HT : A good choice for me or not ??

I am a 25 years old male. I have been suffering hair loss since last 2-2.5 years. Since childhood my hair density was on the lower side, but after reaching an age of 23 I experienced acute hair-loss. I tried to control it by using herbal medicines and other homeopathic treatments but there was no improvement. Fortunately I came across this forum and found invaluable information about surgical and non-surgical treatments. Since past 6 months I have been using finasteride (1mg) and minoxidil both manufactured by Dr. Reddy's. After its usage, the hair loss seems to have stabilized and I am not suffering hair loss like before but I have already lost a good amount of hair in the crown and front area and want to cover these area by surgery.

The dilemma which I am facing is that currently my hair are able to cover my scalp and there are no patches of baldness visible. However, any slightest gush of wind or sweating is enough to disturb my hair-style and reveal the receding hair-line. Due to this I avoid going out and slowly I am getting secluded from my social circle. On the other hand if I go for a surgery and something goes wrong then things would be much worse that they are at present.

I request the experienced members, doctors to view my pictures (with wet and dry hair) and advice me if going for a surgery right now is a good idea or should I wait for some more time. Personally I feel since the hair loss has stabilized and sooner or later I have to go under the knife isn't it a better idea to get over with it asap and get on with my life without further lowering my self-confidence, viewing my receding hair-line in the mirror daily.

P.S: I have done a good amount of research on surgeons and finalized on some of them (which are recommended on this forum) but the concern is whether to go for surgery right now or wait.

front1.jpg.7106fc833528874f1be4cfeffcea6847.jpg

front3.jpg.17456d8e02341a7011a2671a19a15b89.jpg

top1.jpg.ad3c54e332910dc52966fde3095e4654.jpg

side_right.jpg.dff0e82ceaa91b452fb06db9222010d2.jpg

side_left.jpg.d0192555ecd094b7cabc963952cc3b6d.jpg

back.jpg.190125dab6518b3e9e4e0aceff41ebaa.jpg

Front1_dry.jpg.bc6d565e37a46f30319d005d2de50ab6.jpg

Front2_dry.jpg.7f3855efbcc35ec2228d5c6a2017ce12.jpg

Top_dry.jpg.0de8441902d706ac725f0ee91d7a073c.jpg

back_dry.jpg.260fda9fdba888d31ceff9f4c4d9f525.jpg

From the photos it looks like you have a pretty good head of hair. Most people would never know you have ever lost any hair. I really question whether or not any hair transplant doctor could make your hair look thicker than it currently looks. If you lose more hair than that would be a different story. You could change the shape of your current hairline and possible do some work in the corners, but if you are only looking to increase density of existing hair, you may want to wait.

Your hair does look pretty darn thick overall. Have you noticed any thickening at the areas of concern since starting the finasteride? I think it's still possible to see some continued thickening at the crown after 6 months, and either way it doesn't really look bad enough to touch at this time. At the front I do see recession and although it doesn't look bad at all and shouldn't prevent you from enjoying the same social activities you've always enjoyed, I do understand that it will be distressing to a guy. If you were to get surgery I would concentrate on the front and really try an resist aiming for where your hairline might have been before the hairloss curse took hold.

Is it possible to take some better photos? If you were to send some out to doctors it would help if they were a bit clearer and larger, and also it would help if your hair was brushed back.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks a lot for your response. Actually the problem lies with the fact that though the hair are enough to cover the scalp, they get messed up pretty soon. I cannot apply gel or oil because they further make the hair stick together and patches or baldness become visible. Is it possible to do some corrective work only in the front and leave the rest of the area for later when I'd be going for increased density? If yes how many grafts do I need right now.

P.S: for clarity I've attached few additional snaps with my hair combed backwards

1.jpg.7c6a7dea87027c6dc435d85a524fbecc.jpg

2.jpg.fed7ef9e2e7865ad57de3dec904d9d1d.jpg

3.jpg.e12fe6834de29c5da2df3bf69bef3aa5.jpg

4.jpg.3e8367448028ee82842286ab4ecfe6c6.jpg

5.jpg.71a52e3d1c8600105071bd14443ee806.jpg

6.jpg.ee164f85950317b4d4d7fe64c205e73d.jpg

7.jpg.7095a00cd14e7aae0f42df0630ae8b70.jpg

8.jpg.82fc650f81e0f4af6678184e7a5b1e68.jpg

9.jpg.5d905eea6c72920588422ecaf28c04d4.jpg

10.jpg.917a089ead5414ad7d175001d92f7d8d.jpg

wierdh3d,

Welcome to our community.

I completely agree with what Dr. Charles and Mattj have already said. while I understand you'd like more density (don't we all?), you still have an excellent head of hair that looks very natural and thick. Propecia and Rogaine are the best things you can do right now to help you maintain and possibily thicken your existing hair. How have they been working for you?

I know you don't want to hear this, but in my opinion, you are not a candidate for hair transplant surgery at this time.

All the Best,

Bill

• 4 weeks later...
wierdh3d,

Welcome to our community.

I completely agree with what Dr. Charles and Mattj have already said. while I understand you'd like more density (don't we all?), you still have an excellent head of hair that looks very natural and thick. Propecia and Rogaine are the best things you can do right now to help you maintain and possibily thicken your existing hair. How have they been working for you?

I know you don't want to hear this, but in my opinion, you are not a candidate for hair transplant surgery at this time.

All the Best,

Bill

Dear wierdh3d,

I agree with my friends DR. Charles, Mattj and Bill. To be very honest, I will also not recommend you to go for surgical option right now. I will only recommend you medical option i.e finasteride 1mg, and minoxidil 5%.

Regards

Shangla

DR Humayun Hair transplant Institute

I am patient Advisor to Dr. Humayun Mohmand Hair Transplant Institute, Pakistan. All opinions and views shared are my own. Not a medical professional.

weirdh3d,

Yah, you don't need a transplant. Jerk! ;)

I'd say just stick with the Finasteride and if you want to take care of the thinner regions then just dab a little toppik/nanogen or apply some dermmatch and it will certainly do the trick.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I thank all of you for your advise and support. I have changed the way I wear my hair by cutting them short and combing them back to front. This has shown a lot of improvements and with dry hair balding patches are not explicitly visible. I would be using non surgical treatments (fansteride & minoxidil) and applying Toppik and using Laser Comb occasionally for functions etc.

Thanks a lot for your help and support

If you were to get transplants to "keep up" density in areas where you still have native hair, you could experience the dreaded shock loss. I tried that routine in my early 20's and I learned it's better to wait and see what is going to happen and where you're pattern is going before doing surgery. Stay on Finasteride and Minoxidil. It very well may reverse some of the thinning since you are in the early stages.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

seeing all your pictures i think the plan is perfect, but we must not forget one thing, the pictures are two dimensional and the reality is three dimensional which can have a very different view. So best thing would be go to a local well reputed doctor or have a video conferencing that can give us some more insight into your hair loss.

---

I am a medical advisor to Lexington International and Hairmax. What ever I say is my personal opinion.

Dr. Mohmand is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network