Dry Scalp (recipient area) Post-Op

Crusts have been gone for a while now and getting back to the normal groove of life (no working out yet icon_frown.gif).

Asking you all for suggestions regarding my recipient site as it is super dry:

-Do you wash the area less?

-Do you use certain shampoos/conditioners?

-Do you apply any lotions or gels to moisturize the recipient area?

*(name brands would help if used)

My daily Post-Op Head Routine:

1. Washing my head twice a day with Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo and Aubrey Organics Natural Moisturizing conditioner.

2. Apply Rogaine foam in the morning and evening after the shower.

3. Apply Aubrey Organics Aloe Vera liquid twice a day to recipient area and scar. The natural aloe vera is a liquid and moisturizes for a little bit, then the scalp gets dry shortly after.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Crusts have been gone for a while now and getting back to the normal groove of life (no working out yet icon_frown.gif).

Asking you all for suggestions regarding my recipient site as it is super dry:

-Do you wash the area less?

-Do you use certain shampoos/conditioners?

-Do you apply any lotions or gels to moisturize the recipient area?

*(name brands would help if used)

My daily Post-Op Head Routine:

1. Washing my head twice a day with Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo and Aubrey Organics Natural Moisturizing conditioner.

2. Apply Rogaine foam in the morning and evening after the shower.

3. Apply Aubrey Organics Aloe Vera liquid twice a day to recipient area and scar. The natural aloe vera is a liquid and moisturizes for a little bit, then the scalp gets dry shortly after.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Eman

My initial HT thread:

Hey HT brother,

I am experiencing the same thing, I was Thinking its probably mostly the Minox. I was getting a lot of flaking, decreased the minox to 2% and it doesn't seem quite as bad. It seems to have stabilized so am back using 5% at night and the 2% during the day and will move back to all 5% in next few day. Other than that hope all is well!!

I had the same dryness problem and I found it was from shampooing twice a day. Even though Johnson & Johnson is mild you can still experience dryness(just from water, even), especially after a few weeks of 2x/day shampoo routine. I put some aloe vera on my scalp and occasionally put vitamin e on the scalp in the 3rd and 4th week if things got too dry on top. I also had dryness and flaking on my face around my ears and forehead and as a result had to start using a moisturizer for my face to help with the dryness. Once I went to 1x/day shampooing the dryness went away for me. You will probably find things clear up by the end of the first month when you stop shampooing several times each day.

Thanks for the responses guys.

tommyf- I have been using the foam and it doesn't seem to irritate or dry me out all that much. I tried not putting the foam on and my scalp I believe my scalp was just dry from over shampooing. Good to hear yours is not as dry!! And you are probably getting as impatient as I am...

roy- minoxidil is supposed to help with growth. I would recommend you begin using it or do as Dr. Wong suggests in his post-op instructions

kman- I think you are right about the washing too much. My concern is if I don't wash twice a day pimples will begin to form. At what point did you wash only once a day--at one month?

Both Kman and Bill- What brand of aloe do you use??

Thanks guys.

Eman

My initial HT thread:

I've been using Aloe sans alcohol on my recipient/donor area as well. Get a clear one without any dye or alcohol.

I have scaled back the amount of times I shampoo to every other day at most. That definitely helps with the dry scalp.

I also use Paul Mitchell conditioner on my hair after I shampoo and towel dry. That is a leave in conditioner and does a nice job keeping the follicles moisturized.

Lastly, with all this dry air out west lately, I have been running a Honeywell filterless humidfier at night. That probably helps my throat and hose more than anything but it does seem like my skin is not as flaky.

Are you saying once daily hairwashes in general (all the time) or are you mainly referring to the few weeks following post-op? Washing daily really dries my hair out unless I condition every single time.

Edit- nm. I see now how that you meant that in response to the initial post. Carry on!

I'd do what the doctor said.

Just got my 2nd transplant and only wash once a day. I went to Tessler & Arnovitz, PC and Dr. Arnovitz told me the same thing (i.e., wash once a day).

I use emu oil and/or rose hip oil to get rid of dryness instead of aloe vera. No reason really, just never used aloe vera because emu oil and rose hip oil helped me alot with both HT's.

eman,

I found I was getting flaking even below my hairline and assumed it was from the minox, as often the liquid runds down your forhead quite a bit. I can't get the foam in Canada, so have to stick with the liquid. For myself I did find the 5% bad, within 12 hours my scalp was almost white with flakes, but thats just me, yours probably is entirely different!!! keep up the good work bro!!!

• 7 years later...

Resurrecting an old hread here .

I'm just over 6 months post op and still experiencing a flakey scalp - nothing major , but just wondering what others have done to help . There is not itching at all , so not overly concerned .

Thought it may have had something to do with using Nizoral shampoo , so stopped that for a while with no change .

If anyone has used Aloe Vera or Emu oil , when is the best time to apply ?

• 1 year later...

Gonna bump this thread rather than creating a new one. I've got a bad case of flaky skin on my forehead right near the hairline and creeping up into the recepient area.

So I've been using Aloe Vera on my forehead, but was hesitant to put any on the recepient 3 weeks post surgery. Would it be ok to use this?