Nizoral Shanpoo

M1A1,

As you probably know, Nizoral Shampoo contains ketoconazole - a weak inhibitor of Dihydrotestosterone or DHT (the hormone responsible for genetic male pattern baldness). Because of this it's not unreasonable to see an improvement in your hair while using the shampoo several times a week, especially if you're using it in conjunction with other medications like finasteride (Propecia) and minoxidil (Rogaine). According to the Hair Loss Learning Center, Nizoral isn't completely efficient as a stand alone treatment, but can help with hair loss (especially when paired with finasteride and minoxidil). I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 1 month later...

Excuse me FHD, but it is impossible to see an improvement in hair after only a couple of times using a shampoo. The reason that the hair looks better is that Nizoral dries the hair and removes the greasiness in hair and gives volume to the hair.

M1A1,

As you probably know, Nizoral Shampoo contains ketoconazole - a weak inhibitor of Dihydrotestosterone or DHT (the hormone responsible for genetic male pattern baldness). Because of this it's not unreasonable to see an improvement in your hair while using the shampoo several times a week, especially if you're using it in conjunction with other medications like finasteride (Propecia) and minoxidil (Rogaine). According to the Hair Loss Learning Center, Nizoral isn't completely efficient as a stand alone treatment, but can help with hair loss (especially when paired with finasteride and minoxidil). I hope this helps!

So r u saying Nizoral isnt really doing anything - you need porpecia and rogaine which are the ones that will actually be doing something; or are you saying that nizoril enhanses the effects of porpecia and rogaine? :confused:

Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealth you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will.

Jawaharal Nehru

• 1 month later...
So r u saying Nizoral isnt really doing anything - you need porpecia and rogaine which are the ones that will actually be doing something; or are you saying that nizoril enhanses the effects of porpecia and rogaine? :confused:

Nizoral works with Propecia and Minoxidil. Nizoral helps block DHT topically while Propecia blocks it internally and Minoxidil stimulates growth. Nizoral is also excellent for oily hair. It helps hair fluff up but you need to use something else behind it or your hair will end up too dry.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I let the Nizoral sit on my head for a while....but my question is would I be washing the medication off it I followed with another shampoo in the same shower sitting?

I only am using about 2 times a week. This stuff fro's my hair out by drying it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 1 month later...

I have noticed that my hair is better when I use two different types of shampoo and rotate them. I typically shampoo once with a creamy shampoo and once with a clear one (like Nioxin). This leaves my hair very clean and tends to work a lot better than just using one shampoo over and over again.

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.

nizoral 2% is best used only every 7 to 10 days as it will make your hair shed excessively in long run and dry it out...... but i have to say it is great stuff but the thing to remember is less is more with nizoral.....

inbetween use shampoo such as neutrogena as its gental and good stuff in its own right....

so the best combo is something like this

neutrogena every day or when needed...

nizoral every 7th or 10th day........

used with a good gentle conditioner!!!!!

thats about as good as it gets IMO...... but yes i love the post nizoral hair look!!!!!