30, and ready for a HT, advice needed please.

Hello,

I will be as frank and honest as possible. I am 30 years old from the UK, I'd say a diffuse Norwood 3/4, with big hair line recession. I keep my hair shaved short, because having it grown out looks unacceptable to me. I'm quite a thin person naturally and look about 18 instead of 30. I can’t really get away with having my hair shaved. I'm also average looking at best so that doesn't help things either.

I feel I need hair as I am in need of a confidence boost. I've had enough of the current way my life is going....which is nowhere to be honest.

I use treatments and have done for years now. Dut, Minox etc. I still use them, and I'd say I have kept what I have for 2/3 years. I might have slowed down my hair loss.

I'd say I am ready now. I have the money. I've been lucky on a betting website believe it or not. I am from the UK, and want a HT as soon as possible, but have no idea where to go. I've had a consultation with dr rogers in 2005, but I was too young then and a bit lost on the whole thing.

I have around ?6-7k ($9-10,000). to spend. I know it's expensive, but would appreciate some guidance on the subject. If possible if you can show me the cheapest route. I can meet people in person if it makes things easier.

What would like done is my hair line filled in. As you can see from the pictures, I have recession, because it is shaved, it does not show the full extent. But would like the hairline filled in via FUE to frame the face once again

I have a wedding in January and really would like it all sorted by then. Is this possible?

Also, living at home with my parents (yes that's how bad things are) I would like to hide it from them as much as possible. I can afford to go way for a while to do this?

How soon can I get something booked up with someone? If required I could also travel to the USA if things are cheaper.

I'd appreciate any advice as I would like to get things done ASAP.

Here are my pictures....

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/reywd30/albums/64

I'm ready for meet people, can also add you to my facebook as long as you don't tell my family what's going on, lol.

what do you advise?

Thanks for any help.

J

Edited by reywd30

From my understanding, spex has good knowledge about this kind of a situation, talk to him.

You can be ready for your wedding if you do it soon. Most guys I see have good results by month 6-8.

Hi,

I'm ready to talk to anyone as I want it sorted asap. How do i contact spex? I've added some more pics with it grown out a bit as well.

Thanks.

j

Edited by reywd30

reywd30,

I understand your frustration and also your excitement to move ahead but take some time to research these forums. The doctors that are recommended here have all had to demonstrate skill and consistent, positive results. Prices will vary from doc to doc but most here will advise that cost and proximity should not be the deciding factors when choosing your HT doctor.

You can contact Spex here. He is the UK patient consultant for Dr. Feller. Spex will be happy to speak with you and, depending on your location, even meet with you to discuss your options. I also recommend investigating other doctors and scheduling a few free online consultations before making a decision.

Best of luck to you and please keep us informed of your progress.

TTP

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Reywd30,

if i was in your shoes, i wouldn't chance getting into hair transplant world. From your pics, i would say u will need future procedures to keep up with progressive recession, keep that in mind. You may elect for surgery and look good for a year or two and then after be hooked in future procedures.

You may be sold in hearing so many positive things about this so called, "positive transformation procedure" but it's not all that.

Be careful on who u select....

MP96, my hair loss has been stable for around 4/5 years. Has not really progressed from how you see it. This has probably been because of the meds.

I appreciate what you are saying about be careful who I choose. That's why I am here, to ask advice from the experts.

I want to get it done ASAP.

Thanks.

reywd30,

Welcome to our new enhanced forum and social community. When I first saw your pictures, I knew you were a young guy, but I was going to guess early 20's from your photos. So I see why people think you look like you're 18 or so...take that as a compliment :-).

Now that I know your 30 instead of your early 20's, I don't think there is anything wrong with considering a hair transplant.

First and foremost, take your time and research all your options including the pros and cons of hair transplant surgery. This should include learning about the advantages, limitations, and potential risks that go along with follicular unit hair transplantation (FUT/Strip) and follicular unit extraction (FUE).

If you aren't already on it, consider getting on Propecia and Rogaine to help stop your hair loss from progressing further. It may also thicken up some of your existing thinning hair.

Carefully research all hair restoration physicians you are considering. Coalition members Drs. Bessam and Nilofer Farjo of the Farjo Clinic are doing state of the art hair transplants in the UK. If you're interested in meeting with people in person, you may want to contact Mick McHugh who consults for them or Spex, a UK consultant for Coalition member Dr. Feller of New York.

If you do decide to go through with surgery, while you may very well see a good percentage of new hair growth at 6 months, expect it to take a full year before your hair transplant matures.

If there's anything else I can do to help, let me know.

Best wishes in considering your options for restoring your hair,

Bill

I know you're primarily interested in FUE however, I wouldn't rule out FUT entirely until after you've spent more time researching and considering both options.

Hi there,

I am more than happy to meet up and offer some help - I think you initially need to really spend time understanding HT's before pulling any trigger, if at all.

