anybody like the receding hairline?

Maybe this is a wrong question to ask, but does anybody like the receding hairline? I mean like a NW3-4ish with a shaved or a buzzed head does look good.

Also, when you have a receding hairline how does the doc know where to start/stop placing grafts in the sides of the hairline. This is because if the grafts are placed too front then the recession might continue & look weird. Basically, if the recession continues till the back of the head how does the doc make sure to avoid making it look weird?

Maybe this is a wrong question to ask, but does anybody like the receding hairline? I mean like a NW3-4ish with a shaved or a buzzed head does look good.

Also, when you have a receding hairline how does the doc know where to start/stop placing grafts in the sides of the hairline. This is because if the grafts are placed too front then the recession might continue & look weird. Basically, if the recession continues till the back of the head how does the doc make sure to avoid making it look weird?

Not sure I understand your question.

The doc places the graphs so no matter your future hairloss...the "new" hair looks natural and in a normal pattern.

The"new" hair will never be lost so future loss will not look strange.

MH

whymewhy,

Hair transplantation is not just a clinical science, but an art. Creating a natural and cosmetically pleasing hairline is extremely important to the overall process. Additionally, physicians will work with the patient to create a hairline that the patient is satisfied with.

Future hair loss also needs to be considered which is why planning for the long term in hair replacement surgery is important. A patient may need more than one procedure to accomplish their goals or in the event of future baldness. Hair loss treatment options such as Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil) may help prevent additional balding so typically these medications are recommended to help prevent future baldness.

Creating a "mature" hair line that is slightly receeded can be cosmetically pleasing. Many women also find it to be a sign of maturity, yet are still happy that the man has hair.

Bill

Thanks for the explanation. I always expected people to have 1 session & be done with it. After looking at a few photo blogs I understood that if your a NW4,5,6 then doctor's handle you with a dual session approach.

So, the general tendency is to get a session for the frontal portion & then go back again for the mid/vertex region? Why cant you finish it off at once? Is it due to the poor donor area or lack of donor hair?

not quite sure I understand your initial question whymewhy.

I have a receding hairline, about a NW4v or so. I actually just shaved my head (yesterday) for the first time. It has been eye opening, that is for sure. Not sure that I really like it but have had some positive feedback up to this point. My girlfriend really likes it, but again I am not sure I really like it.

I think some can look good with the shaved look. Still don't think I do, but had to before I have my HT.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Originally posted by whymewhy:

So, the general tendency is to get a session for the frontal portion & then go back again for the mid/vertex region? Why cant you finish it off at once? Is it due to the poor donor area or lack of donor hair?

Not necessarily. It totally depends on the individual/situation and the Doc.

Many have chosen to start HT's only being NW3 or 4, with a good bit of native hair remaining, so, they initially need less grafts in order to plan for the future and see how their loss progresses. Others who hit NW5-6 early on, or at any age for that matter, are free to go for the gusto. Actually, I think I've heard of over 7700 grafts harvested in one session by Dr. Hasson........maybe this is old news but the biggest session I've heard of.

Yes, the larger sessions will depend heavily on a patients hair characteristics with respect to donor density and scalp laxity.

I started HT's at age 38 with an already established balding pattern, was a NW 5 heavily diffused, but still had enough native hair in the frontal 1/3 I would have approached it in two sessions rather than one. I ended up in the chair 1st HT with a decent Doc, he just wasn't staffed to do more than 1200 grafts so it was somewhat of a waste. My 2nd surgery with Dr. Wong almost yielded 4000 grafts and I'll be going in for my 3rd and hopefully final surgery to finish it off very soon.

Hope this helps\!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Btw, Hairbank, on the subject of session sizing, unless I'm badly mistaken, Jotronic mentioned that someone had well over 8k in a single session a few months back, though the case was never presented to a forum...pretty insane, eh? icon_smile.gif

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Bill,

He mentioned that a guy (I also remember him saying he was middle-eastern, but could be mistaken on that) who had received north of 8k....I don't remember if he stated if it was 8400, 8500, etc., but I def recall that it was clearly over 8k....this was 2-3months ago, if I had to guess, and was a Hasson patient. Didn't get any more details as I was speachless!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I would think that it would depend on how much you hairline was receded. Mine is receded and i have no plans as of now to have that area grafted. IMO it's far less important to have a great hairline but thin all over ,than to leave the hairline as is and go for a fuller look over all

I would think that it would depend on how much you hairline was receded. Mine is receded and i have no plans as of now to have that area grafted. IMO it's far less important to have a great hairline but thin all over ,than to leave the hairline as is and go for a fuller look over all

I guess this is all a matter of personal preference. I actually would prefer a strong hairline with a thinning crown than have thick hair everywhere and a high hairline. This is because of the cosmetic effect of the hairline framing the face. Also, concealers work best in the crown.

I agree with NW4 but finding the right balance is key. By edging up the hairline just a cm can save 1200 grafts in some cases and this allows the person to get an ideal hairline that frames the face and some added density.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

thanks for the responses guys! I like the receded look because when I buzz my hair it kinda looks good. My hairline is like NW2ish with diffuse thinning behind.

Man! all you guys have had amazing HT surgeries. Wish I can get the same icon_smile.gif

8000 grafts!! wouldn't his back side be bald after the surgery? icon_biggrin.gif