QR 678 shots to get back lost hair?

suresh_reddy

Hi,

I read this in todays newspaper. Looks to be a miracle technique if this works:

A medical couple in Hyderabad, Debraj Shome and Rinky Kapoor, claim that their home-grown invention, QR 678, could arrest the most stubborn cases of hairfall ...

The couple say their invention required four years of research, passing through various stages of development in the laboratories of the Tata Memorial Hospital, IIT Mumbai and Apollo Hospital in Hyderabad. "If there is no research paper on it yet," says Dr Shome, "it is only because we have still not patented the molecule, which is basically a mix of many growth factors ...

(see the "Times of India" for more information)

thoughts on this? Have you heard about this before? Any experiences ?

Suresh.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc
removed outside link

Suresh,

Thank you for sharing this. This product seems to follow an emerging trend of physicians, companies, and inventors trying to be the first one to successfully create a 'stem cell' based, injectable treatment for hair loss. I haven't heard anything regarding the specific product you've mentioned (although the article is quite vague), but there are various other discussion topics in this forum ('Future Medical Treatments') that discuss these new hypothetical treatments and the individuals responsible.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Future HT Doc, what do you make of this link describing the solution?

I am in deep trouble and ready to clutch at any and every straw at times, and this seems to have come just in the nick of time. Would appreciate your insight!!

I do hope its safe and does not blow up into a finasteride kinda thing. :-(

Edited by Future_HT_Doc
outside link removed

Akash,

To be honest, I'm unsure. All these new types of 'stem cell' therapies are quite new, and I would personally approach with 'cautious optimism.' I would probably stick with proven, effective, safe products for the time being.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Future HT Doc, isnt this something different than stem cell stuff? They say they have a molecule...and then give 8-13 shots every 3 weeks.

To be frank, both the docs look pretty young and "raw"...so that makes me a wee bit skeptical. And they dont describe their magic molecule.

They have a contact US page which I had posted before, are there any specific questions that i can ask, would appreciate your guidance.

I am pretty scared of Fin thanks to my mother, a doc, giving me a blasting..but even so, wanted to make sure i ask the right things.

Akash,

I'm frankly a bit confused as to their methods. In one instance, they describe a cellular based therapy which follows the same lines of just about every other major company out there. However, they make the product seem very mysterious and refer to it as the 'molecule.' However, the 'results' section of the website features several before and after pictures of individuals who have received mesotherapy injections into the scalp. If this is the secret formula, then I'm afraid these physicians are a bit behind the times.

Mesotherapy is a very common compound used in cosmetic medicine. In fact, it has been popular in the US since the late 1980's as a treatment for cellulite, obtuse veins, and dissolving fat deposits. I know it's been applied to hair loss before, but it's my understanding that it's not a significant treatment.

I'm not here to provide medical advice, but I would highly suggest you review these types of 'miracle treatments' with a very critical eye and stick to proven methods (such as finasteride and minoxidil) for the time being.

stick to proven methods (such as finasteride and minoxidil) for the time being.

I always agree on this statement! Even if you are at your wits end and try Avodart, even though it's not officially approved. Save the big bucks for a transplant session if need be :cool:

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Thanks Future HT Doc!! Valuable insight. I sent you a PM with some more details of their claims about what they have revealed. Dont know if it makes sense since I am really not upto date with all the terms they used in the description.

Well I mailed them and what I heard back was they did an accidental discovery 4 years back where they discovered "growth factors" could influence hair loss. One of the authors blog states that the Growth factors are proteins which bind to receptors on target cells, influence hair growth and are present locally (am paraphrasing somewhat, this is not my field).

So using some detective work they came up with some 5 growth factors, combined them, and did a bunch of studies where they made a bunch of mix and match proportions and tested it on 25 people. Of them one group of five showed results.

So they then did a double blind study on 750 people which was successful.

Blind experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Results are more than 80% growth for 90% patients.

Another report suggests this has something do to stem cell therapy, and the authors state that this "miracle drug" referred to as a molecule contains the five growth factors. 10 ml injections as "mesotherapy" every 3 weeks, some 8 times. The authors claim that since all growth factors occur locally in the human body, it is safe.

Now, my issues are- please note I am NOT an expert on all this or even as informed as most of you guys are. If I am wrong someplace, please inform me, I will appreciate it.Future HT Doc also pointed out a couple of valid points.

