Very Exiting News: ISHRS Scientific Meeting- Dr. Jerry Cooley

Crashul

You should read through this ongoing ACell discussion.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Very interesting. A couple of points 1) if this has been successful in a small area, why has it not been tried (or if tried not been successful) in larger areas e.g. the entire scalp 2) if plucked head hairs are better (asthetically) than beard hairs, why even bother with the plucking of beard hairs, what benefits do they have over non beard hairs, are they less suseptable to dht??

is this technology likely to lead to HT that have no scars (strip) and an endless supply of donor hair?

2) if plucked head hairs are better (asthetically) than beard hairs, why even bother with the plucking of beard hairs, what benefits do they have over non beard hairs, are they less suseptable to dht??

is this technology likely to lead to HT that have no scars (strip) and an endless supply of donor hair?

i can only speculate on these two points:

2) because it's an interesting experiment with the beard hair, as you've seen it gradually becomes like scalp hair over time and also sometimes "sprouts" a new hair close to its root

I'd say it can lead to endless donor supply, at least in theory for now.

@future ht doc - thanks for the info, i wasn't aware of the existence of that thread.

From the interview, he mentions that plucked scalp hair has seen better results then beard hairs. He also mentions that hair does regrow in the plucked site. The only problem seems to be the percentage of hairs that are growing at the recipient site. Hes been getting up to %50 percent in hair growing from plucked hairs. If with time he could get it up to %80-90, then we should all celebrate. Then the only problem would be the cost, and if the hairs will continue do grow in normal cycles. IF your rich and have money to go and have many procedures done, then this i believe it your cure to baldness. For the rest, i think we just have to wait and see what happens in the next few months or year with this

Very exciting but, as usual, best to see it in the longer term rather than wondering which day to book off next week to get the procedure done!

This definitely sounds like one of the more exciting developments to have come about in the last few years, and is made more exciting by the fact that it offers a potentially 'full' solution to the problem of hairloss. Current drugs and surgeries, whilst fantastic, are essentially making the best of a bad situation. This sounds like, if it can work, the first genuine "cure" for hairloss in the making.

That having been said this seems to be at least a short way off being a usable procedure. The major concern is whether it works in the long term. I am just listening to the presentation as I'm typing this but one issue I don't think has been covered yet is whether the follicle continues to be susceptible to DHT? I am talking purely as conjecture now but one problem I can imagine is that the follicle is essentially 'restarted' so that it grows thick, healthy hair but upon telogen and new anagen growth the hair gets progressively weaker again. I have zero science so I'm talking purely in terms of my own thoughts, but I could see that would be one problem that may or may not be present.

The major issue is being able to accurately test the efficacy of this over time. That could, in theory, take a while, so whilst this is a genuinely exciting new avenue (and it's not very often we can say that) I think a bit of time is going to have to transpire before we can seriously start talking about this as a usable procedure.

This stuff is amazing though, not just for hair but in general. It's truly of huge importance in surgery and it's very exciting indeed! There are, of course, many people with worse conditions than hairloss that could be getting huge benefit from this in years to come, so the double whammy here is what's good for us baldies is also very good for people with serious medical and cosmetic conditions!

If these plucked hairs could last an anagen cycle (2-6 years) this would still would be amazing. Remember that the plucked hairs are being taken from the donor area of the persons scalp, an area that is genetically not prone to DHT breakdown. We will just have to wait to see if hairs last more then a cycle. Again, its comes down to money and percentage of plucked hairs growing in recipient area

very exciting indeed. i was wondering if there were any other doctors who are experimenting with Acell for hair regrowth? the more dr's we have participating the better. thanks for sharing.

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012

Guys,

I had the privilege of viewing Dr. Cooley's presentation on ACell as it relates to hair restoration and hair duplication (formerly known as autocloning follicle regeneration) at this year's annual 2010 ISHRS Scientific meeting (view highlights).

The presentation on autocloning in particular was very exciting although there is still a lot more research and testing needed to address several important unanswered questions about the viability of this method.

For those interested in seeing Dr. Cooley's entire presentation on ACell and hair duplication including photos, visit "Dr. Jerry Cooley's Presentation on ACell MatriStem in Hair Restoration and Hair Duplication (formerly known as Autocloning)".

Best wishes,

Bill