What are the top hair supplements-Swimmy?

RCWest

I've noticed that Swimmy is pretty knowledgeable about hair supplements, which vitamins to take, etc. What are the top ones to help hair growth?

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Yes RCwest. I absolutely agree with you. It would be really helpful if Swimmy can list down some valuable information here.

Question for Swimmy - I have tried propecia off and on...recently, i had major side effects which included brain fog, depression, anxiety (to a point i could not get up in the morning) and ofcourse ED..I could live with the ED part of it but it was the other stuff that got me scared. I have never felt like this before and i am 33..i stopped taking it 3 weeks back and i feel better now...I am taking homeopathic medicine from India currently but live in the US..What do you think about homeopathic medicine...In addition i am taking Zinc 50mg, Biotion 5000 mg, Rogaine 5% liquid...One of the doctors told me to get on MSM..What do you think about MSM? The same doctor also told me to get on Saw palmetto. but i am hesistant..the reason is because it blocks DHT as well, then why would i not get any side effects from SP? I would really appreciate your response to my post and maybe you can list down some alternative medicine as well..Thanks

I've noticed that Swimmy is pretty knowledgeable about hair supplements, which vitamins to take, etc. What are the top ones to help hair growth?

Well the most powerful "known" supplement for hair loss is Fibroboost. The research on it is amazing.

Ecklonia Cava is also known as a phlorotannin and is 40% fat soluble, this means it acts as both a water and fat soluble anti-oxidant. Ecklonia cava is by far the most versatile supplement I've ever discovered to treat hair loss. Besides it potent inhibition of MMP-9, it effects a whole array of systems.

The polyphenols of Ecklonia cava can last up to 12 hours in human metabolism, while compared to most plant-based tannins have a half-life of just 30 minutes. Ecklonia cava's oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) value, the score for anti-oxidation potential is 8,300, is much higher than most land-based polyphenols.

Ecklonia Cava is one of the most powerful and versatile plant tannins in existence. It's been found to regulate cortisol, lower blood pressure, increase growth hormone levels, lower triglycerides, provides anti-inflammatory effects by a variety of mechanisms, such as inhibition of the NF-kB inflammatory pathway which also serves to normalize blood glucose levels.

The benefits do not end there, besides its ability to penetrate the blood-brain-barrier, offering protection against oxidative stress, it also offers a significant increase in trans-cranial blood flow giving powerful release in alpha brain waves and parasympathetic nerve response. This creates a heightened sense of relaxation and mental alertness. Animal research shows positive increases in gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), noripenepherine and serotonin levels. A large number of human users report improved sleep

In addition, this phlorotannin posesses a potent anti-plasmin inhibition activity, which results in thinner blood viscosity. Generally, the thinner our blood, the longer we live. Ecklonia cava helps maintain normal blood pressure and has been comparable to the ACE inhibitor drug, enalapril.

Recently, it was found that high blood pressure is strongly associated with androgenetic hair loss.

Stabilized R-lipoic Acid in combo with acetly L carnitine (biotin necessary)

The value of Lipoic Acid.

Lipoic acid, also known as Alpha Lipoic acid is a lipid (fat) and water soluble anti-oxidant. Lipoic acid boosts the body's endogenous anti-oxidants like Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) & Glutathione, it also increases the bioavailability of exogenous (outside the body) anti-oxidants like vitamins C & E. Lipoic acid recycles and acts as a carrier or transport for anti-oxidant protection into the mitochondria (cell factory engine).

Lipoic acid offers strong protection against oxidative stress, and not only reactivates vitamins C & E, but regenerates Co-enzyme Q10. Besides these benefits of anti-oxidant protection on multiplicity of actions, the main benefit of Lipoic acid is its effect on glucose metabolism.

The role elevated glucose levels play in the body is highly detrimental to health and hair loss. Lipoic acid boosts mitochondrial production of Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) and serves as a protectant against decreased microvascular profusion, which would otherwise deprive oxygen transport along tiny endothelial passages.

Lipoic acid acts as an insulin mimic, increases glucose transport through muscle cells and reduces glycation. The combination of Lipoic acid and Acetyl L-Carnitine has been shown to reverse neurogenerative deficits in aged rats back to near normalcy. The list of attributes is seemingly endless.

Iodine. For thyroid Since 90% of the population is deficient in it.(if take Selenium- methylselenocysteine later in the day)

Thyroid problems, both hypothyroid and hyperthyroid are epidemically undiagnosed. This is because the standard thyroid test, known as thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) is not a reliable indication of thyroid status, except in advanced cases. The reason is due to thyroid hormone resistance, in which tissues are insensitive to thyroid hormone.

