One Year after HT with Transmed (Result)

Mahmood

I had my HT opreation last year on 7/7/2009 in Turkey with Trasnmed. I'm 1 year and 1 month post HT. Please check out my blog and give me your feedback.

I visited Transmed last May to evaluate my progress. I was told by Dr. Melike that my progress was good and i had 90% of the final ressult. Also, she recommnded having a second HT.

Frankly, I expected the result to be more than what i have, may be i had high expectations given that i had a mega session (3059 grafts). Therefore, I'm here to ask for your opinion on the current situation and advice wether to go for a second opreation or not?

Thanks

Are you on propecia?

You might have lost additional hair in the year since your transplant, or maybe the hair you did have was lost during the surgery. Regardless, I would be dissatisfied with your transplant. Granted, in your one year photo your hair is slicked back, but it still appears far too thin. I do realize that a relatively large area was covered, but you did have hair throughout that area that should have provided some nice additional density.

I'd be very cautious about going for a second surgery because you appear to have a great deal of hair loss and you're still very young. If you're dissatisfied with your result, as I would be if I were in your shoes, I would certainly contact Transmed and express that dissatisfaction to them.

Good luck.

Mahmood, i agree with TC17. I cannot say that its a bad result, definitely your hair line has been somewhat restored but maybe its the photo, i am not sure, but i thought with 3000 grafts u should be expecting a bit more. Nevetheless, IMHO, u defn had gained more hair but i just thought it should look better. Did dr mention that u are a slow grower or your results now should be final?

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Mahmood,

Thanks for coming back to share your final results. In taking a look at your photos, it appears that you had more density at 6 months than at the one year point. However, it's a bit difficult to gauge due to the difference in hairstyle. Also, since your results photos show wet hair, which makes hair appear thinner and your before pictures are dry, it's difficult to compare.

What is obvious is that your hair is still quite thin. However, 3000 grafts over a large balding area (especially if you lost more natural hair) isn't going to appear very dense. As an example, I've posted a photo of my scalp 14 months after my second surgery. These are the results from two hair transplants totally 3849 grafts. As you can see, my density isn't much greater than yours.

DSCN1863.jpg

Now compare this to my before picture which while the above looks better, one could argue that it's not 3849 grafts worth of growth. However, since I did lose additional natural hair, the density for the number of grafts I received is quite plausible on such a large balding area.

top1before.jpg

It's obvious that you've had growth and I suspect you've lost additional natural hair. However, if you are concerned about the growth, I encourage you to contact Dr. Kulahci. I do hope however, that you knew that one procedure was not going to provide you with the kind of density most people want to obtain out of hair restoration surgery. Most patients do require two or even three procedures to meet their goals. As for me, it took four.

Best wishes,

Bill

I think that maybe one of two things might be happening....Either you lost all of your native hair, permanant shock loss, or you are going through a seasonal shed...I hope for your sake it's the latter. I think you should wait at least a couple of years before having a second surgery. Good luck.

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

TC17,

No I haven't used propecia or any other products. Thanks for your feedback.

wb280,

I agree with what you said, and yes this should be the final result. In May i was told i had 90% growth and by the time i reach one year i will have the final result.

Bill,

I agree with you regarding the 6 months/1 year difference and i can see i had more hair at that point. I'll try to have another pic with dry hair and same hair style i had when i was 6 months post opreation. However, in the last pics I have the same hair style that i had in the pre opreation pics to make it easy to compare the before and after.

I'm fully aware that one procedure wasn't going to provide me with the density and the result I'm expecting. But I just want to understand what has happened in my first procedure and to let other benefit from it as well.

In general, the feedback so far confirm that I didn't have the results that i should've had after my HT. The common reason mentioned above was the lose of natural hair.

Thank you for your feedback :)

• 4 weeks later...

I uploaded new pics (with dry hair, with both hair styles i used to have in my old pics),, please give me your feedback about it.

First update about this sitaution: One day after I posted this thread, i was contacted by Taner from Transmed. In short, he said: they will study my case, and try to reach a soultion to please me if the final result wasn't what it should be. He said the result is not what they expected in transmed (not just me).

Second Update: 2 weeks later, i talked to Taner and he told me the hair loss is probably is a result of losing my natural hair. And He offered me a corrective surgey (1000 grafts).

My opinin about the whole thing: frankly i felt disappointed by the result when i looked at the latest pics, they worse than the one i posted after one year. I appreciate transmed efforts by trying to find a solution for this situation, especially Taner who's been in contact with me before and after the opreation. Also, he was always there to help me with any kind of questions or support. However, I need more effort from transmed this time.

Mahmood,

I agree that your hair doesn't look very dense. However, I would venture to guess that you've lost more natural hair making your hair transplant appear thinner. Regarding the growth of your hair transplant, it's difficult to say however, it appears to be on par with what I'd expect less than 4000 grafts to cover on such a large balding area - assuming you've experienced additional hair loss.

That said, I encourage you to discuss your concerns and what's next with Dr. Kulahci. As you previously agreed, more than one procedure was going to be needed to obtain the kind of density you'd like to see. Given such a large balding area, you're going to have to work with Dr. Kulahci or whomever you choose to make the best use of the limited donor supply to add density to and cover the areas you are most concerned about. The other areas won't be able to be made as dense.

If you are concerned about growth yield, I suggest scheduling a consultation with Dr. Kulahci to let her evaluate your scalp and hair. She'll also be able to determine how much of the hair remaining on your scalp is transplanted verses natural.

Keep us posted,

Bill

Mahmoud, that is a lot of number of grafts I would think it would show major difference in 14 months? What were you on the norwood scale before and 14 months later? Was it discussed you might lose native hair in the process? I mean I don't know if you lost native hair, but even so, shouldn't there be a bigger difference. Can you post your pics with hair that is not wet? That will probably help everyone see the result. Do you know the number of hairs that were put in each zone? Was it frontal or evenly dispersed throughout the whole scalp or what? That will help too. What is your overall goal? I wish you the best but you should definitely clear all concerns before you schedule another procedure with the same clinic. I hope you get and achieve what you are seeking.

Edit: sorry I just saw your one picture you uploaded with dry hair. The last preop pic your hair is not combed straight and long like that but there is still some thin areas, but from other results on the site, I don't know what to tell you as I can't really tell. I have to keep going back between the preop pic and this pic, but the lighting is different in each photo and the distance, can you put a before/after photo right next to each other and maybe it will help giving you a comparison? Do you have any more pics from before and can you take another after pic in similar lighting? good luck to you and hope you get what you seek

Edited by Sean

hello mahmood,i think being so young you have very aggresive hair loss and as already stated you probably lost more of your natural hair since the ht,have you tried meds?,i must say at least the clinic is trying to help you and not just ignored your issues,all the best for the future and have a nice day......

thanks god that I bailed away from doing a surgery with Transmed, now this confirms my opinion that Transmed never produced a great result with an advanced norwood case.

Mahmood also remember that I advised you against doing an FUT as there is a high risk for people who are on the higher scale of Norwood.

I am starting to wonder why this site does not admit that transmed can't perform and achieve good results for people who are on a norwood scale 5-6.

What is the excuse now, besides the lame excuse that he lost more of his natural hair, well anyone would put this in his calculation so why did the clinic not do that and went ahead and milked his money knowing where he will be in a year and did the transplant anyways. Of course mahmood will lose more of his natural hair in year or so, why why why did not transmed advise him against it. Mahmood after 1 year has passed he would be nearly bald so how many grafts would he need at least 10,000-12000 grafts, so how come the moderator here congratulated him on the operation when he received close to 4000 grafts only and I even doubt that he revived that amount of grafts, which is not gonna be enough in whatever way to achieve a good result. The moderators should have been frank with him, and told him to walk away, if he will not invest at least 3-4 operations to achieve a decent look, look how many operations Bill did.

its a simple equation:

High Norwood---- means high risk of bad result-------- if done by FUT and achieved a bad result then you are doomed with bad result and a scar------ you are simply destroyed

High Norwood------- high risk of bad result----------- if done by FUE and achieved a bad result then you at at least can wear a short cut ( buzz it ) look and accept nature without the doomed scar- and you can continue your life normally.

For gods sake I think most people on the high end of the Norwood scale should accept the fact that they could be easily doomed if they go FUT way, and the moderators should also be give up their arrogance and admit that fact, especially when one can afford only 1-2 operations only. High norwood 5-6 scale, barely barely achieve good results from 1-2 operations so why do you want to doom them to get into the chair and risk how they would look for the rest of their lives, and end up psychologically depressed.

FUE my freinds is the only safe trial for anyone who wants to go the hair transplant way, as it is simple if you don't like the result its easy to shave off or do a buzz cut no one will look at you in a strange way.

For gods sake admit it.

Edited by darkmanhyk

hello darkmanhyk,i must agree on the point about fue leaveing one in a better situation if the procedure fails,but i must disagree that fue is the the only way to go,how many times have you seen fantastic results from mega sessions performed by numerous doc's and especially hasson and wong[who imo are the masters of mega sessions]with one pass?,there are also quality doc's who every once in a while for one reason or another have instancies of very poor yeild,same goes with fue,i myself have only resently been looking at fue as apposed to fut as i thought the ammount of graths i need i would not be able to afford the 5000 ish graths i need imo for the desired result,i have narrowed down my choice to either dr erdogan or dr kesser both in turkey,but i have seen far more succesful fut's than fue's and i'm sure there are a lot of people here who will defend fut and i think rightly so,each to their own its everyone individuals choice,for me i think it will be fue but for everyone else thats up to them,you pay your money you take your chance,i sincerely wish mahmood a successful outcome to his plight but these things happen even with the most accomplished ht surgeons,fut or fue,all the best and have a nice day....

Mahmood sorry but try not to worry too much or be sad about it. There is always hope. I am sure there are many people on his side and I too am pissed. It's a learning experience. Just don't make the same mistake twice. Better research and advice from fellow members helps. I hope some good doctor can help him and get him what he seeks. I feel terrible about anyone that puts their hopes to change is almost near the same spot they began and that they are unhappy and unsure where they even stand. I hope someone out there can help him and guarantee his results. I did look at Hasson and Wong, among other doctors and people that are clearly much higher on norwood achieved a great result through them. Even Dr. Rahal, his work is just mind boggling. Even Dr. Mohamand has great results for patients with higher norwood. I am sure there are more on this site. Can any doctor chime in and give the guy advice before he makes another decision? Mahmood, did you ever try propecia or rogaine? 4000 grafts is a lot, and it makes me mad that many were used with a result like that. How many does he have left in donor region now? If he really wants a complete hair recovery, he might need to use donor hair and body hair mixed. Was this strip? If it was then you can't really shave the head depending on the size of the scar, but if it was fue then at least you can shave for the time being if you are not satisfied. I can't imagine how he feels right now. I am just extremely mad. You know some people end up with severe scarring, poor results, dreams shattered, when it comes to transplantation, just imagine if that was you in his shoes. I treat the situation like it's me because I really would be furious if I had a result like that. Doctors should speak up and help the guy and tell him what he should do or what his options are. It would be the right ethical thing to do.

Dear Bill,

Thanks for your reply,, regarding the natural hair loss argument. I guess it's the easiest answer to this case. I've been losing hair for years and the hair loss pattern wasn't as fast as this time. I lose my hair but not in this quick manner. The main problem is i lost hair in my transplanted area. I understand from your reply that i can check with the clinic the rate of the growth. I will do that.

I had realistic expectations of the result and i was pleased with my progess up until 8 months. After that things got worse. I knew i needed more than session to get the result i had in my mind. But having almost 4000 grafts in one session should've made a significant difference!!

Sean,

you are right. There should've a big difference? why didn't that happen? this is what i want to know. I have no idea about the distribution of the grafts among the balding areas.

1966kph,

It could be the reason but can you tell for sure? no i have not used any pills. Transmed was in contact with me and they offered to help and I'm in contact with Taner regarding this isssue.

Darkmanhyk,

I agree with you in some of what you said. But i think you are making a comparison between FUT and FUE. Thanks for the information about that, it's useful for other members to know that.

you know what drives me so so so mad is that Mahmood is the only member here that followed the recommendations on this forum were Dr. Kulachi was praised to be the goddess of HT in Turkey, although mahmood is an intelligent guy but gave complete trust to what he read on this forum, and used that in his analysis that transmed is a good clinic.

I remember him very well cause i asked him for advise as we both booked our operations at the same clinic, but when my appointment came near i bailed out as I learned one TRUE FACT no way on earth will a NW6 achieve a great result with FUT ( one exception might be HW And I don't know what magic they use but again I need to see the results in person to judge as all I saw were just pictures ). But Mahmood is the only member here with high NW6 balding that promised to report back, there are few members here from transmed that posted results but they are not on the high NW scale while the others just vanished and disappeared . It is easy to see who these patients are, and know who was a member on this forum before they did the HT at transmed, while most other results posted here are from the clinic itself.

I wished that Mahmood result would be great, but I am disappointed as what happened to him proved my theory.

So again High NW5-6 patients please know it is a big big gamble with FUt so don't fall for it, as it is a decision if it went wrong you will regret it all your life, and fixing a bad result would cost a big big fortune. On the opposite if FUE went wrong just buzz it short and thats it say good bye to the dream of having a full head of hair and enjoy life like many other million men in the world being bald, but you will not be disfigured with a scar from FUT.

I am so so so mad, and I ask the moderators to re-evaluate the membership of that clinic that just failed and failed in all my points of view. This clinic has so many unhappy patients that I just wonder how did that clinic get the coalition membership, at least Moderators should not recommend it for high NW scale patients whether FUT or FUE, we deserve to have an honest honest feedback ( common Bill ). I dare the moderators to give me 1 member that went to transmed after being a member here on this site, that was a High NW 5-6 and had a good result, none what so ever. What does that mean????????

Edited by darkmanhyk

Darkman,

While all members are entitled to their opinion, I find your involvement on this post riddled with false information and blatantly attacking. Frankly, I also find it interesting that a member with only 17 posts would be so downright attacking and demeaning of the work we do on this community.

First of all, Dr. Kulahci is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network, not a member of the Coalition. See our recommendation standards for the difference. However, there is plenty of evidence on this forum that she provides first-rate hair transplantation. Just because Mahmood is unhappy with his results, doesn't mean that she doesn't perform world class hair transplants.

I agree that Mahmood's hair doesn't look a lot thicker, but we don't know at this point whether or not he lost more native hair. That's why I've recommended he contact Dr. Kulahci to evaluate him. I feel confident that if Mahmood had less than optimal results that Dr. Kulahci will take good care of him. Even the best physicians have cases of less than optimal results. But the best physicians stand behind their patients.

You claim that Dr. Kulahci has never had a good result on a high norwood scale. If you are going to make blanket statements like these, I'm going to ask you to back them up. There is plenty of evidence on her recommendation profile under "Patient Results" that she has produced excellent results.

Additionally, nobody on this community suggests patients "blindly" trust our recommendations. We always encourage patients to thoroughly research all physicians they're considering.

Your statements about FUT verses FUE are also quite backwards. While FUE has a place in hair transplant surgery, most advanced balding patients benefit much more from FUT than FUE. I am one of the hundreds of examples on this forum with great results from FUT from world renowned clinics.

Darkman, I find the majority of your posts on this topic attacking, condescending and poisonous to a community that is trying to help patients get the best results. So now it's time to put up or shut up and be held accountable for your statements. Either back up your statements that Dr. Kulachi doesn't ever produce quality work on high norwood scales and change your attitude fast or perhaps you've run your course on this forum with all 17 of your posts.

Regards,

Bill

Guys,

It blows my mind that some people choose to blow things way out of proportion and attack a quality physician's reputation and the integrity of this community when a patient expresses concerns about their result. While there's no doubt that it's disappointing when patients are less than satisfied and/or have less than optimal resulst (and believe me, they happen in the hands of all physicians), a quality physician will stand behind their patient and take care of them.

I will be in touch with Transmed about Mahmood's concerns and encourage them to contact their patient in order to discuss and hopefully resolve his concerns. I will also encourage them to post on this topic with their input.

Mahmood, feel free to contact me privately if there's anything else I can help you with. At the end of the day, I want you to get the head of hair you ultimately deserve and be happy with your results.

Best wishes,

Bill

One more thing...

It's critical that before anyone undergoes surgery that a patient's expectations are in line with reality. Anyone with extensive baldness will require more than one procedure to obtain their desired goals. In my case, it took 4 procedures to achieve a look that I'm satisfied with. Even now, admittedly, I'd love more density. But there's only so much that can be accomplished with a limited donor hair supply.

Ultimately the best way to maximize someone's donor supply is to combine FUT with FUE however, not all patients have 10,000 plus grafts to work with. Available donor supply should be discussed at the time of the initial consultation along with long term hair restoration goals, number of procedures needed, etc.

FUT has been proven to go a long way in the hands of excellent physicians like Dr. Kulahci and dozens of others. Many Norwood 5 plus patients have restored a significant amount of hair giving them a very "full" look after a couple of procedures. On the other hand, some patients with extensive baldness (especially in the Norwood 6 and 7 range) may not be able to achieve both the coverage and density they want in every area of the scalp. This is further limited by the donor supply, especially in patients with less available.

Whether or not Mahmood was/is a great candidate for this procedure is between him and his physician. As long as Mahmood understands what can realistically be achieved for him given his advanced level of hair loss, risks of future hair loss and available donor supply with a single and multiple procedures, then I see no problem with him moving forward with surgery as he did.

I suspect Mahmood may have lost more natural hair, which may have been exacerbated and accelerated due to the trauma of the hair transplant. But the next best step is for Mahmood to consult Dr. Kulahci and let her evaluate his scalp for growth yield. If Mahmood received less than optimal growth, I trust Dr. Kulahci will take care of him. Then, Mahmood can decide whether or not to continue moving forward with the long term hair restoration plan that was discussed which most likely involves a second, third and even fourth procedure depending on donor availability and his goals.

As other members have said, there is hope that Mahmood can and will meet his goals. Take a look at the way my hair looked after each and every procedure. I was a work in progress for a long time. I expect Mahmood and other patients like me will be in the same boat.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill, actually i did notice a certain trend of very aggressive words being posted of late. An issue which can me amicably discussed is just handled way out of proportion and honestly, its causing the community to lose some harmony.

Anyway back to the case, in fact, Mahmood did state that his 8th mth result was better than his current results which easily showcased that the surgery did went well but maybe due to his physiology among other factors, the results were not optimum. In fact, when fellow members are getting worried over unsatisfactory results, the last thing we should do is to fan or stoke the fire. Genuinely understand what went wrong and suggest a few scenarios and ultimately if the involved physician did follow up like what Mahmooh mentioned, whats there to be so so mad about?

I suggest we allow Mahmood some time to speak to the doc and i am sure he will get back to us on more input. Seriously, blatantly attacking or challenging moderators etc is uncalled for.

Edited by wb280

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

I have surgery booked with Transmed in october with Dr.kulahci,but after seeing Mahmoods results and reading these posts iam having second thoughts now:confused:.Its one thing having bad results but having bad results with a scar on the back of your head and no option to buzz down.1 way prision.

Got a lot of thinking to do now before its to late:cool:

donald, i cannot speak for mahmood nor others but just share something abt myself

To cut things short, i already sort of shortlisted Dr Pat from Bangkok nearly 1 yr before surgery but of cos i had wanted to do all my research first before deciding as u know, HT is a v impt decision esp strip surgery which is irreversible. Like what Bill mentioned, every doc who regularly performs HT has some unhappy patients somehow. From my research, i did find only 1 or maybe 2 unhappy patients who posted. One rescinded his post as he was a late bloomer. The other was still unhappy as he felt his physiology was the problem.

The reason i mentioned this is that do not nail the spike without doing a long and more thorough research. I could ve thrown in the towel and went with another doc once i see an unsatisfactory result. Just because Mahmood had unsatisfactory results does not imply the physician is not good. Thats unfair. I am not speaking on behalf of Transmed but just my opinion. Keep your mind open and do more research :) Ultimately u have to choose a doc u r most comfortable with!

hello Bill hope your well,must agree with your above posts,this is the first time i have seen anything posted by darkman and he certainly knows how to ignite a fire with his outragous claims regarding fut and especially dr kulahci,how he imagines the world of ht to be and reality seem poles apart and to come here with such bluster and a all knowing attitude serves no purpose in helping anyone, and help imo is what this forum,its members and the moderaters is all about,i don't think darkman will be missed here between his occasional post with the attitude he has,everyone and this includes you darkman have a nice day......

wb280,thanks for your advice,i had done so much research and everything pointed in the right direction towards Transmed and Dr.kulahci thats why i booked with them.i just have to be sure 100% that i want to go through with it, as there is no going back.

thank you Bill for addressing me like that.

Any way I ask everybody here on the forum to find me 1 result that was posted by a patient who is a NW5-6 that had good results from that clinic, only you will find results posted by Transmed itself, which to me is not credible as when a patient himself posts his his own results.

Honestly Bill how many members here complained from Transmed?

All I said is that it seems that Transmed does not seem to produce good results for the higher NW 5-6 cases, maybe they could produce good results on the lower scale of norwood.

I am not attacking that clinic at all I am just saying that it seems that they have no credible record for higher norwood cases. I realize that high norwood cases are very difficult and there is no shame for a clinic to work on improving their techniques and learn from leaders like Hasson and wong, before they accept handling high norwood cases.

In private posts between Bill and me he advised me to not go with Transmed strategy where they offered me 3000 graft knowing that I am a NW 5-6, and I was so amazed when I read more and more about HT, and then I got scared how on earth did they accept my case, and offered great results with such a low number of grafts. I was in total limbo and suffered sleepless nights after learning more and more about HT. On the other hand I was offered to do an FUE with 3000 grafts with another clinic and then to be followed up with another 1500 grafts, and Bill advised me to go with that plan over transmed's plan with caution.

In the end I decided to wait and wait and see how my hair continues to fall, and also I was very patiently awaiting Mahmood's result to make my final decision, believe me Mahmoods case gave me now complete confidence that i am not suitable for FUT only in the hands of very few top notch doctors like Hasson and Wong, that have countless records of results of high NW 5-6 cases, but unfortunately I can't afford them at this time, which leaves me with the option to re-consider FUE knowing the high risk of achieving a decent result, but at least I will be able to buzz it short if I did not like it.

I am not an arrogant person or a bad person, I am a very passionate person who stands against the wrong doing to my fellow posters here, also I am not talking nonsense as I am a very well educated person with a masters degree in Pharmacy, so I know alot about the science that involves hair and learned so much about HT.

Anyway I am sorry if I have been offending anyone, but really I put myself in Mahmood's case and how I would feel if I lost 4000 grafts for such a result, leaving me with little back up grafts to fix that unfortunate result.

I leave it to the members just do your homework on the forum where patients post their own results, and see what I am talking about.

A final note , already 2 private messages from members here sent me private messages supporting my point of views, how about that, am I talking nonsense now?

Edited by darkmanhyk