HT vs Breast Augmentation?

I'm considering HT, but I had this idea for some reason and figured I'd put it up on the forum to create a discourse and see what kind of thoughts and responses I get.

Do you guys think that getting a HT is the equivalent of a female getting Breast Enhancment surgery? Why or why not?

Thanks

I'm considering HT, but I had this idea for some reason and figured I'd put it up on the forum to create a discourse and see what kind of thoughts and responses I get.

Do you guys think that getting a HT is the equivalent of a female getting Breast Enhancment surgery? Why or why not?

Thanks

Interesting question....the answer is both yes and no.

Reasons for yes

1. They are both cosmetic surgeries

2. Men and women get cosmetic surgeries because they want to improve their appearance and/or are insecure about their appearance

Reasons for no:

1. Breast Augmentation involves putting something artificial in your body...rumor has it, they have to be replaced after 10 or 15 years. HT's is taking something that is yours and transplanting it somewhere else growing it naturally. After recovery, there is no need to worry about something bursting, rupturing, or shifting

2. Recovery time is much less for an HT, but the waiting time for an HT to see results is longer

There...I'm sure there are other reasons for both if I REALLY put thought into it. My profession requires that I look at all sides of things and rarely is there a straight "right" or "wrong" answer or straight "yes" or "no" answer icon_wink.gif

Bill

Sorry Boys!!!!!!

Bigger Boobs produce what is known as "Us guys acting crazy and doing shit we would normally NOT do!" icon_biggrin.gif

Getting a HT is nowhere near that.

The only male cosmetic surgery that would compare is penile enlargement = breast enlargement

HAHA!!!!! Having fun as always!!!!!!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I meant morally. LIke there are a lot of people that argue against females getting breast enchancement, for reasons aside from the typical physical risks. I meant from a stickly moral stand point.

If both proceduces were 100% effective and 100% safe are they comparable or is there a reason why one procedure would be okay but the ohter not?

LOL B-Spot! Very true. Though I have seen some breast enlargements that are just simply way TOO big....darn things looked like torpedos attached to her chest! Got a good laugh though. And of course...out of the group of people I was hanging out with...i was the one to blurt something out! LOL. We all got a good laugh. The girl wasn't in ear range though...which is good...I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings. Besides, I wouldn't want to be attacked by those things icon_biggrin.gif

AnArabiaNight,

Anybody can argue something morally...I don't have a moral problem with it personally...but I'm sure some people would. Most people probably wouldn't be able to put their finger on it, however, why they feel it's morally wrong. I imagine people might have more of a "moral" problem with breast augmentation just simply because we are talking about BREASTS and not hair. Anyway...I have a very close lady friend who had breast enlargements. She looks great with them...proportional and everything, though honestly, she looked great before. I just worry for her for long term care. She actually had to go back to get them readjusted after 8 months the first time. So far so good the second time...we'll see though icon_wink.gif

Bill

Interesting question...

Medically -- no comparison, I think it is safe to say. The risks, short and long term, with a HT are infinitesimal (with a competent surgeon) with an HT, as opposed to what I have read about with breast implants...infection, rupture, and for that matter even if they succeed otherwse, I read recently that the most popular ones actually have to be replaced after a certain period of time, requiring invasive surgery yet again.

Morally...depends on your frame of reference. I suppose that someone who felt strongly that vanity to any degree was wrong would have an objection to either kind of procedure. Personally, I don't object to either, but I guess you'd say that to me there's a line in the sand between risk and reward -- I don't think it's worth risking one's health or, certainly, life, for a cosmetic improvement. That said, that's my own choice. Were the risks of a HT, for instance, comparable to those associated with female breast implants, or for that matter scalp reductions, I wouldn't have done it.

Aesthetically...I think it's a matter of the eye of the beholder (or, er, breast holder...). This may sound irrational, but I would be turned off by implants, just knowing that they were fake...I'd honestly have difficulty getting past the knowledge that they were essentially plastic sacs filled with some liquid. Perhaps many women would feel the same way about a man wearing a rug...I honestly don't know. I'd also feel weird if, say, medical technology allowed us to implant fake hair successfully; somehow the thought of "nanohairs" or whatever in my scalp would kind of freak me out. Which probably sounds odd, because in a sense a HT is not "natural;" yes, it's our own hair and follicles with our own DNA, but it's only where it is because a doctor and staff physically moved it there. The fact that it can be done so skillfully, for me at least, is why I pretty much forget how the hair I see growing, right now, got there!

Some more or less random thoughts...and a good question...

Benjamin

Morally?

I don't think breast augmentation would be covered under "morals"

What a women would DO with her breast is a moral issue, regardless of whether or not she had them augmented or not.

