Review: Dr. Epstein Miami

cafe

Hi,

I had a procedure done with Dr. Epstein in June of last year to fill in receding corners.

I researched all the major groups. Hair Club just wanted me to get my hair washed there every month for the rest of my life and Bosley, despite having the benefit of an in person consultation, would not comment in any way as to the results.

I selected Dr Epstein after his internet consultation looking at my photos. What impressed me is his prompt attention to my emails and questions.

After arriving at the office for the day of the procedure (Despite being a skeptic, i was impressed enough to schedule the procedure and consultation on the same day, sight unseen) it was everything I expected. A very clean professional environment and the staff was extremely considerate.

Dr. Epstein came and spoke with me for about a half hour after i had the chance to look over photos. We talked about my goals (aggressive, I wanted to get back to the 18 year old hairline I used to have)

We talked about the shape of my hairline and he and I bounced Ideas off each other and settled on an idea that took into account his experience and my expectations. This also thoroughly impressed me. At no time did I feel like this was a cookie cutter approach.

Eventually after settling on the shape, he drew it on my skull for the procedure. I entered the procedure room where about 10 people worked on my hairline for a few hours while I blissfully slept. I awoke for the last 45 minutes or so of the procedure. Dr Epstein was close by, either installing the grafts himself or constantly checking the performanch of his staff while checking my appearance from a head on view.

I went home and had a painful evening. I would say to expect this. I did however find out the next day that one of my blood vessels had opened back up so I actually had to have Dr. Epstien open the stitches up and re cauterize a bleeder. Wasn't a big deal.

I saw definite results in 4-6 weeks. By august my new hair was catching the old and by september I was caught up. No one has asked about the procedure, despite having a scar from the left side of my head to the back (I wear my hair short as I am in the military).

When my hair is not styled, I can tell the difference somewhat. The transplant hair is more coarse then the hair around the placement site. This is expected of course. Accordingly, there are also a fewer number of transplanted hairs (fewer but thicker hair).

On one of my corners, the hair blends nearly perfectly with the hair around it. On the other side, it grows at a bit of an angle to the surrounding hair which bugs me a bit. However, this is lessening as styling my hair over time has been slowly correcting the growth trend. I havent had a chance to talk to the doc about this.

Overall, I think its doubtful that I could be more impressed. Dr. Epstien, in my impression is the best surgeon I could have picked. I am a perfectionist, and although my results are not "perfect" as I define it, they are very very close. I definitely have no doubts about having the procedure even though I wasnt sure going into it.

If you can go see Dr. Epstein. Do it. He's at Foundhair.com

Andy

Hi,

I had a procedure done with Dr. Epstein in June of last year to fill in receding corners.

I researched all the major groups. Hair Club just wanted me to get my hair washed there every month for the rest of my life and Bosley, despite having the benefit of an in person consultation, would not comment in any way as to the results.

I selected Dr Epstein after his internet consultation looking at my photos. What impressed me is his prompt attention to my emails and questions.

After arriving at the office for the day of the procedure (Despite being a skeptic, i was impressed enough to schedule the procedure and consultation on the same day, sight unseen) it was everything I expected. A very clean professional environment and the staff was extremely considerate.

Dr. Epstein came and spoke with me for about a half hour after i had the chance to look over photos. We talked about my goals (aggressive, I wanted to get back to the 18 year old hairline I used to have)

We talked about the shape of my hairline and he and I bounced Ideas off each other and settled on an idea that took into account his experience and my expectations. This also thoroughly impressed me. At no time did I feel like this was a cookie cutter approach.

Eventually after settling on the shape, he drew it on my skull for the procedure. I entered the procedure room where about 10 people worked on my hairline for a few hours while I blissfully slept. I awoke for the last 45 minutes or so of the procedure. Dr Epstein was close by, either installing the grafts himself or constantly checking the performanch of his staff while checking my appearance from a head on view.

I went home and had a painful evening. I would say to expect this. I did however find out the next day that one of my blood vessels had opened back up so I actually had to have Dr. Epstien open the stitches up and re cauterize a bleeder. Wasn't a big deal.

I saw definite results in 4-6 weeks. By august my new hair was catching the old and by september I was caught up. No one has asked about the procedure, despite having a scar from the left side of my head to the back (I wear my hair short as I am in the military).

When my hair is not styled, I can tell the difference somewhat. The transplant hair is more coarse then the hair around the placement site. This is expected of course. Accordingly, there are also a fewer number of transplanted hairs (fewer but thicker hair).

On one of my corners, the hair blends nearly perfectly with the hair around it. On the other side, it grows at a bit of an angle to the surrounding hair which bugs me a bit. However, this is lessening as styling my hair over time has been slowly correcting the growth trend. I havent had a chance to talk to the doc about this.

Overall, I think its doubtful that I could be more impressed. Dr. Epstien, in my impression is the best surgeon I could have picked. I am a perfectionist, and although my results are not "perfect" as I define it, they are very very close. I definitely have no doubts about having the procedure even though I wasnt sure going into it.

If you can go see Dr. Epstein. Do it. He's at Foundhair.com

Andy

I had a great experience with Dr. Epstein also. I had my HT last July and am very happy with my results so far. When I recently visited Dr. Epstein's office for a post procedure follow up, he told me I still had 20% more growth coming. No one knows I had this done b/c I did it at just the right time. Dr. Epstein is an artist at achieving a natural hairline.

If I had to do this over again, I would choose Dr. Epstein.

Jerrygarcia,

How many graphs did you receive ??

What was your hairloss like before the work....NW scale ??

Look forward to seeing the pics.

I also just used Dr.E...looking good so far just under 5 months.

MH

Before anyone gets suspicious....

I have been talking with Dr. Epstein privately and he's been doing a lot of follow ups recently with many of his patients. It is quite possible that he encouraged these patients to come online and share their experiences - this is a good thing as it helps us look for consistency in results.

I have confirmed with certainty that "jerrygarcialives" and "cafe" are not the same person.

I do hope however, that these two new members and Dr. Epstein patients will create a hair loss weblog and then link it back to their forum signature so we can see their results. Instructions on doing this can be found by clicking here.

Best wishes,

Bill

Glad you posted that Bill.

The docs been pinned to the wall recently.

Now if patients that are happy with Dr.E come forward....It's a SET-UP !!!

Not sure if the doc is reaching out to patients

but I would if i were him.

Many of the Docs show there BEST stuff on here daily...what's the difference.

I'm a Dr.E patient...would love to see pics.

IT'S A SET-UP...IT'S A SET-UP....LOL

MH

Djdennis,

I agree with you.

Don't want you to mis-understand my last post.

I think Epstein SHOULD be showing more of his work.

I like you,even though it's early,am thrilled with my growth.

If Epstein doesn't stand up and defend his work...with or without pics....some will say "where is he ?...doesn't he care?"

But if he gets involved and patients step forward....the same few people try to shoot him down for that.

Glad your doing well Dennis.

Even though you don't like the Yanks...I still want your hair to sprout like a sonofabitch....lol.

MH

This is the day of procedure. Sorry it's a little blurry. I kept my hair long for the procedure so it wouldn't be so obvious. Only my wife knows I had a HT. I had 1700 grafts done. I wanted to get head start on my hair loss and wanted to do something right away before it was noticeable that I had something done.

leftprofile.JPG.098ad96e525bd9d51fdd2c4c8f2c8dd4.JPG

Here I am today, 9 months post op. Hair still on the long side. I also started taking propecia after the HT. I take it EOD.

Had I not done the HT, I would be in very bad shape by now. I started noticing an acceleration of hair loss in the frontal area leading up to the date of the HT. I am not a cosmetic surgery kind of guy, or a vain guy for that matter, but the hair loss really started to frustrate me. My wife convinced me to do something about it.

close_up5.JPG.ed7323181cc887d2166827d5e13d304c.JPG

mh I would like to see Dr E HAVE MORE NEW PICS ALSO, DO YOU HAVE PICS? I WAS A LITTLE UPSET THAT THE YANKS BEAT US LAST NIGHT. BUT IF YOU ARE WATCHING THE GAME WE ARE ON TOP WITH SO FAR A SHUTOUT LOL. I GUESS THERE IS ONE OK YANKS FAN OUT THERE. ONLY THE YANKS FANS WHO ARE LOOSING THERE HAIR WILL I STAND BEHIND. IM NOT ROUTIN FOR THE YANKS BUT IM ROUTIN FOR YOUR SHAG TO HIT THE FLOOR

I have no problem whatsoever with new or old posters raving about their Doc, but, as has been mentioned you really need to be prepared to follow up with before/afters and progression pics if you want to be taken seriously.

jerrygarcialives - I'm glad you took the time to post what you have but if you can't post pre-op/post-op pics it really does no good. In order to evaluate the results, it's very important to have pics of exactly what was done. I'm not trying to be critical of you in particular, just wanting posters to know how important it is to properly document progress.

Peace -

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

hairbank:

The first pic I posted was the day of the procedure. It was taken in Epstein's office. The subsequent pics were taken today--nine months later.

I didn't document my progress by taking pictures monthly. Do I have more hair now than I did back in July--absolutely. I was looking at pictures of me back in 2000, and I'm pretty much back to the hairline I had then, if not better.

Hairbank.

I agree.

As I mentioned I'm 4 1/2 months post-op.

I plan at around 8 months to post my pre-op pics and then 2/4/6/8 months pics.

Just the way I want to do it.

I also agree we need good pictures to see the real difference.

Dennis,

Thanks for the kind words.

Man It would be nice to have alot of hair up there again.

About the Red Sox...I have zero problem with the team..it's some of the fans that drive me nuts.

But I'm sure you feel the same way.

I'm a die hard Yankee fan but also a fan of the SPORT.

Some clowns really take it too far and act like idiots...on both sides.

Kind've funny to watch the players from both teams talking,laughing and being friends....pre game

On the other hand the fans are fighting in the street and acting like clowns.

People should put down their beer a little earlier in the day and act like men.

Guess it's a dying art form.

Pretty funny...the guys with the beer muscles are always the ones to hide under a desk or hit the floor first.

Best of luck my friend.

Hope to buying a brush and gallons of shampoo in a year.

MH

Originally posted by jerrygarcialives:

hairbank:

The first pic I posted was the day of the procedure. It was taken in Epstein's office. The subsequent pics were taken today--nine months later.

I know you were trying to post it to help....but it's so blurry you can't see any grafts at all. Again, nothing against your attempt, just wanting to point out how important it is to document for reference later. Especially if you want to show anyone the quality work you received! icon_smile.gif

Peace -

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

jerry,

Thanks for posting pictures however, the before picture is quite blurry and it's not really possible to make any determination of your result when comparing them. If you have better before pictures and additional angles of the after pictures (such as a picture from the top of the head or a 90% tilt of the hairline), this would be helpful.

I am however, glad you are happy with your results.

Bill

Thanks guys. Yes, it's blurry. That's what happens when you drop your digital camera too many times. I have a new one now, which is why the after shots are so nice. They took pics at Epstein's office the day of. If I can get those emailed to me, I can post so you can see the grafts in better details.