1. Growth has not really been broken out in what proportion where and how. Surely some would have seen a lot of success, some less. What exactly do they mean by 80% for more than 90%? What is that 80% growth...it could mean somebody just had 2 hairs pop up and that was "growth" and the rest remained as is?

2. If this involves stem cell therapy, isnt that dangerous, injecting somebody elses cells/organic material under your own skin?

3.Is mesotherapy even safe? Is their logic, its what the body has/used to have, so giving it back is ok? Would suck to wake up five years later and see all sorts of stuff on your head, dangerous stuff that is or have any other long term health issues

4.No pics beyond what is their on their website, only 3 pairs. Surely if there are so many success stories there are more pics?

5. When exactly is their patent due? They say they are working on approvals in different countries including the US, is it possible to check up the validity? The doctors/inventors names are Dr Debraj Shome and Dr Rinky Agarwal (lady)

Guys, if you can help me out with the above or come up with a list of qeustions I can attempt to dig out some answers.

This looks promising but... Their PA says, if this didnt work why would people visit from abroad, well there is a logic to that, but then again, to a drowning man, every string looks like a rope, as they say, so people going for it is not an answer by itself.

So your insight is appreciated.

If this works out, it could be helpful.

Thanks

Edited by Akash

Certainly looks interesting but, as Future HT Doc suggests, I would urge major caution with any new treatment. The website I visited (the clinic run by the people who developed this) doesn't have a lot of good photo evidence. Also, being cynical but also practical, it seems to offer a suspiciously large range of plastic/cosmetic surgery procedures in a lot of areas other than hair restoration. I'm a little bit dubious they'd be able to offer excellent service in such a wide range of procedures whilst finding time to cure the world of baldness. I know I'm being cynical, but cynicism does pay in the face of uncertainty.

That having been said it could be a very exciting and, more importantly, working treatment; who knows? We have to remain optimistic and there is so much movement on the stem cell front one gets the general opinion that there is starting to develop a genuine momentum in this line of treatment.

It says on the website they're preparing to get patented and being considered for publication and presentation on an international basis. My non-professional advice, for what it's worth, would be that anybody who is considering this wait at least a year or two and see how things pan out. If this is a safe, easy, cost effective and actually working treatment it won't take long for it to go public in quite a big way. If and when it's becoming established as a genuine and safe way to restore hair then it's time to start thinking about ways forward.

I'm hoping they post up some more thorough examples of the results soon. I'm always a bit cautious when 'revolutionary' treatments post up 2 or 3 photo comparisons because my gut instinct would be if this was a thoroughly tested, approved and used treatment there would be dozens of photographs of various patients and results. Of course it's a fairly new procedure so I could be expecting a bit too much, but any reputable HT doctor, for example, will have dozens or often hundreds of photo results to browse through because the work is good and is genuine.

What I'm most excited about, overall, is the general increase of activity from lots of different research and development companies on this issue of injectable stem-cell based treatments. Whilst it doesn't point to anything definite, you just get the feeling some of this procedures and new ideas must be showing promise in trialling. I reckon we're still at least a couple or so years away from concrete usable treatments, but I do get the impression within the next five years we're going to have two or three really good alternatives or compliments to HTs, finasteride and minoxidil.

Certainly looks interesting but, as Future HT Doc suggests, I would urge major caution with any new treatment. The website I visited (the clinic run by the people who developed this) doesn't have a lot of good photo evidence. Also, being cynical but also practical, it seems to offer a suspiciously large range of plastic/cosmetic surgery procedures in a lot of areas other than hair restoration. I'm a little bit dubious they'd be able to offer excellent service in such a wide range of procedures whilst finding time to cure the world of baldness. I know I'm being cynical, but cynicism does pay in the face of uncertainty.

That having been said it could be a very exciting and, more importantly, working treatment; who knows? We have to remain optimistic and there is so much movement on the stem cell front one gets the general opinion that there is starting to develop a genuine momentum in this line of treatment.

It says on the website they're preparing to get patented and being considered for publication and presentation on an international basis. My non-professional advice, for what it's worth, would be that anybody who is considering this wait at least a year or two and see how things pan out. If this is a safe, easy, cost effective and actually working treatment it won't take long for it to go public in quite a big way. If and when it's becoming established as a genuine and safe way to restore hair then it's time to start thinking about ways forward.

I'm hoping they post up some more thorough examples of the results soon. I'm always a bit cautious when 'revolutionary' treatments post up 2 or 3 photo comparisons because my gut instinct would be if this was a thoroughly tested, approved and used treatment there would be dozens of photographs of various patients and results. Of course it's a fairly new procedure so I could be expecting a bit too much, but any reputable HT doctor, for example, will have dozens or often hundreds of photo results to browse through because the work is good and is genuine.

What I'm most excited about, overall, is the general increase of activity from lots of different research and development companies on this issue of injectable stem-cell based treatments. Whilst it doesn't point to anything definite, you just get the feeling some of this procedures and new ideas must be showing promise in trialling. I reckon we're still at least a couple or so years away from concrete usable treatments, but I do get the impression within the next five years we're going to have two or three really good alternatives or compliments to HTs, finasteride and minoxidil.

Actually I thought the picture they showed, looked good... expect the fact that it was not under a flash and there was only ONE.. LoL.... That scares me right there.. IF these companies want ppl to believe them then they cant show 1, they need to post several.. Otherwise how do they expect ppl to spend money based on 1 picture.. you'd be a FOOL.

• 2 months later...

Guys, the weblink for the Esthetic Clinic shows more pics. I am not associated with the clinic in any manner (commercially or personal) & this is purely for informative purposes, so I hope the link is ok.

Hair - Latest Research | Hair Growth | Patent for Hair Growth | Hair Product | Goodbye to Baldness | Hair Loss | Hair Restoration | Hair Care

Now, heres the thing, a few weeks back, the link had 4 patients in it & the pictures were all messed up. It was, to say the least, not convincing.

These pics appear a bit more structured and logical. That is, each section of pics is different, and correspond to different people.

I just got off the phone discussing this treatment with an expert in molecular biology. Thoughts:

- Not FDA approved. FDA approval = some level of reliability regarding claims on safety

- Injecting proteins. What happens to these proteins. They are ostensibly signallers for hair growth to resume. But what happens over the long term thanks to excess proteins in scalp, could they cause other effects?

Just because similar/same proteins existed in scalp does not mean if you saturate scalp with different proportion of proteins, things will be the same

- The proteins are not injected to bloodstream, so they dont enter blood. Actually, there are many tiny blood vessels in scalp, so one way or the other proteins will be absorbed systemically question, though is in what form and what will be the long term effects.

- Proteins are very potent things, they have been linked to even cancer

Basically, it appears high risk....

Has anyone tried this treatment out yet, or spoken/met the Doctors - Shome & Kapoor to note what their responses are?

Could they please ask/clarify the above questions.

Thank you for the update.

- Injecting proteins. What happens to these proteins. They are ostensibly signallers for hair growth to resume. But what happens over the long term thanks to excess proteins in scalp, could they cause other effects?

Just because similar/same proteins existed in scalp does not mean if you saturate scalp with different proportion of proteins, things will be the same

- The proteins are not injected to bloodstream, so they dont enter blood. Actually, there are many tiny blood vessels in scalp, so one way or the other proteins will be absorbed systemically question, though is in what form and what will be the long term effects.

I majored in Biology in college and feel I was exposed to a significant degree of Molecular Biology and Embryology, and issues related to injecting supposed growth factor proteins (such as these) have always been my greatest concern with regard to injectable therapies.

Thanks Future HT Doc, I am thinking of giving these guys a call and then see what they make of my queries. Would you have something that I should ask?

My queries

-FDA approval timeline

-Concern about protein injections, in particular whether they are not causing any signal effects for cancer etc

- Whether proportion is the same as was originally in scalp

- Any details about how many patients and how many years (more years and no complaints hopefully)

- More details about results (one place they say 60-70% regrowth, another 80-90%, which is right)

- What topicals do they speak of post treatment

Edited by Akash

• 3 weeks later...

Future HT Doc, i like most of your posts, you seem to be well informed. I ve some queries in this regard.

Is aldactone (Spironolactone), finasteride a better combination than finasteride alone?

whats is the difference between generic finasteride and propecia?

can anyone elaborate to me about HSC?what exactly is it composed of?

Isn't saw palmetto extract considered to be more effective than minoxidil?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, Please check this link for more info on QR 678.

Please take caution and do your homework!!