Under performing thyroid is strongly correlated with elevated Lipoprotein(a) which is not only linked with androgenetic alopecia, but appears to be linked with Dickkopf-related protein 1 (DKK-1), a gene that is significantly upregulated in balding scalps.

Both insufficient and excess levels of thyroid hormones T3 and/or T4 can result in hair loss. For example, T4 prolongs the duration of the hair growth phase (anagen) possibly due to the down-regulation of TGF-beta2.

These are also beneficial for hair. Its a little late so I won't be able to get into all of this with a lot of detail. But to finish the list off

Curcumim and Resveratrol together synergistically.

Vitamin D3 with K2-MK7

Krill Oil

Magnesium

Supplements you should avoid are.. Iron and Calcium. Unless you have a serious deficiency. But its unlikely a Young male should be deficient in any of these

If you have a any questions. I'll get back. But the one thing is there is isn't just one single vitamin that will cure your hair loss. Usually with a healthy diet and all the top mentioned above together should halt hair loss. There are also plenty of other supplements out there with known benefits for hair Such as Green Tea, brewers yeast, etc. But as with anybody everyone is different and some may respond to certain things better than others. Usually finding the right right vitamins to fight hair loss can be a trial and error. But generally its best to start with the top and go from there.

Yes RCwest. I absolutely agree with you. It would be really helpful if Swimmy can list down some valuable information here.

Question for Swimmy - I have tried propecia off and on...recently, i had major side effects which included brain fog, depression, anxiety (to a point i could not get up in the morning) and ofcourse ED..I could live with the ED part of it but it was the other stuff that got me scared. I have never felt like this before and i am 33..i stopped taking it 3 weeks back and i feel better now...I am taking homeopathic medicine from India currently but live in the US..What do you think about homeopathic medicine...In addition i am taking Zinc 50mg, Biotion 5000 mg, Rogaine 5% liquid...One of the doctors told me to get on MSM..What do you think about MSM? The same doctor also told me to get on Saw palmetto. but i am hesistant..the reason is because it blocks DHT as well, then why would i not get any side effects from SP? I would really appreciate your response to my post and maybe you can list down some alternative medicine as well..Thanks

I'm not sure on the homeopathic medicine. What is it you are doing? There are reports of it helping MPB though.

MSM is good for thickening and growing out your hair faster. It won't do much in the way of regrowth. It may slow down hair loss slightly. But Its even better if taking with a proper vitamin C supplement. They work well together.

Saw Palmetto is similar to fin. But it probably wont be as powerful as Fin is. So you may not experience the same side effects. Or at the least no where near what you experienced in the past. The best thing to do is start on a very low does and work your way up slowly to higher doses. Then stop and back down to the previous dosage when you start to feel symptoms.

By alternative medicines. You mean topicals or internals?

Thank you Swimmy! That is a good start. This kind of information needs to be a sticky :D

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Hi Swimmy

Thanks for taking the time to respond to our questions..I asked my homeopathic doctor about the ingredients and she said that there are a number of plants and other herbs that go in the solution..she did not give me the names but i trust her since she has given me effective medicine for some of the other problems i have had..If you want i will probe her in more detail when i go to india next month..

all the supplements that you mentioned, where can one buy them..Do they have any side effects. I wanted to ask you Saw Palmetto in more detail. If SP also inhibits DHT(in fact both kinds of DHT), and Fin reduced only one, then why would i not get sides with SP..

By alternate medicine, i meant what ever except Fin..i have had such a terrible time with Fin that i dont want to go anywhere near it...That would include either topicals or pills..i am using rogaine currently

At the risk of getting slammed by a lot of you all out there I'll throw my 2 cents in. Note that it is free advice....and you get what you pay for.

There are lots of anecdotal reports of supplements, shampoos, lasers....out there that do wonders for hair and most anything else. Before you spend significant money, try to find ONE, more if you want, but I bet you will have trouble finding even one: controlled study published in a peer reviewed (meaning other doctors have examined the study techniques and agree its not likely a scam) journal published in a real medical journal in the US...or even Europe (who may be a bit more progressive on this than us in the US) showing whatever you are interested in actually has a CLINICAL effect in human beings.

IF you can find even one study, then I'd say its likely worth a try. IF you can't ask yourself why. ALL doctors want to show how great their results are. IF a doctor finds something that works, I guarantee you that he wants to be the first to publish it!

Now I'll pipe down. I can completely understand folks wanting to try things they hear about and avoid or augment meds and surgery. All I'm saying is know what you are spending your hard earned money on.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

At the risk of getting slammed by a lot of you all out there I'll throw my 2 cents in. Note that it is free advice....and you get what you pay for.

