Bayer Pics

Bayer

Here are pics related to my first post of yesterday. Sorry that I don't have an immediate post-op pics.

I didn't realize how bad the shock loss was until I looked at the pre-op picture. I have been hiding under a hat or just plain hiding for 2 months. Going non-hat requires a 45 minute make up session which makes me into a bald guy instead of a bald guy with a red head. Toppik is not the answer - it requires some hair to that the fibers can attach. As mentioned before, I had no shock loss with prior procedures, so at least I had hair. How do you explain to people that you have hair one month and none the next?

I may be overreacting, but seeing the pre-op pics has really put me in a tailspin.

3 Month Update

The recipient area is somewhat encouraging. It looks like there is some growth - whether this is shocked native hair, shocked previously transplanted hair, or recently transplanted hair - but it does look less shiny. The redness is still annoying as I continue with regular applications of the aloe gel.

The jury is still out on the donor area - not much change in the last 30 days. The scar seems to have faded somewhat and there appears to be some minor growth in the shocked area. The doctor said that growth hear will not likely start till month 4, so you know where my panic point is.

4 Month Update

After aloe vera gel, valisone and time, the redness in the recipient area has been greatly diminished. There has been growth (good thing because of the shock loss) and I can only hope that there is more to come.

The donor area does not appear to be a concern any longer. I had a hard time exposing the area for the picture due to the significant number of short hairs in the area.

Overall this has been an encouraging month. I do hope that the recipient area will continue to thicken over the next few months.

The updated pictures are titled "4 Month" and may take some effort to find due the random placing of the new system.

Hoping for growth!

7 Month Update

I haven't posted pics for a couple of months (thanks to a job change and a pending move), but I must say that I am really pleased with the progress.

The donor area shock loss as grown in very nicely and is no longer an issue.

The new growth in the front has been pleasantly dense. The color has been darker than my previous frontal hair and I have used highlights to lessen the effect.

The beginning was truly scary (excessive scabbing) but the progress to date has been worth the trauma. I do realize that future crown work may be required due to the shape of the recipient area, but I will deal with this when the time comes, knowing that I have a great source of information when the time is right.

I can't help but feel that I have dodged bullets with two Bosley surgeries and a procedure at the Seager clinic after Dr Seager's passing. Even after 7 months, I am still hoping to get more hair out of this!

Bayer

8051038733_BAFAA68D4670CF751784865E3C21B053.JPG.thumb 7121053223_0DEB8339A6B34BB6FFB7B327FE67F1E8.JPG.thumb 6711053223_8E1949D8D193051EB653432DF3247792.JPG.thumb 6641038733_5C6724EDF6DBC705589DB9F8E81DD046.JPG.thumb 5371076013_7BCE9D579C7E42FF2D1E8714A634B60E.JPG.thumb 5251094013_941B4EC447543D0AB0B0A2FDB894C649.JPG.thumb 4251094013_99E9A9459025B7B5CB6D45DCD901210F.JPG.thumb 3561076013_462A53AD5FF6C6328CBF7C3D913E3C3D.jpg.thumb 3251094013_1ADDD651E13BB580F3E4E7B7D47A5457.JPG.thumb 2251094013_E37CB6288558BEA09C7A6C94628C7091.JPG.thumb 1591091613_04EC5E54C94FE91EDC60640E95B7713C.JPG.thumb 1091091613_41917F77C0ACF5280C78651967C6C7E1.JPG.thumb

Hello Bayer,

Thanks for posting your pictures. I have to tell you I'm a little surprised at the level of redness and what appear to be scabs at the 24 day point. Also, at the 48 day point. Redness is common but scabs at that time are quite unusual.

3500 grafts is a lot of grafts for a relatively small area, so I can understand that you would get quite a bit of shock loss.

Do you have any post op pics (like one or two days)?

Thanks

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Sorry, days it is.

Wasn't concerned immediately post-op, so I neglected to take pics.

Emailed the doc late today to see if he will send me his.

Don't know if have existing hair in the area made it harder for the scabs to release - a lot of them seemed snarled in my hair. One thing that finally helped was reading info from Rassman or Bernstein (can't remember which) saying to wear a shower cap to bed over wet hair.

Bayer,

Thanks for posting your pics. As everyone else said, I was surprised too seeing your 21 and 48 DAY pictures and the number of scabs that were still present. Did your doctor not give you adequate post op instructions? If you were working the scabs by massaging the scalp with your fingertips the way you are supposed to starting around day 5 or 6, the scabs would have been gone close to day 10, latest day 14 or so. Everyone is different, however, it's extremely unusual to have scabs that far out from surgery UNLESS you were too cautious. This MIGHT have something to do with the level of shockloss you've acquired, but check with your doctor to see what he thinks.

THAT being said...I don't believe you have anything to worry about long term. Shockloss sucks, but it's temporary and your hair will come back....not to mention all the new hair in 6-8 months (12 month maturation).

