4.5 months no results

onetwo

Hi... well like the title says after 4.5 months I dont see any improvment on my hairline. I had a small session of about 500 grafts (by a recommended and reputable doc). I am trying to stay positive but its getting more difficult. I am begining to think my HT was a failure. What do you guys think? I started propecia about a month and half ago (after alot of research) to speed up growth but I think I have lost some more hair.

I cant help but think the longer it takes transplanted hair to grow the higher the final yield(if it grows at all), WHat do you guys think?

Hard to tell without pics but 4.5 months is not really far along for some. A lot of people are late bloomers.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

These "no results at 4-6 months" post's are getting tiresome. At 4.5 months it is way to early to know the outcome of your transplant.

Within the next couple months is when you'll see some nice changes, and this should continue for the next year or so.

How big of an area did you cover? 500 grafts is on the very low end of a transplant.

Well most of what i read tells me that @ 3 months it starts to grow under the skin and by month 4 it starts coming out. My 500 is a moderate frontal hairline repair. How common is shedding after starting propecia?

Onetwo,

I understand how stressful it can be to not see that initial growth at around the 3-4 month mark, but like other posters are saying, it's simply too early to start drawing any conclusions. If you'd like to add some photographs to your social profile or hair loss weblog, it will probably help the community offer more accurate advice, but for the time being, understand that you definitely still have plenty of time to mature. Good luck.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks all for your msgs. Its always comforting.

@ future_HT/ I tried taking some (phone) pictures but its just not clear enough. I should buy myself a new camera for christmas I think!

@ sparky/ You mentioned i should see even little hair. The thing is I cannot tell if its new hair or the thining hair that was there b4 the transplant. I just assumed its the thinning hair to avoid disappointment!

@Spex your link is excellent.

Spanker and YouOnlyLiveOnce thanks for your messages.

Could anyone tell me about shedding with propecia. because I think am losing more hair with propecia. is it gonna come back or should I stop???

500 might sound like a large number, but as transplants go it is very small and at 4.5 months when only partial growth will have occured, it could be easy to see the result as insignificant -- especially if the grafts were widely spread out and/or planted among existing hair which has taken a visible hit due to the possible Propecia shed.

Or were the grafts concentrated in a small area? If they are in a small area and that area was bald to begin with then those factors would make the progress of the grafts much easier to monitor.

Your first step should definitely be to contact your surgeon though.

Regarding Propecia and shedding. The shed is considered normal and even a sign that the drug is working. I myself never experienced one (not that I could notice, anyway) but typically the hair does grow back. I want to be fully positive for you but at the same time I want to give you the full deal (as I understand it), so I will say that some people do report that the hair never returned after the shed. That has been the experience of some Propecia users online; but the online hairloss 'scene' is skewed towards the negative as unhappy people are more likely to speak up. I believe the stats are on your side and would advise you to continue with the drug.

I wish you the best.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks mattj

I would'nt say its concentrated in one area . Actually the 500 was on my two temples with a little in the middle. I feel the temples have receeded a little bit more especially after strating propecia hence my question whether it'll grow back. I will wait a few more weeks before contacting my doctor. However I really appreciate your comments and honesty on shedding. I will continue the drug for now.

You're gonna make yourself go bald by worrying so much =]

When I started propecia I had a pretty big 2 days shed. It was completely obvious I was shedding. When showering I was losing close to 50 hairs and I had never experienced that before. It was deff nerve racking but I just stuck with the meds and I feel it was a good choice.

I'm about 2.5 months out from my HT so I know how hard the waiting period can be and how much you want to check in the mirror to see any change. If you contact your doctor he'll probably tell you the same stuff you're hearing here. At this point as hard as it is to do, you gotta just wait.

Happy growing bud. Hopefully by summer you'll be a successful transplant patient

Just to chime in...I'm about 3.5 months out from an 869 grafts procedure and haven't seen anything (not that I can tell) yet either. I too have thin hair in the area where the hair was transplanted so it's hard to know what is new growth or what was there already.

The thing is everyone kind of says that the results "sneak up on you." Seems strange to me as you should be able to visibly see new hairs growing out of your scalp but I guess all we can do is be patient. From what I've read, 6 months seems to be a better baromoter so give it a little more time.

Question fro all those who talk about small procedures. I understand that smaller procedures will not yield the same density but does a smaller procedure make it harder to detect new growth?

• 4 weeks later...

Give it some time, young hair padawan. It takes time. Some grow early ( I was fortunate to have that) and some takes longer. If your 9 - 12 months out without growth, then worry. Mine took 18 months to really take full shape.

500 was all i needed to repair the fontal loss although it would not be to its original thickness so I guess my HT was for the visual effect as I keep my hair low. I also have an average donor density therefore I am being conservative. I am still not sure if my hair is growing but a friend seem to think so.. I hope is right( or maybe he is just being +ve for me). However I think I might have started thining on the vertex area... possibly related to the fact that I started working out a month ago.Next stop Rogaine

Buddy, do not worry. HT is like harvesting, you need to be super patient. 3 months means hair is starting to grow, almost not visible, remember it doesnt grow only but it thickens with time, you may if you are lucky notice it 6 months or could be late bloomer and notice it 8 months but dont worry at all, you are so early. i know how excited you are. If one year passed and didnt see anything or few only grown, then R.I.P, they are buried grafts just like what i had. So fingers crossed and try so much to use minoxidil and MSM tablets to quick the process of growing.

check this out, it may help

http://www.rahalhairtransplant.com/hairtransplantprocedure/graftgrowthtimeline/

for the means time, in order to forget about the time and growth, try using nanogen or toppik to feel the fullness, using these products helped a lot to forget about growth time as it achieved me temporary satisfaction.

Edited by HARIRI

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Thanks HARIRI. In 3 days I will be 6 months post op. I still cant tell if the hairs are new hairs or thinning hairs. I really hope it works but I will give it 8 months at least before I complain. In the mean time I'll probably send the doc my pictures to get his opinion.