Should I get additional grafts placed during my scar revision?

Some of you might know that my donor strip scar didn't go as planned and I'm getting a scar revision simply because my HT surgeon is unhappy with the results.

I've been thinking and now considering getting additional grafts placed in the recipient area.

The reason I'm thinking this is because I'm already going in for a scar revision, I might as well get some grafts transplanted right?

What would you guys do if you were me?

I just sent Dr Cooley an email to see if he would advise to do it or not.

We had a consultation and I never really brought it up because the 1st HT was adequate.

Baldtom, Check out my profile, I've been documenting my results for the past 8 months

Regardless of what the HT surgeon says, does anyone think it would be a bad idea to press forward with this? Again, I'm thinking of "time spent" on this because I'm basically getting another HT if you know what I mean.

It really depend on how wide the scar is and how tight the scalp is in the surrounding area. Have you been doing scalp stretching exercises? Maybe the donor strip could be made a little longer than the original to obtain some additional grafts for the next procedure. Is the next procedure going to have a two layer donor closure used to try and reduce the amount of tension at the wound margins?

The width of the scar is about 4mm and in terms of laxity, my scalp is quite loose. I have not been doing scalp exercises because Dr. Cooley mentioned not to do anything until November since I'm 8 months post op. He actually only recommends a slight massage and to NOT do scalp exercises.

In terms of length, the strip scar is 31cm long, so I don't think going any longer will happen, but I do expect if I were to get additional grafts, it would be based on how width, not length....

In my case, the donor stretch was not due to my laxity, I have really really good laxity right now.. (very odd scenario)

I guess it depends on when the scar revision is happening vs if you feel you need extra density at that time. I wonder if it's too early to judge right now. I also wonder how many grafts it would take to make a cosmetic difference. You'll also need to keep in mind how many more grafts you'll need down the road for your crown and/or midscalp and/or receeding side.

Tough call that I think you'll probably have to trust heavily in the advice of your doc.

I agree with Dr. Charles. It all depends on the width of your scar. Beware of the enemy of good is perfection. Meaning, if you have a good hair transplant, just improve the scar....

If you try to get more hair and improve the scar, you may do neither one perfectly.

I've posted contradictory threads on this specific issue. One is something like "the double edged sword" encouraging just fixing the scar.... And at the same time we've done several guys who had hair greed and wanted more hair more than getting the "perfect" scar. I'm up for either, as long as the patient knows the issues and understands the ramifications.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for the feedback.

I spoke with Dr. Cooley and considering the level of my hairloss and the amount of grafts I already had about a year ago, he only wants to fix the scar.

He did mention that a few grafts will be removed in the process and they will be transplanted accordingly

I'm glad that the HT Surgeon's on this site give a unbiased opinion, while there are a lot of scam artist that would have easily recommended I get more grafts.

Kudos to many of you Dr's out there :)

Dr. Cooley seems to be "all in the patients best interests", so I'm sure whatever call he makes is the right one ;)

I wonder how many grafts the revision will have?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D