There are lots of anecdotal reports of supplements, shampoos, lasers....out there that do wonders for hair and most anything else. Before you spend significant money, try to find ONE, more if you want, but I bet you will have trouble finding even one: controlled study published in a peer reviewed (meaning other doctors have examined the study techniques and agree its not likely a scam) journal published in a real medical journal in the US...or even Europe (who may be a bit more progressive on this than us in the US) showing whatever you are interested in actually has a CLINICAL effect in human beings.

IF you can find even one study, then I'd say its likely worth a try. IF you can't ask yourself why. ALL doctors want to show how great their results are. IF a doctor finds something that works, I guarantee you that he wants to be the first to publish it!

Now I'll pipe down. I can completely understand folks wanting to try things they hear about and avoid or augment meds and surgery. All I'm saying is know what you are spending your hard earned money on.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

From the OP. Everything can be supported here with studies.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

The inhibitory effects of eckol and dieckol from E... [biol Pharm Bull. 2006] - PubMed result

Association of androgenetic alopecia and hypertension.

Ahouansou S, Le Toumelin P, Crickx B, Descamps V.

Department of Public Health, Avicenne Hospital, Assistance Publique-H?pitaux de Paris, Bobigny Cedex. France.

Abstract

Androgenetic alopecia is considered to be associated with coronary heart disease but the explanation of this association remains unknown. Hypertension is highly prevalent in patients with coronary heart disease. Essential hypertension is linked to hyperaldosteronism and spironolactone, an antihypertensive drug which is a mineralocorticoid receptor antagonist, has been used for a long time in the treatment of androgenic alopecia. We recently observed in a double transgenic mouse model that overexpression of a mineralocorticoid receptor targeted to the skin induced the development of alopecia. We prospectively studied the association of hypertension and androgenetic alopecia in Caucasian men. Two hundred and fifty Caucasian men aged 35-65 years were consecutively recruited by 5 general practitioners (50 per practitioner). Data collected included age, androgenetic alopecia score with a simplified Norwood's score (0-4), blood pressure or history of hypertension, smoking, history of diabetes mellitus or hyperlipidemia, familial history of androgenetic alopecia, and treatment. Chi-square, Fisher exact tests and linear regression model were used for statistical analysis. Hypertension was strongly associated to androgenetic alopecia (p < 0.001). Linear regression tests confirmed that this association was independent of age : odds ratio was 2.195 (95% CI : 1.1-4.3). Familial history of androgenetic alopecia was also strongly associated with androgenetic alopecia : odds ratio was 10.870 (95% CI : 4.3-27.1). Other variables (diabetes mellitus, hyperlipidemia, smoking, treatment) were not associated with androgenetic alopecia. We were limited by a relatively small study sample but in this study androgenetic alopecia was strongly associated with hypertension. Association of androgenetic alopecia and hyperaldosteronism warrants additional studies. The use of specific mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists could be of interest in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia.

Some more info

Hi Swimmy

Thanks for taking the time to respond to our questions..I asked my homeopathic doctor about the ingredients and she said that there are a number of plants and other herbs that go in the solution..she did not give me the names but i trust her since she has given me effective medicine for some of the other problems i have had..If you want i will probe her in more detail when i go to india next month..

all the supplements that you mentioned, where can one buy them..Do they have any side effects. I wanted to ask you Saw Palmetto in more detail. If SP also inhibits DHT(in fact both kinds of DHT), and Fin reduced only one, then why would i not get sides with SP..

By alternate medicine, i meant what ever except Fin..i have had such a terrible time with Fin that i dont want to go anywhere near it...That would include either topicals or pills..i am using rogaine currently

I usually buy them at Iherb and sometimes swanson. Sometimes swanson has the same brand for slightly cheaper. Its a lot cheaper overall than going to a vitamin store.

You can possibly get sides from Saw. They just wont be as powerful as those you got from fin. So don't expect the same. Fin also effects more than one outlet. It effects the neurosteroids as well. It completely messes with your hormonal conversion. Some theorize that saw doesn't effect serum DHT levels. But the androgen receptors

Alternatives to fin? Do you mean solely DHT blockers? Or the new cutting edge stuff being explored like growth factors?

Swimmy,

I see nothing whatsoever that suggests that a clinical effect on hair loss prevention or regrowth was shown in those studies. I don't even see that they were looking for that.

Perhaps I missed it. Would you cut and paste or put a link in so that I can see that it was shown to effect hair?

