When can I wear baseball cap post op?

vanitysucks,

Firstly, "grafts" not "graphs".

I want to wear it 6-8 hours a day at work during the week to hide the area until the evidence of surgery fades.

You can start to wear a baseball cap after the staples have come out.

But I wouldn't advise wearing a cap for such a long period of time (perspiration etc.)

Unless, of course, you work in the sun, in which case you should use a bandana, or loose fitting cap.

Don't worry, most people wouldn't notice or care about your recent transplant. icon_smile.gif

take care...

I recommend you at least wait 24-48 hours before wearing baseball cap. You want to make sure that there is no oozing from the grafts that could potentially stick to the inside of the hat when you take it off. You should use a clean adjustable hat and attempt to put the front on first and the back of hat last. How many hours a day you wear it does not really matter. I do agree that you should wear the hat if you are going to be exposed to the sun.

Originally posted by Dr. Glenn M. Charles:

I recommend you at least wait 24-48 hours before wearing baseball cap. You want to make sure that there is no oozing from the grafts that could potentially stick to the inside of the hat when you take it off. You should use a clean adjustable hat and attempt to put the front on first and the back of hat last. How many hours a day you wear it does not really matter. I do agree that you should wear the hat if you are going to be exposed to the sun.

If you wear a cap right after the procedure, and a few grafts are pulled out, can the rest be OK?

Get the right kind of hat. You want a structured hat with a high profile not one of those floppy ones. The structured hat is like a dome over your head & never touches your scalp.

I worked outside in heat with no problems for 3 months.

hat2.gif.7a16d3109a9a0880a60236a46b3d3d38.gif

Dr Charles is right on--- waiting a day or so is probably better.

You need to make sure any hat you use is BRAND NEW.

It needs to be loosely fitted as well.

When you put it on, put the hat on your forehead first, then tip it back so it settles down over your head without contacting the hairline or transplanted areas.

I bought a hat with a velcro adjustment so I could put it on, then tighten it to fit.

Good Luck!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.