People's reaction to your HT

I am sure this has been discussed on these boards many times but I am pretty new here so I'll ask. What were peoples reaction to your HT shortly after the procedure and after it grew in? What type of questions, comments, reactions did you get from family, friends,acquaintances, and strangers?

Also, how many of you flat out told people what you did and did you regret the decision to tell people?

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I am sure this has been discussed on these boards many times but I am pretty new here so I'll ask. What were peoples reaction to your HT shortly after the procedure and after it grew in? What type of questions, comments, reactions did you get from family, friends,acquaintances, and strangers?

Also, how many of you flat out told people what you did and did you regret the decision to tell people?

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

Can't decide, Even when you get very nice work done, people's general reaction is "Did you lose weight or something"? They can't quite put there finger on it cuz it's so gradual! I can't even remember what I looked like unless I go to my pictures! Again, that's an average range of response. If you go from a NW6 nowadays to having great work done and using most, if not all, of your donor, and wearing a hat for a long, long while, then you might get a "You have hair" reaction, but nobody's looking at you that closely even when you've worked or lived right next to that person!

Coming from a NW4+ to now, people have definitely taken notice. Everyone from family members to friends are asking what is going on. I have only told two balding buddies and of course my gf knows.

My folks are in amazement each time they see me, every two to three weeks or so. My sisters don't believe it. And friends are saying I am no longer that balding guy.

So, the "Have you lost weight" comment definitely does not apply. Like I have said before in my threads, I have brutally honest friends and they have all said something at this point, but am waiting for the "Did you have work done" question.

Remember, you tell one person and most likely many more will know because of that.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Thanks guys. I feel like if people notice that I have had a HT or I tell people (I cant see any other option if people notice I have more hair), they will think badly on it. On this site, we all know that HT have come a very long way but in the general public, they have a bad (almost comical) reputation. I just dont want to be the guy that leaves a party and people gather and say "Did you notice he has more hair, he must have hair plugs, etc..." just as they do with guys and wigs.

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

I asked this question on another thread a while ago and didn't get too many responses. Some said that most people couldn't put their finger on it. However, I just don't believe this, especially if you haven't seen someone for a long time. It may be gradual if you see certain people on a consistent basis. What about friends or family that haven't seen you since before your procedure after a year or so? 1993-2008=no hair, 2009=hair? I have been quite anxious aboout this myself, as I've been hiding under my hat for the last 6 months. I have had an especially difficult time due to shock loss that is still coming back (as well as some pinkness still lingering), so I really haven't had an opportunity to reveal the "gradual" return of my hairline to the public. Eman, what specifically have your friends said, and how have you responded? I've been toying with the "meds" explanation. Will people buy it?

Any others have any stories that they could share with us? I really don't want to be out in public with a bunch of people I know and have one of them say, " Dude, did you get a transplant??". That's my worst fear!

S5H

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Keene

3700+ Grafts with Dr. Keene 8/26/08 & 8/27/08

9600+ Total Hairs

People's comments have been all over the board and all positive for that matter. I simply take them all as a compliment. But like I said, I am waiting for the comment about having work done. Do I worry about that comment, No! I was always able to joke about my hairloss prior to my procedure, never hid behind a hat, and never avoided social occassions. And now I am proud about the hair I have.

When people ask, I say that I have been taking finasteride and minoxidil faithfully for the last four months (since I had the procedure). Do they buy it, not sure. But them saying I have a full head of hair now is such a compliment I really wouldn't care if someone directly asked me and I may tell them if asked. Like I said, my family is amazed but don't know anything besides the drugs.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

I think this is a very relevant topic for a lot of people that have had a HT. I will be having mine in a couple of weeks and worry about the same thing. I have also been hiding under a hat for some time now. I just know that I will be getting comments after the procedure is done and I really dont know how to answer them.

Besides the meds helping I really dont know what to say. Anyone out there used any creative answers?

I get a couple comments..

1- I like you with your hair longer?

2- I like your new haircut ?

3- You look younger, did you lose weight?

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Canadian_Buba, I just stopped myself from posting a stupid question. I see that your hair was longer before the procedure. Is it SOP to shave the transplant area prior to transplanting?

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Another question for you Buba. Did you suffer much shock loss in your recipient area?

Nobody has noticed i've had a H/T and i'm at almost 4 weeks, I had been wearing a hat and not seeing people, but I can't put that off forever, so i've explained I have dermatitis to explain my slightly red scalp and shaved hair.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

Hello,

I'm new here, but being 4.5 months post transplant, with my top noticeably thickening and my recession filling in, already subtle reactions are apparent. "you're looking buff guy.....!", "Did you drop a few pounds..?" (scratching their heads, quizzical expression and all) Yet my physique hasn't changed in the slightest....Also, longer eye contact, smiles and random chit-chat from the female persuasion.... Seemed very subtle at first, but I picked up on it....Almost like a social experiment every time I leave the house, be it work, shopping etc...

I'm only about a third to a quarter of the way through..... Should get more interesting as the days roll by..... It's a relief to be out of the much dreaded first few months of nothing.... Just cruising and enjoying the ride from here on out.....

John

Hey guys,

Dazed

I decided to shave my head 14 days post op. I could not put up with the vitimin e oil in my longer hair. It was driving me crazy. Rahal shaved the area he worked on so I looked like a fool anyways. I found shaving it made it easier to clean my head and all the hair looked even.

Petchski,

So far no shockloss. However now that most of the grafts are gone and my hair is short I look very bald lol. I wear a hat all the time when Im not in my house. Currently I have about 6 pimples on my recipient area and my head is very pink! I dont mind the pink as it reminds me of where my hair line will be in the future. I must be honest though, I am getting sick of dressing casual and wearing a hat all the time. I find the hat makes people think Im too casual in my work setting. But its all part of the " short term pain for long term gain"!!!

Petchski, do you have pimples on your head??

Canadian_buba

3500 Grafts

Dr. Rahal

Jan 12 09

My Hair Loss WebLog

I'm finding it hard to tell if I have shock loss in the recipient as mine was shaved as well and looks bald-ish...could just be the shortness though...

Pimples, mmm I think I have had one and that's it, but it seemed to go on its own. Going to post my 1 month photo tomorrow. Probably only have a bout 10% of the grafts left.

p.s your more likely to have pimples I feel cos you had a higher graft count, and Rahal really knows how to pack them! I hear hot flannels work well.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

This may be the straw that breaks the camels back for me. I can't wear a hat at work, and I thought they could just do the grafts without shaving my head. I can take about 3 weeks off, but that is not long enough for enough regrowth to cover the donor area. I wonder if all doctors shave the recipiant area.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

I was stuck in an unusual situation for the year following my surgery. I was away from home the entire year. I could not wear a hat at work, and my shock loss was very bad. I had gone from extremely thin to very bald with a huge smiley face on the back of my head. Questions were asked. I just said I had a "procedure" done and left it at that. Again, I was away from home and didn't really care what my present company thought. The shock loss hair returned after about five months. My coworkers are very perceptive, and they noticed. As I started to grow my hair out at around eight months, eyes were drifting upwards. I started hitting the gym hard to avert attention. Losing 30lbs has helped. I went home at around the 10 month mark for an event...my best friend noticed, and called me out on it, in front of a small group of people. I took him aside in private and told him that was not acceptable behavior. That was the end of that. It is now a non issue. I kind of feel like Benjamin Button, fit and hairy...10 years younger.

Who gives a rat's as* what other people think...this surgery is for you and your own mental health.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Wong

715 grafts at Bosley, 2004

3238 grafts by Dr.True, Mar 2008

3393 grafts by Dr. Wong, Jul 2009

Canadian_Buba, thanks for the response. Dr. Limmer said 1 inch would be OK. Short hair does not look good on me. I work in an office so wearing a hat would look stupid.

Its been 1 month now since I had HT with Dr Humayun in Pakistan and yesterday I went out to eat with friends and though these freinds knew I had gone for HT they were asking me if I had it done?? So I guess they could not make out at all that I have had a HT, which was a good sign!

1600 grafts FUT Mr May (UK) Sept 1996

https://www.wimpoleclinic.com'>https://www.wimpoleclinic.com

1600 grafts FUT Mr May (UK) February 1998

https://www.wimpoleclinic.com

2475 grafts FUT Dr Mohammed Humayun Mohmand (Pakistan)

27th January 2009

http://www.hti.com.pk

3550 Total Grafts (3000 rear donor area & 400 from beard and 150 breast area) FUE & PRP Treatment with Dr Emrah Cinik (ISHRS), Istanbul, Turkey. 10th October 2017

http://www.emrahcinik.com/

My Blog & Hair loss website story:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1123