Hair Club claims "Hair in 4 Weeks" !!!

I caught a Hair Club's commercial on TV. I couldn't believe it. They are claiming you can have hair in only 4 weeks. They show a "after" patient with a full thick head of hair yet in his "before" shot he is almost completely bald. The guys smiling ear to ear while some hot young chick is crawling all over him. What a set of balls on these guys. I mean who falls for this crap. That much hair in 4 weeks. Hell if thats true than Dr. Epstein has some serious explaining to do (LOL). I'm coming up on three months and I have only some small growth at best. And to be honest, I'm happy I got that!!

It's really too bad they are able to make these claims. Yes, it's a rug...........I've seen some that look so bad, even one on a guy I do a little business with...........looks like a squirrel crawled up on the noggin and died. Terrible and I imagine noticable to more than just us balding (or formerly balding) types. icon_smile.gif

I've seem some of the commercial's that do make the rugs look pretty good. I believe even the best appear like rugs due to the limited hairstyles that all appear to look the same........too perfect.....too thick in the front..........if I wore one I think I'd be freaking out thinking everyone knew.

The only one I've seen that appears to look undetectable all the time is William Shatners................gotta admit it looks good but I'm sure he pays a pretty penny to keep it that way. icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hi all

We shouldn't be surprised. This type of marketing is used in all industries.. I would argue that Captain Kirks rug is undetectable. I have really yet to see any extensive hairsystem to look flawless, unless it is just to cover a small area (the crown). I know if it was undetectable I would not see it but come on guys. These things look so oobvious.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

rjvw,

Hair Club for Men = Hairpiece = Wig = Toupe = Rug = heavy maintenance

Hair club will call it something more technical...but it is still a rug, no matter how natural it looks, which means maintenance. This brings in the whole debate of whether or not a wig is worth it, etc...I won't bring up that debate here. Truly some are satisfied with their hairpiece (wig) and more power to them. So it's definitely an avenue one can explore...heck, maybe even before an HT...you can always get an HT later. For me personally, the idea and concept of a hairpiece (no matter how natural it looks) isn't viable to me...not to mention I simply don't like it. The idea of maintenance and worrying all the time whether it looks natural...not for me.

Bill

Yeah,

but we still know it's a rug which contridicts th whole point. I would admit, it does look ok sometimes but i'm sure ESPN picks up the tab

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Today's wigs can look OUTSTANDING!!!! However, keeping them that way is what appears to be the big challenge...and expensive (not that HTs are cheap).

I heard someone on the forums say something like and this is not an exact quote, but I think it hit the nail on the head:

"Walking out with a new wig is like driving a new car out of the showroom. It looks BEAUTIFUL! But, drive through a few puddles, some dirt, and general wear and tear of being exposed to the air, the car isn't nearly as impressive...same goes with a wig. Keeping it looking natural and beautiful is a huge challenge, and even then, it still doesn't look like walking out with a new one."

I believe this guy finally gave up the wig because he was tired of the maintenance nightmare....not to mention you have to replace it every so often.

Bill

To me, the worst thing about wearing a wig would have to be the constant worry about someone finding out about it. What do you do when, say, a girl tugs on it and it *moves* or comes off?

I suppose the things work for some people, but they're just too restrictive with respect to even daily activities to have ever been an option for me.

I caught this commercial while I was working out. I pulled my headphones off and heard them talk about "your own hair in 4 weeks". I put my head phones back on and back to working out. It was only a normal one or two minute commercial not they're 1/2 hour infomercial. So I did think it was a HT commercial but either way it's still a bunch of crap. Why would someone want something fake on their head when you can have your own hair. Just for curiosity sake how much does one of these things cost?

I was watching this commercial too with my mouth open. What's with the "your OWN hair" bit if it's a hair system? I've heard that they are also getting into surgery because I just hired a tech who was first hired by them, but decided not to take the job because it meant she would have to travel 90% of the time.

Hi

Yes, but concealers like dermatch are so damn good that it is very difficult for people to find out you are using it.. I've been using it for over 5 years and never had any problems.. BUT I have exisitng hair and make sure I am thorough in cleaning up.. Hair systems are such more of a "risk".. You have to always get them adjusted, cut , etc. & the hair is so much more significant you have to dodge comments like "your hair is so nice and thick".. With concealers, you can get the look of fullness to a certain extent.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by rjvw:

"your own hair in 4 weeks".

This IS a true statement. You paid for it-so technically, it is your own hair...and expect it to take about 4 weeks for delivery.

Been there, got the t-shirt--gave it back.

icon_smile.gif

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Are you serious Glock? That's what they mean by that?

Honestly, the ad should be yanked. I've yet to understand how Hairclub and The Bosely group can make such outlandish claims on national tv ads. Come on you lawyers out there, isn't there anything we as consumers do to pull the ads?

Hi

if the lawyers can do that then should yank all of the Avocor,Procerin,& She min ( etc.) claims with them.. What a bunch of garbage

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Unfortunately there is a lot of legal latitude in this area. If you have any hair at all that can be integrated (woven or pulled) into the "system", you now have a solution that utilizes your own hair. Technically, you could have "hair in a day".

I saw the new ad yesterday. Felt badly for one of the men with graying hair. His final product looked like someone had tacked a muskrat pelt on top of his head.

Just a question of curiosity, are these things left in place for several weeks and does this not create a hygiene issue for the scalp?

Originally posted by Janna:

Are you serious Glock? That's what they mean by that?

Honestly, the ad should be yanked. I've yet to understand how Hairclub and The Bosely group can make such outlandish claims on national tv ads. Come on you lawyers out there, isn't there anything we as consumers do to pull the ads?

I feel exactly the same way, Janna. Hey, B spot, c'mon brah, get that legal mind working on this icon_cool.gif!

Unfortunately, our legal system protects companies such as this far more than it should. Glock's statement about it being "your own hair because you paid for it" would probably legalize the commercial because in the truest sense, yes, when you pay for it, it now becomes "your own hair". This sucks big time but they're not the first to have slick marketers to think up these covert marketing ideas. Oye! icon_mad.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks hairbank and bayer. I guess I can only shake my head and shout out loud if anyone else is watching that it's just bunch of "doo doo" (see what they've reduced me to saying?).

Bayer, the "systems" are on for several weeks, you go in for a wash and trim that costs a fortune every 3 to 4 weeks. And, yes it does stink.

You know, people also need to take responsibility for their actions as well. They need to be well informed today due to the marketing sharks out there.. Let's face it, people are adults and can make decesions for themselves.. whether or not they are the right ones is yet to be determined

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hairbanks, its called the First Amendment to the Constitution, prohibiting the government from limiting free speech. Yes there is a truth in advertising law, but it becomes a very slippery slope to allow the government to start regulating advertising to any great extent, imho. This is basically a buyer be ware society.

Hairbanks, its called the First Amendment to the Constitution, prohibiting the government from limiting free speech.

Free speech shouldn't include deceit IMO...but I also agree that government control probably isn't the best thing either. So yes...I think like anything else...the buyer needs to be aware. That's why forums like this and other resources full of true informatin is so valuable. I just wish people MORE people would think and research before they buy.

Bill