Thanks

Dr. L

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I see nothing whatsoever that suggests that a clinical effect on hair loss prevention or regrowth was shown in those studies. I don't even see that they were looking for that.

Perhaps I missed it. Would you cut and paste or put a link in so that I can see that it was shown to effect hair?

Thanks

Dr. L

There are plenty of studies that show the top supplements I listed reduce scalp inflammation, decalcification, lower free radicals, and help with insulin. All of these things contribute to genetic hair loss. Obviously if these issues are addressed it benefits hair loss. Its called putting the pieces together.

Example. High blood pressure is strongly associated with androgenetic hair loss

Abstract

Androgenetic alopecia is considered to be associated with coronary heart disease but the explanation of this association remains unknown. Hypertension is highly prevalent in patients with coronary heart disease. Essential hypertension is linked to hyperaldosteronism and spironolactone, an antihypertensive drug which is a mineralocorticoid receptor antagonist, has been used for a long time in the treatment of androgenic alopecia. We recently observed in a double transgenic mouse model that overexpression of a mineralocorticoid receptor targeted to the skin induced the development of alopecia. We prospectively studied the association of hypertension and androgenetic alopecia in Caucasian men. Two hundred and fifty Caucasian men aged 35-65 years were consecutively recruited by 5 general practitioners (50 per practitioner). Data collected included age, androgenetic alopecia score with a simplified Norwood's score (0-4), blood pressure or history of hypertension, smoking, history of diabetes mellitus or hyperlipidemia, familial history of androgenetic alopecia, and treatment. Chi-square, Fisher exact tests and linear regression model were used for statistical analysis. Hypertension was strongly associated to androgenetic alopecia (p < 0.001). Linear regression tests confirmed that this association was independent of age : odds ratio was 2.195 (95% CI : 1.1-4.3). Familial history of androgenetic alopecia was also strongly associated with androgenetic alopecia : odds ratio was 10.870 (95% CI : 4.3-27.1). Other variables (diabetes mellitus, hyperlipidemia, smoking, treatment) were not associated with androgenetic alopecia. We were limited by a relatively small study sample but in this study androgenetic alopecia was strongly associated with hypertension. Association of androgenetic alopecia and hyperaldosteronism warrants additional studies. The use of specific mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists could be of interest in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia.

It might sound simple but If I take a supplement that helps lower my blood pressure I'm helping my hair loss.

These supplements are suggested based on there ability to go after the underlying causes of hair loss

# Reducing insulin producing foods or the impact of such foods on glucose and insulin.

# Controlling over expressed DHT

# Removing heavy metals

# Correcting metabolic conundrums

# Reducing oxidative stress

# Improving glucose metabolism

# Optimizing thyroid function

# Normalizing estrogen metabolism

# Balancing prostaglandins

# Curtailing inflammation

# Balancing intestinal microflora

Edited by Swimmy

Some more interesting studies

Vertex balding, plasma insulin-like growth factor 1, and insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3.

Platz EA, Pollak MN, Willett WC, Giovannucci E.

Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.

Abstract

BACKGROUND: A recent report suggested that men with vertex balding have higher levels of plasma insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1). The association of its major carrier protein, insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3 (IGFBP-3), with male pattern hair loss has not been examined.

OBJECTIVE: We evaluated the relations of plasma concentrations of IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 with vertex balding in middle-aged and elderly men.

METHODS: Participants were 431 male members of the Health Professionals Follow-up Study who responded to a question in 1992 on their hair pattern at 45 years of age and who were 47 to 81 years old when they provided a blood specimen in 1993-1994. Odds ratios (ORs) of vertex balding associated with IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 were estimated from logistic regression models mutually adjusting for each other and controlling for age at blood draw.

RESULTS: Of the 431 men, 128 had vertex balding at age 45. Compared with men who were not balding, for a 1 standard deviation increase in plasma IGF-1 level (72.4 ng/mL), the OR for vertex balding was 1. 31 (95% CI, 0.95-1.81). For a 1 standard deviation increase in plasma IGFBP-3 (957 ng/mL), the OR for vertex balding was 0.62 (95% CI, 0.44-0.88).

CONCLUSION: Older men with vertex balding have lower circulating levels of IGFBP-3 and higher levels of IGF-1 when controlling for IGFBP-3 level.

Hormones and hair patterning in men: a role for insulin-like growth factor 1?

Signorello LB, Wuu J, Hsieh C, Tzonou A, Trichopoulos D, Mantzoros CS.

Department of Epidemiology and Harvard Center for Cancer Prevention, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA.

