Confused

I am very new to this forum but I have been researching for quite a long time. I had a transplant 16 years ago in Toronto by Dr. Cole. It is certainly not the best job I have ever seen but I understand that it was several years ago and he was very limited as to what he was capable of performing. Due to the fact that I still had a decent amount of my own native hair, it has giving me several years of increased confidence through my 20's and early 30's(surgery done when 22). I guess now I am not as vain as I was and would be more comfortable with letting nature take its course, but I am forced into getting another procedure now as the natural aging process is happening and I am seeing a slightly pluggish look appearing.

I have been putting off the inevitable because of being super nervous about going through the procedure again. Not that the 1st was that terrible or anything,but I am a doctor and in the public eye and have been concerned with the time off and who will notice.--like most of us I guess. What is a "safe" amount of time to take off work so that things will heal enough. I see some posts that look scarey for about a week and others that you can hardly tell after a couple of days. I am guessing but think that I will need about 1500-2000 fu's.

I am confused about choosing doctor. I have narrowed down to scheduling with Shapiro, HW,Rose, and Tessler. I live close to the Detroit area and have chosen to set up an appt with Tessler because of convenience.(I told myself before that this is a lifelong decision that I will NOT base on convenience alone) I have not heard much on forums about him so it scares me a little. I realize that Pat has visited his clinic and says good things, but that scares me too because I havent seen Pat post anything negative about his onsite visits. Are they legit?? Tesslers website pictures are not the best either and there are few postings. Can he provide a quality and artistic hairline for a younger patient? Ofcourse I would want to see some of his patients in person.

As I said, I am not going to decide based on convenience, but if a quality doctor is nearby, why not? If these guys want to demonstrate their skills, why do they not post more photos for us to view and good photos at that? That recent video of a HW patient was sweet. When I decide to proceed to the next surgery I will post several before, during, and after photos so that I can help to inform all of you guys. I truly appreciate this site and especially all of the very well informed/educated regulars. I look forward to responses. Thanks.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I am very new to this forum but I have been researching for quite a long time. I had a transplant 16 years ago in Toronto by Dr. Cole. It is certainly not the best job I have ever seen but I understand that it was several years ago and he was very limited as to what he was capable of performing. Due to the fact that I still had a decent amount of my own native hair, it has giving me several years of increased confidence through my 20's and early 30's(surgery done when 22). I guess now I am not as vain as I was and would be more comfortable with letting nature take its course, but I am forced into getting another procedure now as the natural aging process is happening and I am seeing a slightly pluggish look appearing.

I have been putting off the inevitable because of being super nervous about going through the procedure again. Not that the 1st was that terrible or anything,but I am a doctor and in the public eye and have been concerned with the time off and who will notice.--like most of us I guess. What is a "safe" amount of time to take off work so that things will heal enough. I see some posts that look scarey for about a week and others that you can hardly tell after a couple of days. I am guessing but think that I will need about 1500-2000 fu's.

I am confused about choosing doctor. I have narrowed down to scheduling with Shapiro, HW,Rose, and Tessler. I live close to the Detroit area and have chosen to set up an appt with Tessler because of convenience.(I told myself before that this is a lifelong decision that I will NOT base on convenience alone) I have not heard much on forums about him so it scares me a little. I realize that Pat has visited his clinic and says good things, but that scares me too because I havent seen Pat post anything negative about his onsite visits. Are they legit?? Tesslers website pictures are not the best either and there are few postings. Can he provide a quality and artistic hairline for a younger patient? Ofcourse I would want to see some of his patients in person.

As I said, I am not going to decide based on convenience, but if a quality doctor is nearby, why not? If these guys want to demonstrate their skills, why do they not post more photos for us to view and good photos at that? That recent video of a HW patient was sweet. When I decide to proceed to the next surgery I will post several before, during, and after photos so that I can help to inform all of you guys. I truly appreciate this site and especially all of the very well informed/educated regulars. I look forward to responses. Thanks.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hello Nervous and welcome,

As far as getting an HT 16 years ago, hair transplanation isn't even the same as you'd remember it from back then...it's changed radically and many people have gotten great results that look natural and relatively dense, depending on each individual patient's case.

That being said...I don't know much about Tessler, but I know I've heard and seen great things from the other docs you have mentioned. Out of the ones you mentioned, I have been to Dr. Hasson. It's too early to tell you about my personal results because I'm only 1 month post op, but He has yielded phenominal results in the majority of patients which is why I chose him for my last surgery.