Regarding how to explain the shockloss (having hair, then you don't)...I have found that most people don't ask. But if they do, well, you can tell them whatever you want...not sure what I would have said...maybe just that I lost more hair since the last time they saw me. Or you could shave your head and people probably won't notice since they'll assume the lack of hair is because of shaving your head. It's really up to you.

But...the REAL question is...what do you tell people when you go from being bald to having a mop on your head icon_wink.gif. But isn't that a problem worth having?

Bill

Another way to get rid of stubborn scabs is to place a little neosporin on them at night and in the morning they'll be extremely soft. They'll come off with your morning shampoo.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Hi

Same comment as above..These cannot be the proper timelines. I am at 2 weeks post op with 2124 and I have no more scabs and very little pinkness. I realize people heal differently but this seems just way to long?

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Bayer,

I'll echo what the others have said.............just move forward and try to get the scabs off as best you can.

My shocked hair from HT #2 started coming back just over the 2 month mark...........everyone differs.

I may have missed an earlier post but who did your surgery?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hairbank- Bayer went to Dr. McKenzie ("Seager passed away, but I went with his successor, Mark McKenzie")

Bayer-

I am a little shocked by your pictures and hope that you have received an adequate response from the doctor. Can you tell us what he said? Like Bill asked, What were your post op instructions?

Your two month pic looks similar to what most other's pics that I have seen look after two weeks. I would hide too. I feel bad for you, but it looks like you have made it to a point where you don't need to hide any longer.

I am happy that you are here and you will receive plenty of support from the members here. Let us know what the doctor said as we are all a little curious.

Keep your head up and happy growing!!

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Well---- I can only assume the larger the incision, the longer it takes for the scabs to fall off.

(more blood forms on the scalp and forms a "crust" that seems to take a long time to come off)

However, until we see some immediate post-op pics that is just conjecture.

Hopefully we can see the post op pics taken by Dr. McKenzie.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks to all for the input. This is greatly appreciated.

I have had extensive instructions from Dr. McKenzie. Also, Dr. McKenzie has been very accessible and responsive. He did suggest increasing the rubbing and to use neosporin (thanks Gorpy) and has been very timely in reviewing my pictures. He has commented that while my situation is a bit unusual, he has recommended to "stay the course".

I did the "washing through the facecloth" until day 10 and as a result there was no real rubbing until then. Also, per Bill's note, I think that I may have been a bit timid with the rubbing - visions of my grafts going down the drain.

I will post the immediate post-op pic as soon as I have it. I will also post a pic of the donor area shock loss.

Thanks again.

Your scalp seems to have undergone excessive trauma.

The blood and subsequent scabbing is excessive.

I can't tell, but it almost seems you have some infected spots on your scalp? (I can't really see, just a guess)

Please continue to just use the neosporin, but I would not be real aggressive with the scabs just yet.... there is a reason they have not fallen off as of yet.

The shockloss in the donor region is excessive, but will grow back in time, and should not be a worry at this time.

Anyway, I will let others look at your pics and chime in as to their opinion of the scalp immediately post-op.

I wish you speedy healing my brother,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

Bayer,

Welcome to our community and thanks for taking the time to present your experience and photos.

I do think you are right to be concerned about the extreme amount of post op trauma, scabbing and fallout you have experienced. Your surgery and post op healing are a long way away from what we typically see from leading clinics who are performing minimally invasive Ultra Refined Follicular Unit grafting.

I also don't like the pattern of the incisions, which seem to have no transition into the midscalp region. The gap in your donor area is also excessive.

Your results do not look at all like the relatively refined work that was coming out of the Seager clinic prior to his death a few months ago. I would have expected that since the Seager clinic used the "stick and place" method in which the techs create the incision and then immediatly place the graft that the clinic's results would be continue to be world class even under the direction of a new physician.

But this does not appear to be the case with Dr. McKenzie now at the helm. It would be a real shame to see the Seager clinic go from one time leader in follicular unit dense packing to producing excessive scalp trauma and scabbing.

Frankly I'm glad that I didn't automatically continue the recommendation for the Seager clinic when it was handed over to Dr. McKenzie. I hope that your situation is not typical of the work now being done at the Seager clinic.

However, at this point, as Dr. McKenzie told you, you have no choice but to stay the course and hope for good growth.

I know that all of us will be wishing you the best for great growth, despite your tough first few weeks.

Please keep us all posted on how things develop for you. It may be that in the long run you get a bumper crop of excellent new hair. I know that is what we would all like to see.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

this doctor should be shot--or at least not be llowed in surgery. Sadly you can't do much, just hope that damage is limited.

3561076013_462A53AD5FF6C6328CBF7C3D913E3C3D.jpg

Originally posted by Bayer:

Here are pics related to my first post of yesterday. Sorry that I don't have an immediate post-op pics.