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Androgens are important in hair growth and patterning, whereas growth hormone substitution enhances their effect in growth hormone-deficient men. No previous study has jointly evaluated the function of sex steroids, sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), and insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) in determining hair patterning in men.

OBJECTIVE: We assessed the relationship between circulating hormone measurements and both head and chest hair patterning in a sample of elderly men.

METHODS: Fifty-one apparently healthy men older than 65 years of age were studied cross-sectionally. Head and chest hair patterning was assessed by a trained interviewer. Morning blood samples from all subjects were used for measurements of testosterone, estradiol, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, SHBG, and IGF-1.

RESULTS: Results were obtained from logistic regression models, adjusting simultaneously for all the measured hormones and age. Men with higher levels of testosterone were more likely to have vertex baldness (odds ratio [OR] = 2.5, 95% confidence interval [CI: 0.9 to 7.8] per 194 ng/dL increment of testosterone). In addition, for each 59 ng/mL increase in IGF-1, the odds of having vertex baldness doubled (95% CI [1.0 to 4.6]). Those who were found to have higher circulating levels of SHBG were less likely to have dense hair on their chest (OR = 0.4, 95% CI [0.1 to 0.9] per 24 nmol/L increment in SHBG]).

CONCLUSION: Testosterone, SHBG, and IGF-1 may be important in determining hair patterning in men.

When we eat, our blood sugar is suppose to rise, yet when we eat foods that are high glycemic, more insulin is needed to convert sugar into fat (Triglycerides). Higher and higher blood sugar levels, due to chronic ingestion of high glycemic foods could lead to insulin resistance. A few very notable studies have shown correlations between insulin resistance and balding, as well as heart disease, which is also "positively" associated with insulin resistance.

The higher our triglyceride count is, the more of a fatty build-up occurs in the liver, hence the more of a prevalence of high triglycerides in the blood. High density lipoprotein (HDL), also known as the "good" cholesterol carrys triglycerides in the blood to the liver. If it exhibits this action frequently, your HDL levels will be low as a result. One of the functions of the liver is to remove insulin from the bloodstream. However the more triglycerides carried to the liver via HDL (leading up to a fatty liver) the less efficient the liver is at removing the insulin from the blood stream.

As a result, the pancreas has to release more insulin to lower the blood sugar, hence triglyceride levels go up, the livers fatty deposits build up, more insulin is needed, which acts on the fat cells (called adipocyte differentiation) and the brain as a feedback loop to make you crave more insulin producing foods.

Chronically elevated glucose levels lead to increased cortisol release and a cascade of inflammatory cytokines, a rise in Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) which has been shown to be elevated in balding dermal papilla cells.

Hair follicle regeneration are dependent upon a complex series of cross-talks involving cytokines from dermal papilla cells via paracrine and autocrine mechanisms. These are mitogenic substances influenced by way of hormonal signaling.

=

Edited by Swimmy

This is a little longer so I'll post a link at the end

Towards a "free radical theory of graying": melanocyte apoptosis in the aging human hair follicle is an indicator of oxidative stress induced tissue damage

Petra Clara Arckdagger.gif,1, Rupert Overall*,1, Katharina Spatz*, Christiane Liezman*, Bori Handjiskidagger.gif, Burghard F. KlappDagger.gif, Mark A. Birch-Machinsect.gif and Eva Milena Johanne Peters*,1 * Cutaneous Neuroimmunology, Biomedical Research Center, University Medicine Charit?, Virchow and Mitte Campus;

dagger.gif Psychoneuroimmunology, Biomedical Research Center, University Medicine Charit?, Virchow Campus; and

Dagger.gif Internal Medicine, Psychosomatics, University Medicine Charit?, Mitte Campus, Humboldt-University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany; and

sect.gif Dermatology, Medical School, University of Newcastle, UK

1Correspondence: Biomedical Research Center, Rm. Nr. 2.0549, University Medicine Charit?, Virchow Campus, Humboldt University of Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, Berlin 13353, Germany. E-mail: eva.peters@charite.de or frl_peters@yahoo.com