Many guys just want it sorted out as fast as possible and all want FUE - the majority of these guys live to regret it as rush in before understanding HT's and the long term commitment.

Be very careful from here on in and be aware if you get told exactly what you want to hear its not neccessarily the right info.

Research - research - research is the key to a successful HT short term and long term.

Happy to help so just let me know:cool:

Regards

Spex

Hi Spex.

To be honest, I've been researching these places for years, 2003 I think. Youre the expert, tell me what I would need to do to get a HT ASAP. Is Dr Feller a good option? I'd love to go to NY and can use it as a holiday as well.

How soon could he fit me in? Bear in mind I have that wedding in january which is around 8 months away.

Also, I do work from home, so facing people is not a big problem, although I would like to hide it as much as possible. How long does scarring last considering I have my hair shaved? When will all scarring go?

Some say that I will need 8 months to a year before I am ready to go to a wedding. What do they mean? Are they saying I will have 8 months of scars before it's acceptable to go out in public?

How can I get this booked ASAP spex?

Also, I live with my parents. Is there any way I could hide this from them? Make up some story that i got into a fight with someone (wherever the surgery is) and got my head messed up, something like that.....lol. How reliastic would it be for me to blag my way out them sussing that I have a ht.

Thanks.

j

Thanks.

I feel it's the right time personally.

I am 30 now, I've used treatments for 7/8 years and have managed to keep hold of what I have I'd say for around 4/5 years. The biggest obstacle is being ready for January, although there are others.

I would get it done tomorrow if possible.

Thanks.

Thanks Spex. That is very unfortunate. I just don't have the time or will so sit around all day researching Hair transplants, my life is bad enough already. What good will it do me anyway?

So bascailly, it's over then? I appreciate his opinion though. I've taken dut and minox for 5 years and has not really progressed. Does this count for nothing?

I am 30 now, so if I can't get one at this stage, when can I?! It's going to be too late soon tbh.

How disappointing....

Spex,

Do you think maybe you ought to meet with reywd30 in person to view his hair and discuss his goals further? While I'm certainly not a physician, I think with realistic expectations and a commitment to the possibility of future work down the road (depending on his donor), he may be a suitable candidate for hair transplant surgery.

I think his primary problem right now is that he needs to take a deep breath and slow down. I suspect his need to rush into something may be a big part of why Dr. Feller feels he's not a candidate for surgery.

Best wishes,

Bill

Spex,

Why does Dr. Feller believe reywd30 isn't a good candidate? I'm not questioning Dr. Feller's judgment, and in fact I think it's great that he's so honest, but what did he see that precludes reywd30 from being a candidate? I'm very curious about this.

reywd30,

I certainly understand your desire to look better. However, I see some clear red flags. I don't think you'll like what I have to say, but here it is.

You're being too hard on yourself, first off. Of course it sucks to have to live with your parents (I've done it), but its not the end of the world. Do you have your health? Do you have a family that cares about you? It looks as if your donor area is pretty good. Count your blessing mate!

In my opinion, if you can't confide in your family, then who can you confide in? There is a time in any parent-child relationship where you have to relate to each other as adults and not as you did in high school. Time to grow up. If they disagree, at least you've become your own person and who won't respect that??

SLOW DOWN. Forget about the wedding! In fact, I think you're better off waiting until after the wedding. Go with your head shaved. There is no guarantee that you will get the results you want in 8-9 months, and most likely it will take 2 sessions to get the density you want.

A Hair Transplant will help with self confidence. HELP, is the key word. Only you can decide to have the mental attitude that gives you self confidence. It sounds like you're really betting the farm on this turning everything around. If you're not OK with yourself inside, then an improvement outside will be a short term gain at best.

We're all here to help and support you, but also to tell it like it is. I hope what I've said will be helpful.

Panama Jimmy

reywd30,

Panama Jimmy's advice is spot on. Personally, I think you have the physical characteristics to eventually get a good result. It usually takes more time and money than you at first might imagine. If you dont have the financial and emotional stability, getting a HT can be a bad idea.

Doctors screen for more than just physical characteristics. They will probe your financial and emotional states. This is probably for the best.

THat said, I guarantee you could find a doctor to work on you tomorrow. But you should only be talking to the best of the best. There are less than ten docs to consider, IMO. I'm pretty sure you can set up a good restoration plan with one of them, but it may cost up to 30K total and take a few surgeries.

There are things you CAN do to improve your confidence right now. Take up marathon running or get into weightlifting. It sounds stupid, but if you feel that you have physical limitations right now, you can make drastic improvement by being in shape. Your face will look differnt, you will feel better. Then when your confidence has improved from that, you can look into HT.

Or you could focus on intellectual pursuits / hobbies and put physicality behind you.

Its a longer road for some people but you can get there.

Reywd 30 the hair restoration industry is full of sharks that would gladly disfigure you and take your cash, so even though it might not seem like it you are lucky to have received such sound advice from an ethical surgeon like Dr Feller.