19 and balding fast

Hi everyone,

I'm a new poster and I've been getting alot of very useful info from this forum so I was just wondering if you could help me out with some questions I have. I'm only 19 years old and my balding has progressed quite fast ever since I first starting losing my hair between 17-18. I've started propecia (on my 2nd week now) and have been using the laser comb (doesn't really work). Could you tell me what I should do now? I'm going crazy going bald so early in my life. Do you all know what norwood level Im currently at?bald9.bmp Here is my picture. I'd really appreciate your opinions. Thanks

Hi everyone,

I'm a new poster and I've been getting alot of very useful info from this forum so I was just wondering if you could help me out with some questions I have. I'm only 19 years old and my balding has progressed quite fast ever since I first starting losing my hair between 17-18. I've started propecia (on my 2nd week now) and have been using the laser comb (doesn't really work). Could you tell me what I should do now? I'm going crazy going bald so early in my life. Do you all know what norwood level Im currently at?bald9.bmp Here is my picture. I'd really appreciate your opinions. Thanks

welcome Baldboy123,

I feel for you, I actually started losing hair before you - but it hasn't progressed at the rate yours has.

Sadly, you have just joined the game (only being on Finateride for 2 weeks). The only thing you can do now is to continue with Fin, maybe add Minoxidil and Nizoral to your regime and wait to see if you have any results.

I believe that the speed of your hairloss rules out a transplant at this time.

Stick with Propecia, ditch the comb, and consider using Rogaine(minoxidil) and Nizoral.

Hopefully the meds will help you, but it takes time.

All the best.

The speed of your loss rules out a transplant at this stage, in my opinion. Also, it's an unwritten rule that you should not have a transplant until your hairloss has stabilised, and you have been on the meds for one year. (it looks like you are on your way to a norwood 5-6, hopefully the meds will help)

Edit:

If you decide to continue with Propecia and maybe trying Rogaine, you could consider a concealer? such as Toppik.

Yea I tried Rogaine for a couple months didn't seem to do much. Yes, and toppik is a lifesaver. I've been using that as well but it has its limitations such as with the hairline. My hair is ridiculous Im only 19! It sucks. Im just afraid if I use propecia for an extended period of time that it might have some severe long term sexual side effects (like if I ever wanted to have kids). That's my biggest fear with the drug.

Personally the only side effect I had from Finasteride, was a deceased libido. I've not read of it effecting sperm quality or count, but maybe it can. (it hasn't seemed to with me) Other guys may have different experiences.

Your rim hair seems pretty strong. If you keep up on the meds, you may be a candidate for HT in the future, but I think most people owuld advise you to wait until your late 20s.

I know it sounds crazy, but shaving your head is always something to try.

There are lots of nice, attractive women who want a cute (but bald) guy, and if you find one of them, the hairloss becomes less of an issue.

A hair sytem is also an option for some people if it fits your lifestyle. Sean Connery's and The Shatt's hair are pretty amazing looking dont you think?

baldboy-

Good advice was given here and I agree about waiting for your loss to stabilize, then make a plan of attack.

I would agree with TheEmperor regarding shaving down your dome. The first time you do it it will be a shocker when you look in the mirror, but you may like it. I shaved my head when I was your age for swimming, but hadn't done it since I was young and had to try it one more time before going in for my procedure. Definitely try clipping it down.

But also wait a while to let your hairloss stabilize!

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

what do you mean by stablized? Do you mean when it seems I am no longer losing my hair as I take meds, rogaine, etc..? I'm pretty scared from what I've heard of about the side effects of propecia but I am continuing to take it and havn't really experienced any side effects yet and i do have some improvement with hair growth.

By stabilized, when the balding is no longer progressing quite fast. When you remain at a certain level for a good period of time, that is stabilization. We all continue to lose hair, but typically it is gradual and not quick.

Stay on propecia, especially if you are not having side effects. Keep on using minoxidil as it will only help maintain what you have.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Hi BB,

Good advise given here by others. At 19 I definitely think that you're better off waiting before considering and HT. Being only 19 you have time on your side of seeing what future advancements in hair restoration hold.

I DEFINITELY agree with the others that you should try shaving down your melon to a 1 or 2 guard. Who know, it may look great on you and you might grow to like it. I wish I could go back in time and have tried the buzzed down look but once you have a donor scar it's not much of an option in my opinion.

baldingboy123,

We all feel for you and all the advice given is great. Get on medication and wait until hairloss has stabilised. I started to lose hair when I was 17 years too, but you have the added advantage of access to this wonderful forum. Back then there was nothing for me. I just thought it was "change in body chemistry" like getting pimples, and it was only after recession of my hairline and thinning on the top and crown that I realised this was really early onset of MPB, and I started to fight it, some years later.

I know how hard it is to be this young and be afflicted with this, but don't worry....if you think things are tough being a teenager...wait til you get to being an adult like us. icon_smile.gif

take care...

All the advice has been great. But another note. If you do happen to shave down, make sure to stay on Propecia. You might want to grow out your hair again in the future or get a transplant.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

thank you so much for the advice. but i dont think ill ever shave my head (i know i'd look terrible bald). Could I stop using propecia once I see that my hair loss has stabilized or do you recommend taking propecia for the rest of one's life? I really don't feel comfortable taking propecia for a very long time because of the unknown long term side effects it may cause.

Sorry to hear this.

If it makes you feel better, i started to lose mine at 17 as well RAPIDLY.

Ultimately i chose a HT at the age of 21 and again at 22. However my loss was stabile at this time. And i have been taking propecia for 14 months.

Also, propecia is forever (or until you no longer care)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Could I stop using propecia once I see that my hair loss has stabilized or do you recommend taking propecia for the rest of one's life? I really don't feel comfortable taking propecia for a very long time because of the unknown long term side effects it may cause.

You WILL need to take finasteride FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Even after HT transplant.

And your right. There is not a lot of data about the long term use of finasteride.

take care...

my ideal plan would be to get a ht asap to fill in my crown and hairline and and take propecia for about 5 years at most (to keep what i have left on top) and hope for more research to be completed on a miracle cure and maybe even safer meds. but i realize that if i stop taking propecia i will end up hairless on what i naturally had left on top of my head. As a young man about to go in his 20s, I would love to have the appearance of a full head of hair and go through with a ht very soon. If you were to put yourself in my shoes, would you agree? what would you do?

Hi Baldboy123,

I haveto disagree with having a HT at 19 years of age. Though I am no expert by any means I think it is safe to say you are in for some more hairloss in the future.

I would have to agree with the poster who suggested shaving your head. You would look ALOT better with a shaved head than what your hair must look like trying to hide your balding head from what I gathered from the one picture posted. I would say that you shave you head now and since you are young you will be meeting alot of new people in the upcoming 5-10 years who will only no you with having a shaved head so it will be no big deal. Once your hair loss stabilizes later in life (who knows 25,30,35) than you can grow it out and see what you have left to HT. I would hate for you to be one of those guys with all these terrible scars in the back of your head by trying to chase your hair loss for the next 10-20 years with successive HTs.

If I were a girl, which Im not, I would think of a guy as more confident if they shaved their head at 19 than had a terrible comb over at 19 or 23 or whatever age. Think Vin Disel ... go to the gym, grow some biceps, shave your head and you will be cooler than most guys with hair!

The reason why I say this is that I would rather you not go through the next 10 years of your life hiding your hair, worrying about how the wind catches it or whether some is seeing your hair from the wrong angle. Instead say 'F__k it', shave it, hit the gym and be confident throughout your youth. Im lucky that my hairloss only starting affecting my confidence in the last 3 years, Im now 30, and I was very confident growing up so I would hate to feel unconfident in myself like I do now all of my youth ... so dont let it take over your youth.

Not sure if any of the ramble made sense to you ... but it made sense to me icon_smile.gif

SDM

ShavedDethMonk

thanks alot for your advice. even though i would love to have a full head of hear right now i'll probably regret having a ht at 19 in the future. and with regards to shaving my head and just hitting the gym. I already got the gym part down but i really don't think i'd look good at all with a shaved head but i guess i have no other choice then to give it a try. what the hell

Interesting case....I would 100% recommend consulting (live or online) with like 3 reallyreally reputable clinics, and get their prognosis. Arm yourself with additional information, and see how the +s and -s stack up.

Pay particular attention to what kind of result the HT will most likely get you, how that result will most likely make you feel, and weigh that with having to go through the procedure itself, and realize that you are likely commiting yourself to future work (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, either).

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

i'm 24 and had my head shaved (really short, i used a 1) for about a year... it took me about 10 minutes of standing there with the clippers running before i finally did the stripe down the middle....

it definitely wasn't as bad as i thought it would be... when in doubt .... just look up jason statham ... that's a good lookin bald man

just go for it... if you hate it ... it takes about 3-4 months to grow back out

my reg is:

propecia 1mg EVERYDAY

minox 5% twice daily (f the foam)

nizoral 1%

say la V old buddies .... i'm tryin to keep you

Propecia/fin is just as if not more important if you do get a HT than if you don't, especially if you are young. I'll be taking fin indefinitely, until:

-- a better drug/treatment comes out

-- a breakthrough that revolutionizes our donors (cloning/HM, BHT, etc.)

You can use "proscar", fwiw, as a more cost-effective route than propecia.

I take fin for two primary reasons:

-- short-term delay my MPB from setting in, giving me more years of a higher quality of life before I have to get another HT or use concealers

-- long-term delaying if not halting of me going NW5+ in pattern

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

In my opinion,

For now at your young age I think it would be best to use clippers to cut it to a #1 comb. Its not the same as shaving it to the scalp. Having it nice and tight will make it look much better and it will make you feel as you have some control rather than your hair.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs