Clippers....how low can you go???

I know its premature to be asking as I'm only a month out. My scar seems to be healing quite nicely and I am wondering how short I might be able to get away with. I would love to hear from you in regards to how short you were able to cut the back with a reasonable concealment of the donor scar. If you have pics and coordinating guard #s for a reference that woudl be a bonus.

I know its premature to be asking as I'm only a month out. My scar seems to be healing quite nicely and I am wondering how short I might be able to get away with. I would love to hear from you in regards to how short you were able to cut the back with a reasonable concealment of the donor scar. If you have pics and coordinating guard #s for a reference that woudl be a bonus.

Brian,

If you are talking about how low you can go without noticing the scar, this is going to depend.

After the scar matures, most patients can get away with shaving down to a 3 or 4 clip without revealing the scar. While it's healing, you may have to wear it longer, especially if you experience donor area shock loss.

Feel free to click on the link below following my journey and the links there to my individual patient albums. You'll see a multitude of donor pictures at various lengths through my surgeries. Not everyone is the same, but at least it may give you an idea.

Best wishes,

Bill

Here is mine at about 1/2" or #1 guard about 8 months out. This was the 1st procedure, I had a 2nd one recently and the scar is a lot longer and will see how it heals. I pray that it heals the same. I can go with about a #2 now and it looks good.

-mick

pic.JPG.a0827c7e22fc7b2da4b10b246dd9012e.JPG

that's pretty darned good mickey. who did your surgery? btw, i have always been able to do a #2/3 no problem...

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Interesting thread guys but I can't see that anyone has made the distinction between the trichophytic closure type scars and the non-tricho scars. Does this make any difference to how low you can buzz?

My understanding of the process was that it was intended to minimise the visibility of the scar.

Imissthebarber,

Yes, a trichophytic closure can make a difference. This technique doesn't eliminate a scar, but simply allows existing hair to grow through it, since one side of the wound overlaps the other with hair follicles underneath. An already pencil thin scar therefore, may be virtually undetectable since some hair is growing through it.

This may allow a patient to cut their hair shorter. How much shorter however, is difficult to say.

Best wishes,

Bill