(Promotional Link Removed by Moderator)

A brief on the treatment from one of the users

"The doctor (Dr.Rinky Kapoor) has till this point made no promises about anything. Never has she said "your entire head of hair will grow back after 5 sessions" - so please be cautious about the media hype. Most of their customers come from within India and perhaps the Gulf region (I think I am the only one that has trekked it from Europe, and have only done so because I have a home in India). The shots themselves are extremely superficial - you barely feel them. In contrast to regular mesotherapy which I receive back home, it was a painless experience. She claims that the stem cells they are working with need not be injected deep.

After my first treatment, she gave me steroidal creme (?!) and minoxidil 5%. I have had bad experiences with minoxidil made in India, so I opted not to use it. I know for a fact it does not affect my hair growth in the least, and has in the past, only made it worse.

The steroidal creme I used for a week, but the instructions on the box clearly said prolonged use is unhealthy. It is generally prescribed for people with proper scalp infections - so I am still unclear as to why I was told to use it."

Edited by TakingThePlunge
Promotional Link

@Rajat231

Buddy can you tell me what treatment are you taking?

To All,

I was trying to get an appointment to see Debraj Shome or Dr Kapoor at the Esthectic clinic at Hyd since December. Called on the no given at their webiste of a gal called Sheetal. She gave me appointment for 18th Feb as the doc was not in India. She told me that the consultation fee is Rs 550/- and I will have to pay Rs20k upfront for 4 injection in advance which I would be injected in aperiod of 2-3 weeks each. I don't know why these guys are so insecure about their product that they are charging so much in advance. I am getting sceptical now.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
PRP therapy is what it's called, and being used in the United states already! Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy....At the cost of about $500.00 to $1000.00 per injection, you would end up spending close to $250,000.00 to get the desired hair count (if signigicant hair loss)

Im not sure how much PRP would help even if you were happy to spend 250k

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

Since, I tried this solution after going through this particular thread; I woe you guys a review.

After calling them I found out they have shifted their base to Mumbai. I had to wait a couple of months before her assistance would book me a date. Visited her on 15th Feb 2012. Now, you would notice that her assistance (was it Nisha?) would not give you the address of the place right away. Says, she is so busy that can't decide where we can meet before 24 hours (kind of vagabond I guess).

Now, that poses a big trouble for me. I have to travel from Bangalore and back, the same day and with out the whereabouts there is no way to plan my travel. Anyways, for the first time I planned to stay over night at Mumbai.

The place for the first consultation was at Raheja-Fortis Hospital, Mahim West, Mumbai. First meet was only to determine if I'm the right candidate for

treatment. Sure enough, I passed. She informed that the area where I had an implant done has a lower chance of regrowth (10-20%). "Other areas we could do something.", she says. 65% at least that is. Now, I asked 65% of what? Answer was too technical for me to understand or remember.

Anyways, out of desperation, I booked the next available slot for the actual treatment. Total cost for the first time.

Hospital registration - 800 rupees.

Her fee - 500 rupees

Next month, before the treatment, I had to pay the 20K; in cash. But, why in cash? That's because, hospital does not know of this or does not support. Also, the medicine is not approved by Indian Medical Association yet. More over, she does not have fixed whereabouts. You might ask who is "she", cause we keep hearing about Dr. Debraj Shome who is a "he". Well, he does not do these small things and have delegated it to her wife Rinky Kapoor. She has a mindfully arrogance, peculiar to new doctors who think arrogance garners respect from patients. Anyone from rural India would understand what I mean.

Anyways, the cash thing was quite unsettling, but I did as asked nevertheless. On asking for a receipt, a non-legally admissible paper with the amount was provided.

The shot, as she calls it, is basically 2ml of the solution mounted on a syringe and pierced all over your scalp. I was advised to keeping taking the next 3 shots, each not more that 45 days apart. She gave me 2 shampoos to be used regularly. 8X and Sebowash, both from Cipla. Sebowash was to be used daily and 8X not more that twice a week along with Minxidril 5%. She was insisting on Finpacia but I did not agree.

On my 3rd sitting she asked me is it my 2nd; they keep no patient record what so ever. On 4th sitting, I pointed to her that the solution is not working. She asked what shampoos and what frequency. To my surprise, the doses should have been 8X everyday and Sebowash max twice (I have the prescription that says otherwise) as Sebowash affects hormone and should not be used too much.

Well, I done being a subject of experiment and left there never to return again. Since then I have learnt to accept my hair the way it is and to never let myself to be fooled. And, that what I would advice you too.

Regards,

A Bald Guy