I didn't realize how bad the shock loss was until I looked at the pre-op picture. I have been hiding under a hat or just plain hiding for 2 months. Going non-hat requires a 45 minute make up session which makes me into a bald guy instead of a bald guy with a red head. Toppik is not the answer - it requires some hair to that the fibers can attach. As mentioned before, I had no shock loss with prior procedures, so at least I had hair. How do you explain to people that you have hair one month and none the next?

I may be overreacting, but seeing the pre-op pics has really put me in a tailspin.

Thanks for the comments.

Looking around at many of the other post-op pics, all of them seem so clean compared to mine! The "stick and place" method was employed, so I am at a loss as to why this was so bloody.

Putting aside the gore, does the day 63 picture look normal? I can look past the early mess as long as things are on track for the long term.

Bayer (Bloodied But Not Bowed)

Bayer,

I just saw your immediately post op picture. I have to agree with Pat. I don't really like the pattern of the grafts placed since it doesn't extend into the mid section...unless of course you have plans for subsequent procedures. Maybe this was your choice, so I don't want to assume.

I don't think the blood immediately post op is a problem...however, this could be indicative of larger incisions being made...or maybe you are just a bleeder?

It is difficult to tell honestly...but it seriously doe not look like 3500 grafts (is that a right number? I didn't see anywhere you posted that, but I think someone else commented and mentioned you had that many grafts), nor does it look that densely packed (hence Pat's comment about the use of ultra refined follicular unit transplantation). If you look at my immediately post op surgery from surgery 3, you'll see grafts placed all over my head (seemingly with more density) and I had 3701 grafts.

I'd say your day 63 picture looks more normal...but it's a bit blurry and hard to tell. It looks like there may be some pitting...but I can't tell. I do see it's still pretty pink...but that could definitely be normal...everyone heals differently.

I am concerned about your donor pictures...how many days/weeks/months post op did you take that picture? It looks like you had extreme shockloss in that area as well. At day 63, however, shockloss can be very normal for some...so give it time and see what happens.

I don't think there is reason to be OVERLY alarmed yet...all you can really do is wait it out and see how it grows. PLEASE keep us posted though...and if there is anything we can do for you, let us know.

Bill

For comparison...this is an immediately post op (maybe 1 day post op) shot from LaGrange (another member of this forum) who recieved approximately 3600 grafts with Dr. Hasson. There certainly are scabs which is normal...however look at the difference in density and placement. There seems to be a significant number of grafts difference between yours and his surgery. Plus this is what Pat and I mentioned about how yours stops suddenly and doesn't extend and fade into the mid section of the scalp...whereas LaGrange does.

4141010113_immediatelypostop.jpg?ts=46171600&key=3A8394136852C0209E93C068607A62F1&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fhair-restoration-info.com%2Feve%2Fforums%2Fa%2Fga%2Ful%2F5141010113%2Fimmediatelypostop.jpg

immediatelypostop.jpg

Please understand I'm not trying to make you feel bad by posting these pictures...I'm only trying to help you be realistic and see what other people are getting. The good news is, if things don't work out here, you can always go for another one if your donor allows for it. But let's hope for the best and see what happens.

Bill

Hi all

Yes, I would be calling the doc as well. I do think ( well know) many times patients are too "ginger" with post op care.. We are afraid to even touch the grafts or donot area which is essentia for proper post op healing ( this may not be the cause of Bayer's issue). In my 2nd HT, I was not aggressive enough in cleaning the donor area which resulted in some small scarring points on the site. Dr. True removed this during my third and instructed me to make sure I was aware of this for my next post op care.

What a difference this time! i made sure to clean the donor area with more pressure and paid specific attention to the NO SCAB rule. I'm healing twice as fast and the incision is super clean !

NEWBIES PLEASE TAKE NOTE & learn from my incompetence!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Thanks for to all for the information.

Bill, I fully understand that you are not trying to make me feel bad. I am here to hear the truth and provide the truth. Your, advice and comments, along with that of others, is greatly appreciated.

The donor area pics were taken 2 days ago. The doctor said to allow for 4 months to see any growth in this area. He said that all hair, including hair about to break the surface was shocked, and will need the full growth cycle to regenerate.

Cheers

Bayer

• 4 weeks later...

Bayer,

Maybe it's just the lighting, but I DO see some improvement in the donor area. Looks like some of the shocked hairs MAY be coming back. Compare the two pictures you have posted and you'll see what I mean. Is the picture reflective of reality?

Some improvement in the recipient area. It still looks very inflamed and irritated. Has the doctor prescribed you anything for it at this point? At 3 months post op, I'd expect to see better improvement in that area. But for what it's worth, it does seem like it has improved since your last update...but very little.

I do hope things work out for you...3 months is early...give it at least 12 months before you consider your transplant a success or failure.

Thanks for the update bro.

Bill