That being said...it sounds like you have a few concerns and I'll try to address some of them. You can technically go back to work a day or two after the surgery, but certainly it will be noticable that something was done...especially if you go to a doctor who shaves the recipient area like Dr. Hasson. Some doctors shave and some don't...I think Dr. Hasson makes a great case to why it helps yield maximum results...but some patients are so opposed to it because they don't want other people to notice that they'll choose a different doctor. But I will tell you this...my first two surgeries, my docs didn't shave the recipient area, and it was still noticable that something happened.

The process is pretty painless. I took a week and a few days off from work just because I know that I tend to swell up from these surgeries which is common for a few days and then it goes away. Plus, by about day 7-10, all the scabs on top of your head should be gone with only some redness left.

I hope this helps with some of your concerns.

Bill

Hello nervous nelly, Ijust had 2000 by DR Ron Shapiro and I went from NY to Minn. His artistic approuch cannot be surpassed the surgery took 8 hours in the begining I asked when it whould be done he said when we get done he placed the last few hundred or more himself it was like a work of art VanGo could not of painted a better hairline,and he is moderatly priced as well.Keep us posted good buddy.Buy the way I also had some mico minis graghs before this surgery.

Thanks for the quick response guys. As you both know, this whole process is quite the challenging one on your nerves and it is awesome to know that there are others in a similar position. Does anyone know why Pat only has positive things to say about all clinics he visits--and relatively generic comments? No offense to Pat who has done such an awesome thing for all of us. Also, with modern technology and the kinds of $$ some of the coalition doctors make, why don't they provide more and better photos/video on their web sites? Patients don't have to show faces if they don't want.

By the way Bill--things look awesome for you.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hi Nervous,

Yes, it can be nerve racking when trying to figure out how to fight our hairloss, and even worse, I'm sure when trying to correct bad past surgeries.

I can't speak up for why Pat's visits to clinics have been positive on the majority, perhaps Pat can express himself on this. However, I will assure you that Pat doesn't always have positive things to say about every doctor...take a look at the link below which is a post about a Dr. Armani.

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/746...721086591#5721086591

And regarding before/after pictures on website: in all honesty...I don't even go by those. If a certain doctor has caught your eye...look for REAL patients on these forums. Base your opinion on the consistency of a number of patients and not just one. If at all possible, see about meeting some of these patients in person to see the work done. The only clinic I've had the priviledge of meeting 2 former patients was Hasson and Wong. Of course, I met JoTronic who of course works there (a patient of Dr. Wong) and I met another patient there for a follow up who was a patient of Dr. Hasson. Let me just say...I was IMPRESSED!!!!

I hope this helps.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments. I don't like to wish time away...but I really do wish I was already 8 months post op so I could see what I'd look like with my new hair icon_wink.gif

Bill

Bill,

Once again thanks. You're right about the photos, but I guess it is used as a starting point along with what you hear in forums. Trust me, it is going to be one hell of a deal for me to just to walk into the clinic for a consult. Heck, it's challenging for me just to pick up the propecia prescription. Crazy but I'm not the only one I'm sure. It's like being in high school again and getting the condoms for the weekend.

I won't waste any more of your time. I just have to schedule the consult and go from there. I figure that I will talk to Tessler and I know that I am well armed with enough knowledge to discuss my situation with him. I will ofcourse make my decision after talking to Shapiro, HW and Rose. If I can be comfortable that I can get the quality results close to home then why not right? Take care. Thanks for the link.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I felt the same way about having a face-to-face consult, but the experience I had with the Shapiro group was exceptional. I didn't feel like they were gawking at me, looking down at me or anything I had preconceived. Everyone was very friendly, courteous and helpful. I would probably expect the same from any of the quality clinics out there, just my opinion.

I generally have the same feelings in regards to picking up my Propecia prescription but it gets easier, I have been taking it over 4 years. A couple of ways to get around it is to pick it up through a pharmacy that has a drive up (Walgreen's) or find a reliable resource that will deliver through the mail (Shapiro group does this if I am correct).

Smiling & laughing does wonders for the soul!

Laughter is great medicine. I agree with you whole heartedly. I think that sometime we take things too seriously. I know that this decision is a challenge but life is full of them and we continue to move on. I am so grateful that there is so much advancement in HT that allows us an opportunity to do something about what we are uncomfortable with. Thanks

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

While Dr. Tessler is well respected, he has not posted/documented any recent work here for a while.

I spend ALOT of time checking websites and other forums for information that I use when offering an opinion etc...

Here is my opinion---- At this point in time I am inclined to say that a consult with Dr. Tessler would be a GOOD thing, but not necessarily surgery.

You can go to Shapiro, Rose or H&W and you will be well taken care of, rest assured.

However, I would LOVE someone to visit Dr. Tessler and give us the FULL write up as to how everything went, recommendations, equipment, whether or not you got to meet some patients, etc...

That would be very helpful indeed!!!!