ABSTRACT

Oxidative stress is generated by a multitude of environmental and endogenous challenges such as radiation, inflammation, or psychoemotional stress. It also speeds the aging process. Graying is a prominent but little understood feature of aging. Intriguingly, the continuous melanin synthesis in the growing (anagen) hair follicle generates high oxidative stress. We therefore hypothesize that hair bulb melanocytes are especially susceptible to free radical-induced aging. To test this hypothesis, we subjected human scalp skin anagen hair follicles from graying individuals to macroscopic and immunohistomorphometric analysis and organ culture. We found evidence of melanocyte apoptosis and increased oxidative stress in the pigmentary unit of graying hair follicles. The "common" deletion, a marker mitochondrial DNA-deletion for accumulating oxidative stress damage, occurred most prominently in graying hair follicles. Cultured unpigmented hair follicles grew better than pigmented follicles of the same donors. Finally, cultured pigmented hair follicles exposed to exogenous oxidative stress (hydroquinone) showed increased melanocyte apoptosis in the hair bulb. We conclude that oxidative stress is high in hair follicle melanocytes and leads to their selective premature aging and apoptosis. The graying hair follicle, therefore, offers a unique model system to study oxidative stress and aging and to test antiaging therapeutics in their ability to slow down or even stop this process.—Arck, P. C., Overall, R., Spatz, K., Liezman, C., Handjiski, B., Klapp, B. F., Birch-Machin, M. A., Peters, E. M. J. Towards a "free radical theory of graying": melanocyte apoptosis in the aging human hair follicle is an indicator of oxidative stress induced tissue damage.melanocyte apoptosis in the aging human hair follicle is an indicator of oxidative stress induced tissue damage -- Arck et al. 20 (9): 1567 -- The FASEB JournalTowards a "free radical theory of graying":

Edited by Swimmy

"Androgenetic alopecia is considered to be associated with coronary heart disease but the explanation of this association remains unknown. Hypertension is highly prevalent in patients with coronary heart disease. Essential hypertension is linked to hyperaldosteronism and spironolactone, an antihypertensive drug which is a mineralocorticoid receptor antagonist, has been used for a long time in the treatment of androgenic alopecia."

So does this mean Spironolactone is actually GOOD or BAD?

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Swimmy, don't get me wrong, I am as wishful as you are that it "makes sense" that supplements would address alopecia, consistently. But medical science is not done by just "putting the pieces together" but rather by controlled studies with numbers that show statistical significance. The articles you reference could allow one to put together an assumption that particular supplements may address hairloss...but scientists have not taken the next step....or perhaps they have and didn't find a clinical effect.

While it may sound sarcastic, its like me predicting that the redskins will beat the colts in a few weeks, simply because at halftime the redskins were beating the texans, who had beaten the colts the week before....

I respectfully disagree with your assumption that putting the assumptions of various studies together will result in a clinical benefit in humans worthy of spending hard earned money on.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

Well here's some info on that

"Androgenetic alopecia is considered to be associated with coronary heart disease but the explanation of this association remains unknown. Hypertension is highly prevalent in patients with coronary heart disease. Essential hypertension is linked to hyperaldosteronism and spironolactone, an antihypertensive drug which is a mineralocorticoid receptor antagonist, has been used for a long time in the treatment of androgenic alopecia." So does this mean Spironolactone is actually GOOD or BAD?

Chronic treatment with the mineralocorticoid hormone aldosterone results in increased anxiety-like behavior.

Hlavacova N, Jezova D.

Laboratory of Pharmacological Neuroendocrinology, Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Vlarska 3, Bratislava, Slovakia.

Abstract

Aldosterone is the last component of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system inducing its peripheral effects via mineralocorticoid receptors (MR). Brain MR bind preferentially glucocorticoids. So far, the role of MR in behavioral functions has been investigated almost exclusively in relation to glucocorticoids. Recently, aldosterone itself has been linked to affective disorders. The aim of this study was to test the hypothesis that chronic elevation of circulating levels of aldosterone leads to increased anxiety. We have investigated the effects of chronic aldosterone treatment on (1) anxiety-like behavior, and (2) basal and stress-induced levels of selected hormones. Forty male Wistar rats were subcutaneously implanted with osmotic minipumps and treated with aldosterone (2 microg/100 g/day) or vehicle for two weeks. Aldosterone concentrations in plasma showed a mild (approximately four-fold) increase at the end of two-week aldosterone treatment. This mild hyperaldosteronism resulted in a significant enhancement of anxiety as demonstrated by alterations in all indicators of anxiety-like behavior measured in the open field and elevated plus-maze tests, without significant changes in measures of general locomotor activity. Aldosterone treatment affected not only the spatiotemporal measures of anxiety, but also the ethological parameters related to exploration and risk assessment. Chronic treatment with aldosterone was associated with increased water intake and decreased plasma renin activity, but failed to modify basal or stress-induced activity of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenocortical axis. The results provide evidence on anxiogenic action of prolonged increase in circulating aldosterone concentrations. Thus, aldosterone may represent an important target for future antidepressant and anxiolytic drug development.

PMID: 18377905 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Spironolactone blocks glucocorticoid-mediated hearing preservation in autoimmune mice.

