Stem Cell Researchers May Have Found Baldness Cure

Sean

Hello everyone,

I was reading some articles and came across a very interesting one posted in the "Irish Times" regarding a cure for baldness. It was dated August 19, 2010.

Basically, what it mentioned was that researchers working with stem cell technology unexpectedly came up with a cure for baldness possibly.

They were able to change one specific cell to a different cell, during that process they came up with skin cells complete with working hair follicles.

Now keep in mind that they were not looking to treat baldness when they were experimenting. They actually wanted to see how stem cells from thymus would perform if transplanting into growing skin for burn victims.

The research team who discovered this are from Switzerland and Scotland. Details of the team’s findings were published in the journal Nature.

Along with hair regeneration or cloning, I find this news exciting. What do you think? It could be a major discovery. :eek:

Here are two articles that talk about this below:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0819/1224277150771.html

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/EHSI-New-StemCell-Study-an-bw-2763166264.html?x=0&.v=1

Edited by Sean

Sean,

I saw this article as well. Personally, I do think that all progress and experimentation is a good thing, but I'm unsure if this avenue represents something truly new (a lot of cells can be "induced" into cells of a different origin with proper conditions) or if it will be studied further. Dr Rassman, a coalition physician, wrote an interesting response on his blog that may provide further insight.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Blake,

Thank you for that information. I did check out Dr. Rassman's response regarding this. Maybe what he is saying is accurate. It could be I am just getting my hopes up. I just hope it is studied further. Even though the follicles last for a year as reported, previously tissues would last for only a few weeks. In the other article it said "According to the study, when these cells were transplanted into developing skin, they were able to maintain skin and hair for more than a year. The experimental follicles outperformed naturally-produced hair follicle stem cells, which are only able to heal and repair skin for three weeks."

So hopefully, this is a big step and they continue to research this. It just could be a breakthrough but who knows? We have been hearing positive news about hair regeneration or cloning, but then again they are still in trials for a while now.

But lets see what happens, I'll continue to check and see if they come up with anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...