I also like to compare and contrast each clincs recommendation, and the experience patients have as well.

This kind of unbiased feedback is so crucial and helpful that I hope you can help us out!!!!

Your a man on a mission!!!!!!!!

Good Luck and keep us posted!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Sorry I'm only now getting back to everyone on this topic. The trip to San Diego for the meeting and clinic visits really threw me offline.

Nervous, you ask many excellent questions. And frankly your nervousness is serving you well. I think your list of prospective physicians is excellent.

People of course go with where they are most comfortable and assured of optimal results. That's why the physicians who get favorable reviews on this forum tend to get the lions share of trust and thus patients. Of course, this process then becomes self perpetuationg.

Unfortunately, many physicians like Dr. Tessler quietly do excellent work and do nothing to show their best work on this forum. I'm on them like a bill collector to get more involved. But these doctors already feel over loaded and I can't blame them.

That's one of the reasons I've made an effort to go out on the road and visit these hidden gems and bring them to light on this forum. Tessler is one of these way too modest hidden gems.

As for the far too many mediocre to horrendous hair transplant surgeons - I steer around them both online and when I'm on the road visiting clinics. Long ago I chose to present and recommend only those clinics that I'm confident in and forget about the rest.

I could certainly put together a very long BLACKLIST of the notorious and mediocre based on years of patient input. But I've chosen to point people toward the light rather than focus on the dark. I guess it's like the old mother expression "If you don't have some thing good to say then don't say any thing at all."

Frankly, there are plenty of horror stories that have been front and center on this forum over the years (fortunately they get more and more rare as patients are making better decisions). One only needs to click on the Find button and enter a physicians' name to see their rap sheet. Occasionally I can't help myself and take a stab online. But mostly I try to focus on the gems and let the excess fall off to the wayside.

Therefore I only include the impressive clinics in the "Visits to Leading Hair Transplant Clinics" section.

I'd be curious to hear how your consults go and what you learn.

I think you are clearly on the right track to achieving a favorable and positive outcome.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Pat,

Thanks so much for responding. I feel more confident knowing that Dr. Tessler comes with a solid reference such as yourself. I am heading in to see him next week. I have decided to document everything because I think that if he is that talented others need to know. He is the 1st consult in my journey.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

• Administrators

Nervous,

I expect your journey will take you in a very postive direction. We all look forward to sharing the journey.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• 5 months later...

Hi Bill. You seem to know much about HTs. I just had my 2nd HT procedure on April 27, 2007. The 1st was on May 2006. Can I ask you some questions?

In my 1st session, I was given a new hairline and the grafts were all placed in the hairline going 1 inch toward the top. In my 2nd session, grafts were added in the same area as my 1st session, as well as in the top and crown areas. I am noticing much falling hair after my 2nd session. I think that even the already thick and long hairs from my 1st session are falling out too. I just wanna know if this is a normal experience caused by "shock."

I would also like to ask if Propecia is really a good partner for us HTsters. I am paranoid most of the time, especially because I am worried that even though I had two HT sessions already that it might not be enough because my existing non-HT hairs will drop down like flies.

My doctor here in the Philippines has not suggested to me to use Propecia. So your opinion about it will help me decide whether to talk to my doctor about it or not. Thanks!

Pao Pao,

Welcome to our community.

I would suggest that you pose your questions in a new thread so you will get more answers....but I will answer you here as well.

Without knowing the details of your case, I couldn't give you exact answers...but here is what is typical:

New grafts start to shed typically between 2-4 weeks and most if not all will fall out and start regrowing around 3 months. If hair was transplanted around previously transplanted hair and/or native hair, these hairs may be temporarily shocked. Native hairs that are miniaturized (on their way to fall out) could be permanently shocked.

So to answer your question about Propecia, yes...if you have a good amount of native hair, Propecia is worth considering. It's especialy helpful to take 6 month to a year before surgery to help strengthen the hair.

Who was your doctor? How old are you? Where are/were you on the NW scale before getting surgeries? How many grafts did you receive? Do you have any before/immediately post op/after photos you can show us? How much time has passed since your second HT?

I recommend answering these questions in a NEW thread with pictures so you can get more feedback.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks a lot Bill for your info! Well, you answered my queries already so I guess I do not need to start a new thread anymore. But I can share with you the details of my HT history.

As I mentioned, my 1st HT session was on May 2006. My doctor, Dr. Andrew G. Pineda, was able to get 1,600 grafts from my donor area. All grafts were placed in my hairline and in an area about 1 inch from there.

In my 2nd session, Dr. Pineda was able to get 1,700 grafts. He added density to my hairline area and placed most of the grafts at the back and top of my head. It looks pretty good.

I created a blog so you can see my pics (link below). Thanks again!!!