Gross ND, Kempton JB, Trune DR.

Oregon Hearing Research Center, Department of Otolaryngology--Head & Neck Surgery, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, Oregon 97201-3998, USA.

Abstract

HYPOTHESIS: Although autoimmune sensorineural hearing loss can be effectively treated with corticosteroids, little is known about how these drugs affect cochlear function. MRL/MpJ-Faslpr autoimmune mice treated with a mineralocorticoid (aldosterone) have previously been shown to have hearing improvement equal to those treated with a glucocorticoid (prednisolone). This suggested that the restoration of hearing with steroids was the result of an effect on sodium transport rather than an antiinflammatory or immunosuppressive role. We hypothesized that corticosteroids reverse autoimmune hearing loss through the mineralocorticoid receptor and that blocking the mineralocorticoid receptor will prevent glucocorticoid effects.

METHODS: Spironolactone, a mineralocorticoid receptor antagonist, was administered to MRL/MpJ-Faslpr autoimmune mice alone or in combination with corticosteroids. The four treatment groups were: spironolactone, spironolactone + aldosterone, spironolactone + prednisolone, and untreated water controls. Auditory brainstem response (ABR) thresholds were recorded before and during treatment (2, 3, and 4 mo) to measure the effect of steroids on hearing decline.

RESULTS: Hearing in spironolactone and spironolactone + prednisolone mice showed progressive decline in hearing similar to water controls. The hearing was preserved in spironolactone + aldosterone mice, presumably as a result of the fact that aldosterone has a higher affinity for the mineralocorticoid receptor than spironolactone. Thus, aldosterone was able to maintain cochlear function with autoimmune disease progression, similar to previous reports of aldosterone treatment effects.

CONCLUSIONS: Spironolactone effectively blocked prednisolone from improving hearing in MRL/MpJ-Faslpr autoimmune mice. This offers evidence that the inner ear mineralocorticoid receptor is the therapeutic target for corticosteroids used to treat autoimmune and sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Pharmacologic treatments that selectively target the mineralocorticoid receptor may provide greater clinical benefit with fewer systemic side effects than prednisone in patients with autoimmune sensorineural hearing loss.

PMID: 11889387 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

To blindly submit to the doctor’s request to take spironolactone increases susceptibility to acquire "age-related" hearing loss, as the hormone aldosterone is intimately involved in the sodium-potassium interaction in the inner ear. Many of those who start to lose their hearing could be deficient in aldosterone, or they could be taking an aldosterone receptor blocker like spironolactone.

If one is not taking spirolactone, the hearing loss could result from a deficiency of aldosterone, which is remedied by bio-identical aldosterone and would require the services of a qualified physician, preferably one educated in nutritional medicine.

The logic behind using spirolactone is simple enough, reducing excess aldosterone. After all, the correct balance of sodium and potassium in your body helps maintain the fluids in your body, transmits nerve impulses, and contracts and relaxes your muscles. Too much aldosterone causes sodium retention, which then causes water retention. This combination increases blood pressure and blood volume. However, reducing insulin will address the cause of excessive aldosterone.

Swimmy, don't get me wrong, I am as wishful as you are that it "makes sense" that supplements would address alopecia, consistently. But medical science is not done by just "putting the pieces together" but rather by controlled studies with numbers that show statistical significance. The articles you reference could allow one to put together an assumption that particular supplements may address hairloss...but scientists have not taken the next step....or perhaps they have and didn't find a clinical effect.

While it may sound sarcastic, its like me predicting that the redskins will beat the colts in a few weeks, simply because at halftime the redskins were beating the texans, who had beaten the colts the week before....

I respectfully disagree with your assumption that putting the assumptions of various studies together will result in a clinical benefit in humans worthy of spending hard earned money on.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Actually I would like to clarify something here. This regimen isn't deigned to grow back full heads of hair.I believe that you will achieve some regrowth. But don't expect slick bald spots to be filled in. Unless you respond amazingly.

The regimen itself is designed to stop hair loss in its tracks, to keep the hair you have. The only thing I know that can fill in a nice slick bald spot is a hair transplant, and hopefully in the future histogen .

This theory is in practice. There's a forum dedicated to it. The evidence is mounting(in studies) for the underlying causes listed for MPB as the problem.. So far the supplements listed are good at fighting these underlying causes. Its near fact that inuslin plays a part in hair loss. Theres too many correlations. No offense doctor but I don't need a clinical study for them to tell me Lipoic+carniitine is beneficial for hair. I know that it has a positive effect on Insulin. (Which in itself lowers DHT and helps hair. That's just one benefit.

Now I don't recommend everyone should go out and buy a boatload of supplements I think whomever is interested should study it more deeply. I haven't even scratched the surface of this topic But I don't think people should buy them solely on what I said. To put it simply the rabbit hole goes very deep.

Swimmy, I appreciate your last paragraph. I think you and I both want folks to have mulitple ways to preserve or grow hair. I suspect that the next 10 years will show some successes with non surgical alternatives.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

I usually buy them at Iherb and sometimes swanson. Sometimes swanson has the same brand for slightly cheaper. Its a lot cheaper overall than going to a vitamin store.

You can possibly get sides from Saw. They just wont be as powerful as those you got from fin. So don't expect the same. Fin also effects more than one outlet. It effects the neurosteroids as well. It completely messes with your hormonal conversion. Some theorize that saw doesn't effect serum DHT levels. But the androgen receptors

Alternatives to fin? Do you mean solely DHT blockers? Or the new cutting edge stuff being explored like growth factors?

Hi Swimmy

I would be interested in learning about the new growth factors. Have you had experience using any of those? Have you heard about renokin...it seems to have good reviews

Hi Swimmy

I would be interested in learning about the new growth factors. Have you had experience using any of those? Have you heard about renokin...it seems to have good reviews

I haven't used RENONKIN but I heard they've gone to other forums and spammed their product...Not sure. Usually when I see companies do that its not a good sign. If the product is good at regrowing hair it would obviously speak for itself. But I'll wait and see the early results before I buy it. Right now I have a listo f stuff I want to try so I'll fit it in some where.

As for the growth factors

Dermaheal

Hair Concentrating Serum

This one is almost 500 dollars. There's a few people using it right now. So another product I'll wait and see on.

This one is DermatoPoietin. This is probably the next thing I'll try

The only one I used of these was Dermaheal. The first link. I only got to use it for a month so I wasn't able to get results.

are any of these products organic (or close to it)?

natural ingredients?

are any of these products organic (or close to it)?

natural ingredients?

Dermaheal ingredients

Full Ingredients

• Rh-Oligopeptide-2 (IGF-1), Rh-Polypeptide-1 (bFGF), Rh-Polypeptide-9 (VEGF), Rh-Polypeptide-11 (aFGF), Copper Tripeptide-1, Octapeptide-2 (Prohairin ?4), Hyaluronic Acid, Biotin, Arginine, 2-O-Ethyl Ascorbic Acid, Polygala Tenuifolia Root Extract, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Pleurotus Multiflorus Root Extract, Thuja Orientalis Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Multi-vitamins and Amino Acids

As for the Stem C'rum I don't know the ingredients list. Its not listed but its from Dermaheal. This is all I found. So some of its listed

Dermaheal Stem C’rum HL(Anti-hair Loss)

Lyophilized Powder 5vials + Stem C’rum HL Solution 5ml, 5vials / set

Length and thickness of hair have been increased in the hair root organ, when applied with Stem C’rum HL.

Direction for Use: Use general mesotherapy and mesoroller (microneedle) method.

Step 1. Remove both caps from the vials

Step 2. Inject (or pour) the solution to powder vial

Step 3. Gently mix well

Main Ingredients: Insulin like Growth Factor-1 (IGF-1), basic Fibroblast Growth

Factor (bFGF), Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF)

(10 ppm each / vial), Copper Tripeptide-1, Biotin,

Human Adipocyte Conditioned Media Extract,

Amino Acids, Minerals and Vitamins

As for the Dermo

DERMATOPOIETINTM is a 159 amino acid long

polypeptide. It is constantly produced by skin almost

exclusively onto the stratum corneum (upper skin layer)

of the human epidermis. DERMATOPOIETINTM serves as

an autocrine factor that initiates a cascade of events

directed to deeper layers of skin.

Activation of cell growth signaling cascade

DERMATOPOIETINTM activates genes encoding growth

factors such as keratinocyte growth factor (KGF)1-3,

hepatocytes growth factor (HGF)1, granulocytemacrophage

growth factor (GM-CSF)4, and transforming

growth factor-alpha (TGF-alpha)5. These growth factors,

in turn, initiate a cascade of events leading to fibroblast

and keratinocyte proliferation, keratinocyte migration6,7,

and entire skin renewal.

DERMATOPOIETINTM suppress expression of

connective tissue growth factor (CTGF), a major

fibrogenic factor responsible for excessive scarring or

keloid formation through promoting proliferation and

collagen synthesis of mesenchymal cells12

I'm not sure if these should be considered "natural". But I don't see any actual chemicals. They would be pretty gentle on your scalp and are absorbed quickly