Dr. Epstein-VA Bosley??

surfer311

Hello All,

consdiering to take the leap of the faith and look into getting a hair transplant. I have been taking propecia for about 9 months, not amazing results as far as re growth but i have not lost any further hair which is always a good thing.

I have done some research around the VA area and am considering Dr. Epstien (va beach Bosley). he seems like a very reputable Dr. w/ good credentials, however i am some what skeptical b/c i have heard mixed reviews about the Bosley deal.

Does anyone have any expereince w/ him? any info will help. Thanks!

Never heard of him, but when I see MHR or Bosley, I look the other way. MHR gave me a crap procedure in 96....I did see Dr. Lindsey in Reston, VA and couldnt be happier. I had the procedure on in late May and, so far, couldnt be happier. Alot of growth happened in the past 4-6 weeks and looks really good.

hello surfer311,if you do a search on bosley here you will not come across many good comments but you will find plenty of negative,stay away from bosley like qwerty says dr lindsey is a quality surgeon who also seems a very nice chap with integrety,of the two for me it would be dr lindsey 100 times out of a 100,whatever you decide all the best with it,have a nice day.....

Never heard of him, but when I see MHR or Bosley, I look the other way. MHR gave me a crap procedure in 96....I did see Dr. Lindsey in Reston, VA and couldnt be happier. I had the procedure on in late May and, so far, couldnt be happier. Alot of growth happened in the past 4-6 weeks and looks really good.

which MHR are you refferring to? can you provide a link by any chance?

i remember going to dr epstein when i was 22 asking about a hair transplant. he turned me away because he said it wasnt that serious. seemed like a nice guy, mentioned he only did smaller procedures, havent seen any of his results, but i wouldnt want to deal with anybody affiliated with bosley.

• 1 year later...

I have had three HTs, all with Bosley, but at three different locations with three different doctors. All were professional and I am pleased with appearance of first two and look forward to seeing results of third (received in June 2012). My most recent HT (June 2012) was with Dr Epstein. Although two previous were professional and good experiences, I had a truly wonderful experience with Dr Epstein and his staff.

It was evident by their efficiency and positive environment that his staff had worked together for quite some time. With regard to Dr Epstein, he went the "extra mile" at every stepy. I was happy with my first two HTs, but as they were 4 and 5 years ago, I had lost some density through losing original hair on top. Additionally, I had a fairly wide scar after second HT (particularly compared to first HT scar), which although readily concealable, I wanted reduced. I will have to wait and see the outcome of the scar (on Day 1 of recovery as I write this), but Dr Epstein went extraordinary lengths to ensure the best possible outcome for the scar.

Some additional thoughts...I have zero pain or discomfort along my scar line after Dr Epstein's procedure, to include the night after surgery and throughout the following day; whereas I recall tremendous pain the first night of first HT and significant discomfort after the second HT.

At this point, I would highly recommend Dr Epstein...in 3-6 x months I'll be able to provide assessment of his work, although my hair stylist mentioned him by name as a recommendation based on clients she hd seen.

Have a consult with Dr. Lindsey. He is a top surgeon relatively close to you and you can see a lot of his results on here. The thing with Bosley is you are taking a big risk.......kind of like rolling the dice. I am sure they have some good docs, but there are so many horror stories as well. Also, from what I understand they are more expensive than most of the top HT clinics.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

The thing with Bosley is you are taking a big risk.......kind of like rolling the dice.

I disagree on the "risk" with Bosley, as I would recommend to research specific HT surgeons and their work, rather than generically categorize Bosley as a whole. This post asked about Dr Epstein specifically.

As mentioned before, I have had three good experiences with Bosley (three different surgeons, three different locations) as far as surgery and and interaction with staff. With regard to results, appearance-wise I was happy with first two procedures, although I thought scar a bit wide on second HT (although there would be lots of possibilities why that happened-and unnoticeable to anyone unless specifically told what to look for). I just completed third HT, this time with Dr Epstein, so I am pending results-however, I can say zero pain in donor area, unlike previous, zero itchiness in recipient area, unlike previous, and minimal scabs...so best post op experience of all three.

I also appreciated Dr Epstein calling the evening after surgery to check on my status. I would recommend contacting the Virginia Beach Bosley office and request references. The receptionist will gladly provide names and phone numbers.

With regard to price, sit down with the Bosley consultant and get an actual quote, rather than referencing any postings online...seems they are in the same price range as most when they actually give their estimate...of course I think cost would be the last factor...get the surgeon you're comfortable with, is well credentialed, and has proven results.

I do not work for Bosley and would recommend doing the above research with anyone you look to do a HT. I just highlight avoid writing off a surgeon because he's with Bosley, rather check out the surgeon as an individual.

I disagree on the "risk" with Bosley, as I would recommend to research specific HT surgeons and their work, rather than generically categorize Bosley as a whole. This post asked about Dr Epstein specifically.

As mentioned before, I have had three good experiences with Bosley (three different surgeons, three different locations) as far as surgery and and interaction with staff. With regard to results, appearance-wise I was happy with first two procedures, although I thought scar a bit wide on second HT (although there would be lots of possibilities why that happened-and unnoticeable to anyone unless specifically told what to look for). I just completed third HT, this time with Dr Epstein, so I am pending results-however, I can say zero pain in donor area, unlike previous, zero itchiness in recipient area, unlike previous, and minimal scabs...so best post op experience of all three.

I also appreciated Dr Epstein calling the evening after surgery to check on my status. I would recommend contacting the Virginia Beach Bosley office and request references. The receptionist will gladly provide names and phone numbers.

With regard to price, sit down with the Bosley consultant and get an actual quote, rather than referencing any postings online...seems they are in the same price range as most when they actually give their estimate...of course I think cost would be the last factor...get the surgeon you're comfortable with, is well credentialed, and has proven results.

I do not work for Bosley and would recommend doing the above research with anyone you look to do a HT. I just highlight avoid writing off a surgeon because he's with Bosley, rather check out the surgeon as an individual.

Is that you Dr Epstein???!!! A suspicious couple of posts I must say.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Why resurrect a two year old thread just to talk about your experience with Dr. E? Just start your own thread with pictures, otherwise your posts will have very little credibility with the forum.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

To answer the questions above:

1) @matt: Nope, I am not Dr Epstein! I see nothing suspicious in my posts, just providing the facts.

2) @aaron: 2 year post resurrection: Not my intent, I ran across this while surfing the web on HT related topics and provided my opinion...granted it's a two year post, but obviously Google does not discriminate on age! :). And based on all the quick replies and follow-on comments, including yours, it would appear people still follow two year old threads!

To answer the questions above:

1) @matt: Nope, I am not Dr Epstein! I see nothing suspicious in my posts, just providing the facts.

2) @aaron: 2 year post resurrection: Not my intent, I ran across this while surfing the web on HT related topics and provided my opinion...granted it's a two year post, but obviously Google does not discriminate on age! :). And based on all the quick replies and follow-on comments, including yours, it would appear people still follow two year old threads!

Thanks 'Jerry'...!!

Your post reads way differently to how most people describe their HTs. It's your first few posts and I've seen many people try (and fail!) to pass themselves off as genuine patients. Yours sounds too much like a sales pitch.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

As soon as I saw raving reviews of Bosley I looked at the information of the poster: joined this month and all posts are in this thread. Very suspicious.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon