To shave or not to shave

Hi folks!

Would love some opinions on this!

When considering a HT (as I myself am given that I already have a very receded hairline) should you always shave your head to ensure that isnt the easiest solution?!

I dont honestly think a shaved head will suit me but would I be mad to commit myself to a HT before trying it to see what it looks like? Ive only ever tried to picture it while looking in the mirror!

All opinions welcomed and appreciated!

Hi folks!

When considering a HT (as I myself am given that I already have a very receded hairline) should you always shave your head to ensure that isnt the easiest solution?!

I dont honestly think a shaved head will suit me but would I be mad to commit myself to a HT before trying it to see what it looks like? Ive only ever tried to picture it while looking in the mirror!

Originally posted by careabouthair:

Hi folks!

When you say shave to you mean to the scalp with a razor or just a tight clipper cut? I think you should try it before making any firm decisions. It can be pretty liberating for some people. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

In my opinion...ABSOLUTELY yes! Once you go down the road of having a HT, you will not be able to shave your head all the way down (unless you don't care about the scar). If you have shaved and have a HT (like me), you can look back and say "At least I tried it and didn't like it".

The shaved look might actually suit you and save you from having to go down the HT path. Take a look at my latest thread (Eman's 6-month update) where I included shaved pics from last year.

I say give it a try. Whatever you still have will grow back!

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Originally posted by Eman:

In my opinion...ABSOLUTELY yes! Once you go down the road of having a HT, you will not be able to shave your head all the way down (unless you don't care about the scar). If you have shaved and have a HT (like me), you can look back and say "At least I tried it and didn't like it".

The shaved look might actually suit you and save you from having to go down the HT path. Take a look at my latest thread (Eman's 6-month update) where I included shaved pics from last year.

I say give it a try. Whatever you still have will grow back!

I agree 100%. Gotta give it a go - you may look great.

17 Feb 09 - 3,200 FUs by strip surgery (Dr Feller)

My Hair Loss Website

Thanks for the responses lads!

I was thinking that might be the case, think I will just bite the bullet and go for it! Like you rightly say whatever I do have left will grow back anyway!

Wantego I was thinking to go for tight clipper cut, will grow back quicker that way if I don't like how it looks, or thats the hope at least!

Thanks again for all the comments. Will update on how it goes and looks!

It seems you're asking yourself whether or not you'll want a hair-transplant after you've seen yourself with a shaven head. If you do think you might look the look, and not have the procedure done, why not just shave it? Unlike with having a transplant, there's no commitment (or real cost) involved in clipping your hair.

I'd say definately. I know many guys who look great with a shaved head. Just stay in shape.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

I think anyone considering a hair transplant should consider shaving their head first to see if it's fitting for them.

Though hair transplants can be great, I agree that those who can get away with shaving their heads and be happy with it are better off overall.

For me however, I simply don't like how I look with a shaved head which is why (among other reasons) I chose the surgical hair restoration journey. However, I've seen a couple guys at my gym sporting a shaved head, goatee, and look pretty cool - not to mention that one married one of the prettiest girls I've ever seen!

Bill

I agree with all of these guys. Its a MUST try before any potential HT at no real expense.

One thing that I feel we should be aware of though. Is that perhaps you may feel that you could "live with" the shaved look for now. But even with meds, its likely that over time, more existing hair will lose the battle with MPB, and therefore your look will also change despite being shaved. Whilst you may be able to "cope" with a current shaved look. You may feel totally the opposite when considering extensive loss and a shaved look. And at this stage, despite your advancing years and therefore more acceptance regarding hairloss, to achieve great results could be potentially be that much more difficult.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Stamos,

Thanks for that, good spot man. Ill be changing that later.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Some people actually look better shaven like some blacks. Travolta also look better shaven. Try it, you may like it.

In my case, i did not bother with shaving as my hair loss was not extensive (NW3). And I know I don't look good without hair.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Even though most of you say that it's a MUST to shave to see how it looks, in my case I would never shave, I just know I'll look silly. Although I'm only around NW3, I like hair icon_smile.gif

Even when I'm ready to take the plunge, I will not shave, Ill try to conceal it icon_smile.gif

I agree that everyone should try it, but its so hard for me to recommend it after my experience.

A little over a year ago, I was really fed up with my hair one day. It was summer, one of those 90 plus days. I saw all these guys sporting the buzz/shave look and I was jealous that they didn't have little blonde wispys to deal with and cover up.

Now, mind you, these guys usually have awesome hairlines that I get jealous of. I tend to get it in my head that i can pull off styles like them (NOT).

So i went in my bathroom, brought out the clippers and took it down. AH THE HORROR. I regretted it immediately. I could barely look at myself, it was so bad. My head shape is awful and something people have always commented on. My temples and sides are extremely receded so my face looked huge, and I just didn't look right. My face just looked terrible and I looked 15 years older than I am.

I'm blonde on top of that, so it looked like I have cancer or something. The pattern was staring me in the face.

People saw my new cut and told me to grow my hair back asap! I wanted to die during this time. The hat went on almost everywhere I went. Except work, where I got some strange looks. My mom even told me to never do that again.

Well guys, I had my time. HT is for me icon_smile.gif

Current Regimen:

.5mg Fin ED

Minox 2x daily

Nizoral 1% 2-3 times a week

Fish Oil capsules w/ Omega-3