New HT - staples too high ?

PD

Thanks for your response Doc. if you were to do a surgery for lets say 4500 grafts would that mean that the scar would be double the size of a 2300 graft surgery. Also, what are the factors you consider in suggesting the graft size for surgery. Also, since you are an expert in FUE, can i expect to get a 3000 graft FUE surgery and not have to worry about the scar. again, i am sure you are busy so please take your time in replying

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Currently at about 1 month post op, pain is about 3 on a 10 scale.

Numbing is still at about 90% both donor and recepient area. Except for the the triangular look, which scares the heck out of me, I am beginning to get normal.

Check out my photo album, link in my signature.

The other day, I used a #7 clipper and it started showing the line, not the scar, (a pit showing scalp where strip was taken out), probably because of the shaving done at the donor area. Shouldnt have done it, but then again, I was tired of long hair in this hot weather. Should be ok in a couple weeks.

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified medical professional nor do i work for any doctor, hence these are my personal and honest views. Hopefully I will benefit someone as I had benefitted from this awesome forum.

My HT blog - 2600 - Dr. Feller: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/blog/68/

photo album: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/albums/135

Furthermore, PD and I did discuss a second procedure prior to the first procedure which might be utilized to lower the hairline, or push toward the crown, or a bit of both.

I havent seen this post before, this is completely untrue! I dont understand why the doc had to make this statement, it is over and it is what it is... a doctor may be doing 10 of these every week, but a patient like me will only do one per lifetime, so i got all my senses alert during the initial conversation, the only discussion was about the hair line.

More than hairline or adding more to the crown, my only problem is with the "triangular look" - something a patient shouldn't have to even mention - like someone said, each transplant should be as standalone as possible.

While I do agree with the doc that he didnt tell me that one surgery is all I need, he certainly did tell me that I had enough donor hair for three people, but thats ok! Of course, I dont expect him to know exactly how much hair I have on my donor hair. It is just an observation as every recommended doc I had seen, told me I had great thick donor hair, which is obviously a guestimate.

I will tell the readers and doctors one thing though, communication is critical, this is a cosmetic surgery, not an open heart surgery like someone was stating on another post, and the doctor should work with patient - not assume that he is a genius and that he knows best.

Edited by PD

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified medical professional nor do i work for any doctor, hence these are my personal and honest views. Hopefully I will benefit someone as I had benefitted from this awesome forum.

My HT blog - 2600 - Dr. Feller: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/blog/68/

Hi PD

I feel for you buddy and hope everthing works out for you...i would try and get the mind of the triangular look for now....i know it might be difficult to do the same but please try and be patient..it is out of your control now and maybe it looks a better with the hair grown out....Dr. feller has a good reputation and lets trust him for now and let the results speak for themselves....it looks like your goals were conservative and you will be happy with a good hairline for now...but i would be pissed off as well if someone said i had good donor for about 3 people and tell me after the procedures that asian men dont have good donor density..i know the doc denies saying this and nobody knows what happened in your conversation...

Asethetics apart, i would be a lil concerned with the 90% numbing as well..is this nomal? Have you spoken to the doc about this?

Danielwiki,

Like I said, I dont expect a doctor to know exactly how much donor hair one has, I dont even doubt that the tech may have screwed up while splitting grafts. Just want to set the record straight. Thanks for caring.

My goal is to put the facts out there. I have nothing to gain by posting here. My only hope is the patients are more informed and are better aware of the potential pitfalls. I hate to see another patient end up with the triangular look. If I grow my hair long enough, it should be able to cover up the issue. I am still very optimistic and will be.

As for numbing, I hear it varies patient to patient. This is true for any surgery nothing special about a hair transplant.

Edited by PD

Looks to me your staples are about 1/2 inch below the danger zone. And you're healing beautifully:D.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Everything looks pretty normal to me, surgery-wise that is. I think Dr. Feller is right that when all is grown out it will not be a triangle, unless (until ?) the crown becomes slick bald skin behind the plant. Those native hairs in there right now look like they'll be giving up the ghost within a year or two.

My biggest question for PD is why were you thinking even 3000 grafts would be enough for your level of baldness ? I would think you'd need at least 8000 for any HT to stand for the long term, and then keeping a strict proscar regimen to avoid the sides dropping. And when I say "stand" I'm not talking about Brad Pitt's hair density either, I'm talking about a general thinning look throughout that still looks natural. You look like you could even head to NW7 down the line, in which case 15,000 grafts would be needed just to look "normal".

So to say you just wanted a one pass stand alone HT and no more down the line just doesn't make any sense IMO. You say you researched for years, but how could you have missed this one ?

EpilepticSceptic - Do you have anything positive to say on these boards? If you do not believe in the whole HT process, why do you bother coming here? I am not saying we need a rosey picture painted as we all know the downsides and those that don't need to understand them but the constant negativity is just depressing IMO.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I see what you are saying cant decide but you need to give credit to ES for being blunt. He is not against HT as he himself has had surgery...too many times i see mediocre results on this forum and everyone starts showering heaps of praise....the bottom line is everyone is not a HT candidate and the tricky part comes down to when the doctor should put his foot down and deny the surgery...in this case PD's goal is to have a decent looking hairline and i sincerely hope he achieves his goal....but i am a lil worried how the end product might look like in this case...lets just hope for PD's sake it works out to his satisfaction