My photos

Foreigner

Foreigner,

You look wonderful.. it was wise to have chosen a bit higher hairline.. how many grafts and was it only in the "frontal scalp" or "mid scalp" too ??

Good Luck ! icon_smile.gif

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified medical professional nor do i work for any doctor, hence these are my personal and honest views. Hopefully I will benefit someone as I had benefitted from this awesome forum.

My HT blog - 2600 - Dr. Feller: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/blog/68/

photo album: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/albums/135

I've been involved in HT for over a decade and seen many different procedures including scalp reductions and NONE have every turned out good-- some OK but none good. I'm impressed with your results because you got more reduction from one surgery than most do and your scar is healing great--most have wide noticable scars-- yours looks pretty good. The only thing I noticed was the scar proceeded down the back middle than most but your FU HT took care of that. However, looking at your photos, I might debate over the quality of your donor hair (your scalp reduction will give you less area to cover with FU) but you look like you have a great donor area over the "sides"? A couple of "angluar strip exections" would yield thousands of FU--- looking at your pics? Yes your mid back is a little limited so if you have future HT for fill in of the top and the hairline, I dont think your have a problem with your "side" donor areas. Good luck and Your the only execption I've seen over all these years with reductions-- CONGRATS.

I have to agree with Smoothy: I am a HUGE skeptic on scalp reductions because I've seen a lot of damned awful ones. But for you, man, it worked.

You look MUCH better. Congratulations. The ends justify the means.

And joto is right too, at 4 months, the party is just starting for you. You'll see increased growth and hair density for many more months to come. Kewl.

Congrats again and happy regrowth.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

I have been following your case with interest and am glad to see such positive results. Clearly the message we should be taking from your photos is that there is NO ONE RIGHT WAY to address hair loss. Each individual is different, and customizing the treatment plan will likely yield the best results.

As someone who had a scalp reduction in the late 80's, I am relatively fortunate that I, too, have a very thin scar from the procedure. However, the extent of my subsequent hair loss makes even my thin scar impossible to conceal. Also, I would argue that I had stretchback anyway, so it was all for naught.

I join the others here who are confident in your continued improvement over the next several months, and again, congratulations.

• 4 months later...

Here are back and side shots of the 9 month.

Thanks for all the good words. Yes dr. Epstein is great. He did an outstanding job and I'm very happy with the results as you can see from the pictures.

Good luck to all of you!

BackShot.JPG.a89eae76d5cf80880cf147c78743c05e.JPG

• 6 months later...

I wonder if Foreigner even stops by this board anymore. I've read that after people are finished with their HTs, they stop coming because being bald isn't something they think about anymore.

That is one hell of a transformation. Looking at his first before pictures, his hair didn't look that dense to me. But damn, it grows out good.

Hairboy,

It happens quite a lot. It seems that most people move on with their lives. It is very difficult to not to be extremely happy for them, though. I do wish that some would stop by and post "finished" results like Foreigner did. It gives everyone else inspiration!

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Scalp reductions in general, should be avoided except in certain cases. In this case, it looks like the patient had dense donor in back and on the side and probably good laxity. His result are one of the best I've seen with a scalp reduction. I'm wondering if the "balloon" technique is still used? That is when a balloon of saline is placed under the bald scalp that is to be reduced, then the balloon is slowly filled up and stretches the skin/bald area over a span of 3-4 weeks. Then the patient on the day of surgery has the ballon removed, thus allowing for a better scalp reduction. This was common in the 1980's when scalp reductions were more common, but I wonder if they still use this technique?