put to sleep for donor area?

It is unnecessary to use general anesthesia for hair restoration surgery. Most clinics use localized anesthesia and the patients do not complain of any pain during the course of the entire procedure.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Medically speaking I don't know if this is possible

In practice I don't see the point. Obviously lots of people are nervous about surgery, but by definition you won't be able to see anything unpleasant going on at the back of your head, its not like being in an episode of ER...

There could be some 'stretching' type pain for.a few moments, maybe 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10, but please try and keep this in perspective.... Dentistry is probably worse for most people.

If you are at all technically / medically minded then I would suggest you will find the whole experience fascinating if you stay awake!

Most doctors will twilight you and you will doze or be basically out of it. I was wide awake with nothing more than a tiny dose of Valium and the numbing shots, and it didn't hurt. Was bothered me was the crunching sound :eek:

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

hairz, pain was one of my main concerns before i underwent the surgery. In the end, that was the last thing i could complain about. I must admit i have a fairly low threshold of pain and seriously, there was not much pain during the op. You will have some injections prior to surgery in which u will feel drowsy but definitely awake. However, the pain started kicking in a few hrs after surgery. That hurt a bit but it suddenly subsided late midnight and since then on, i did not suffer any unbearable pain.

Hope that helps!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

It is common to use some form of anesthesia, but some clinics take good care of you (with dvs, cds) to make sure you are completely preoccupied while the procedure is going on.

There will be swelling after the procedure and some minor pain. This is all normal :)

The risks of general anaesthesia ("putting you to sleep") are to great IMO justify it's use in routine hair restoration surgery procedures. In our more invasive procedures, for example, placement of expanders, general anaesthesia or heavy sedation is appropriate. As the others above have pointed out, it's not uncommon to have the fears you express. The good news is, as was stated above, the local anaesthesia procedure, while not painless, is tolerable, and takes only about two minutes to complete. We offer our patients mild sedatives that help sooth those nerves and allow you to relax and "go with the flow".

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors