Dr Kiely & HT in Ireland

so I've read quiet a bit now on the forums and feel a bit sick to my stomach. I'm 26 yrs old and don't have a huge amount of hair loss, it started receeding about 3 years ago and starting thinning about 1.

I did a little research when I was going to get the HT done, and found there were only two real options. Blackrock Clinic or Conor Keily in Cork. I was recommend by someone that used to work for Kiely in cork so after my consult, I went and schedule in a appointmnet. 1500 grafts for 4k.

The surgery was far worse that I had expected and I was a bit worried as I really only saw Dr Kiely for a very small part of the day the rest was faciliated by his nurses.

i didn't have the best after experience but I made sure to keep on top of everything they had said. its now 6 months later.. and the right side is acutally quiet good and I am getting better results that previous, what I am fear about is that the left side is crap, and I have to use a variety of hairstyles to cover the issues.

I have tired to make another appointment and hope to raise the issue with him in the next few weeks. I find it odd that I read on two other posts there that people have experienced the problem with the left side also?

My main question is, the rogaine and proscar seem to have really slowed down my current hair loss and I wonder would a bouth of FUE help thicking up any existing hair? Where would you recomend in Ireland for this? What costs can be expected?

I personaly feel that is the left side issue can be fixed and my hair could be thickened even a little bit, I would be happy.

Can we pos a list of the best surgeon you have found and the results got and the price? I realy really really don't want to go through taking the strip out of the back of my head agian? one scar is enough. I think I might be young enough to keep it maintained?

Thanks for reading guys and hope ye can help.

Cheers

Irishfella,

First, I wanted to let you know that I moved your thread to the Hair Transplant Experiences and Surgeon Reviews section. I think you'll receive more appropriate responses in this area of the forums.

Next, I wanted to let you know that I'm sorry you aren't yet satisfied with the results, and also mention a few things. First, it's not overtly uncommon for the "nurses" or hair technicians to be heavily involved with the surgical process, as they are usually responsible for both trimming and implanting the grafts. Second, at 6 months, your result definitely still has time to mature, and it's usually suggested that you wait a full year before analyzing the results of a hair transplant procedure.

Having said that, I definitely think utilizing medications (such as Proscar, as you mentioned) would help maintain and possibly restore some of the scalp hair, and, at a later date, a second procedure could also help maximize your restoration. The hair transplant network also recommends some exceptional hair transplant surgeons in Europe, many of whom also perform follicular unit extraction (FUE). However, keep in mind that it is probably best to hold off on a second procedure until your result is fully matured, and that your next doctor may suggest follicular unit transplantation (FUT) above FUE if it's more appropriate.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to ask any additional questions, and keep us updated on your situation.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Irishfella,

It's no problem, and I'm glad I could help. What do you mean by a 6 month consultation? A consultation with a second surgeon to discuss another transplant, or a 6 month update with Dr. Kiely to review your progress thus far?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 2 weeks later...

IrishFella,

Welcome to our community. I've recently been in touch with Dr. Kiely and he's been sending me a few examples of his work privately for prescreening. While I'm still learning more about his clinic and viewing examples of his work, everything I've seen so far looks like quality work.

It's definitely not uncommon to experience sparse or uneven growth throughout the growth and maturation process. Give it another 6 months and see how it looks.

I do however, encourage you to share your experience and pictures showing your scalp before surgery, how its progressing and then the final results in another 6 months. We'd love to be able to support you on your journey and it would be nice to see some more of Dr. Kiely's work.

Best wishes,

Bill

I wish Dr Kiely did do good work, I would have had a procedure with him a while back but he has a very poor reputation in Ireland. It's easy for a doc to send their few decent results to you but trust me no client should be butchered again by that man. He's destroyed lives and that's not an exaggeration.

James2000,

I've seen a couple of members mention how Dr. Kiely has a poor reputation in Ireland and doesn't do good work. However, I'm wondering where you and others are getting this information? Honestly, I haven't really seen any of his work on public forums other than a few testimonials without photos.

I do know in talking with Dr. Kiely that he claims he's had problems with competitors anonymously badmouthing him both privately and publicly which quite frankly, is a shameful tactic.

Hopefully this isn't the case here. Thus, I'm asking that you provide me with examples or evidence that support your claims.

Thanks,

Bill

I could post links to pictures of his sub standard work, but they would be links to other forums, and i'm sure you can look those up for yourself, it only took me 30 secs to find butchered patients, the first one I found has now been repaired by our Dr Feller.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

here is some of the scars Dr. Kiely ireland left me with also around 1800 grafts out of maybe 3500 grew in total im looking for outhers to come forward so we can get something done about this joke of a doc please contact me if u need too

i had 3 strips with him 1st one around 860 grafts most grew

2nd 1300 grafts around 50 grew

3rd 1340 or so and id say 1000 grew

5b32ccc1545f6_picof3scars.jpg.d7730c61584eb7eb044d55230039964c.jpg

5b32ccc16c456_scarlarge.jpg.ef516d747dfe7f49a42e1262d646c9e3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, new user here. I had a hair transplant with Dr Kiely in November 2009, since then I have tried to meet him twice to have a review. Each time I have been told he is not available as he is off sick.

One time I was told he had suffered a heart attack. It all seems very dodgy. I recently had a consultation with the Ailesbury group who said it looked liked about 1000 hairs had grown which is disappointing as I had 3000 hairs transplanted. I'm pretty disappointed with the results.

I found Dr Kiely to be a complete liar, he told me once it was done and all settled I would be able to shave the donor area with a blade 2 without anybody noticing anything that was a lie. The scar to be fair is not bad but because it of the missing line of hair there is a line when my hair is short. Now you may say I should have expected that but he told me it would be fine with blade 2.

Also I was told before the procedure they would just shave a small line under my hair line. What they actually did was shave a centimetre or more wide line around my head. I was told 4 days off work would be enough to take off work it was not! I had to wait weeks for the hair to grow back. Dr Kiely (if he is a doctor) mislead all the way through and I would tell everyone to stay away from him.

I do have a question though, had anyone had a procedure with the Ailesbury clinic in Dublin and what was your experience with them like? Did it work? Did it leave any marks on your donor area?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

hey i had my 4th with Ailesbury clinic in jan 2011 no scars and grafts are allready growing in i had 3 with kiely all where rubbish Ailesbury clinic are great and as good as anything iv seen on net ask for dr john if you go ahead with a transplant

I do think this thread is potentially very unfair. Dr Kiely is saying his competitors rubbish him, and lo and behold a new user with no posts comes on and criticises him. Surely if you have a bad result and you want to be taken seriously you post a bolg, hairsite etc. so we can all judge?

I'm just saying that this Doctor might be great, no idea, but it all seems very suspicious and makes me think maybe he really does have vicious competition who are setting out to ruin him.

hi i posted pics above of the scars i think i have they say it all i would also like you to take note dr collins and ailsburys hair clinic have no body slating them which shows the only bad egg in ireland in kiely

he should be stuck off butcher he is

also if you look back on my posts you can see i wit do not work for him i had 3 transplants with him

Edited by mcriot29

No offense McRiot I was more referring to Harhair above who for his first post slides in with big criticism of Dr Kiely and then follows the well worn path of asking innocent questions about a competitor.

I agree with you he has only 1 post so odds are he works for another irish clinic

but the clinic he asks about have gave me a great result only 3 months out and id say 40 percent have grown in already and no scare from there fue method infact as good as feller

who is one of the best at fue

• 1 year later...

Hi i am from Ireland and considering getting an AHI hair transplant with Ailesbury Clinic in Dublin, there dont appear to be many reviews on the Dublin branch there are however a lot of terrible reviews on Dr Keily in the Cork branch !! Can anyone share their experiences with the Dublin clinic ? I am new to this site and not entirely sure how to use it yet !!

Thanks

Garret

Hi i am from Ireland and considering getting an AHI hair transplant with Ailesbury Clinic in Dublin, there dont appear to be many reviews on the Dublin branch there are however a lot of terrible reviews on Dr Keily in the Cork branch !! Can anyone share their experiences with the Dublin clinic ? I am new to this site and not entirely sure how to use it yet !!

Thanks

Garret

You should consider Dr Bisanga in Brussels mate. Based on the research i have done his FUE work is second to none.

Ailesbury clinic are good but expensive from what i have seen.

• 11 months later...

I can't believe that someone is actually recommending the ailesbury clinic dublin, I don't know dr. Kiely but by the sound's of it to me the ailesbury clinic is absolutely no different, I had a procedure with the ailesbury clinic and got butchered by the doctor mentioned above and which i later found out after the procedure he worked for a greek company before ( can't mention the name of the company on this forum anymore for some reason but do your research and you'll know which one!) the ailesbury clinic ruined my life and self confidence do not trust these people do your research and don't make the mistake i did!!

Bit of an old thread, but as you bumped it, they don't only do HT's which is a red flag for me, and they call them Hair Implants, bad terminology in my book, also they guarantee their work, not possible either as once you have been cut there is NO way of going back, if it doesn't grow you cant simply re do it, the grafts have been lost, the scar is there