I'm not exactly sure why you would draw this comparision, but that is my take on it!

Cheers!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 1 month later...

I realize this post is really old, but I think it is a ridiculous comparison! You could get a hair transplant without anyone ever knowing. There is no visible scar, and the hair does not feel different from real hair, because it is real! Breast implants leave a scar upon inspection under the breast, and most people can tell by feeling them that they are hard and don't feel like real breasts. Most discerning individuals will also be able to tell just by looking at you.

With breast implants, you will have the stigma your whole life of people thinking you are fake. Maybe the implants will look good and I think there is nothing wrong (morally) with any type of plastic surgery. I just know that certain people will always consider you to be fake if you get the breast implants, whereas hair transplant can be your little secret!

irishitaliangirl,

Oddly enough, when you make a comparison like that, I actually disagree with you. HT leaves scarring, though most people may not see it...most people would not see a breast implant scar unless she is imtimate with many people. Regarding naturalness, I would agree with you...but just as a good surgeon can create a natural looking HT, I believe a good surgeon can create a natural looking breast implant. Surely there are extremes on each side where it's obvious something is wrong. Women with extremely large perky breasts will be spotted as a fake, and so will a 50 year old with a low hairline with very little hair trailing behind (not mentioning any doctor's names icon_wink.gif)

Bill

Guest Cousin_It

Irish...

I couldn't disagree with you more. You first state

"You could get a hair transplant without anyone ever knowing"

I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. First off, up until recently, just about all transplants were obvious, in fact this is still true with the exception of a limited number of surgeons that utilize ultra refined techniques. Plugs too large with poor placement made these transplants highly visible, anyone with eyes could see it!

Also, even when done by the best, the transition period from surgery to an acceptable level of hair growth where one appears normal can be lengthy, in the interim guys wear hats and avoid many social functions for fear of being discovered. This is not the case with breast augmentation, there will be some swelling, but inside of a week you look normal out in the public, though the healing process will continue for a few months.

Your next statement, "there is no visible scar", this is true as long as you wear your hair sufficiently long to cover it, that is, if it was done by a competent surgeon, if not then even this does not work. You have an advantage again in this issue, even in a bikini or underwear your scar would not be visible. The only way to make it visible would be to lift up your breast to expose it, I doubt you are in the habit of doing this!

Another point you made "Most discerning individuals will also be able to tell just by looking at you", this is not true. Unless you decided to greatly enhance yourself, such as going from an A to D cup, no one is going to get the impression you have had a breast enlargement. If you use good judgement and are realistic in what you should achieve there is no reason for anyone to know what you have done.

The last statement "most people can tell by feeling them that they are hard and don't feel like real breasts", other than yourself how many people are permitted to feel your breasts! I am sure you feel the difference, but realistically, how will someone else know how they feel? Its your secret, no reason to make anyone else aware of it.

I agree with irishitaliangirl in that hair from a HT is real hair that continues to grow and that with breast augmentation the breasts are fake, padded with bags of silicone or whatever they use nowadays. I suppose if they used the patients own abdominal fat instead of silicone, it would just be a fat transplant and the two would be comparable.

PB,

Yes, breast implants are fake and the hair is real, but we are talking about the look of a hair and breast implant. There is nothing "real" about surgically removing hair from the sides and back of one's head and transplanting it into the recipient area. Both have the possibility of looking "fake" either with an extreme breast implant or in the case of an HT, a poor physician.

Definiately and interesting and fun topic to discuss.

Cousin,

Yes, a valid question and a funny one!

Bill

Originally posted by AnArabiaNight:

I meant morally. LIke there are a lot of people that argue against females getting breast enchancement, for reasons aside from the typical physical risks. I meant from a stickly moral stand point.

If both proceduces were 100% effective and 100% safe are they comparable or is there a reason why one procedure would be okay but the ohter not?

AAN-

Interesting question but this will be TOTALLY dependent on a particular individuals reference point for their moral beliefs. Personally, no, I do not think it is morally wrong to get a hair transplant. I throw breat implant into the same category from the standpoint that they are both cosmetic surgery and are performed to make that particular person feel better about how they appear.

To determine right or wrong with anything, it always comes down to what is used for your point of reference. Otherwise.........it's just an OPINION and Moral Relativism kicks into high gear!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Guest Cousin_It

Irish and guys...

One point just came to mind concerning the justification of having a transplant as opposed to a breast augmentation.

In a hair transplant we are only trying to regain something we used to have, in the case of breast surgery you are trying to get something you never had. To me it seems it would be more ethical to do the former rather than the latter.