reversing hair transplant

mr invisible

hi, i know this question may seem weird but is there anyway to stop the transplanted hair from growing? Again i know this sounds weird but im about a month and a half post op and i feel as if i made a wrong decision. I had 500 grafts implanted in my temple region on july 5. I feel as if i made the wrong decision becuase after 4 years of hiding my hairloss and being ashamed of who i am i finally just cant take it anymore. I dont want to hide secrets anymore, i feel now that i have had this procedure im going to have to keep it a secret for the rest of my life and secretly take preopecia with out telling anyone. The reason i keep it a secret and have hid the fact that i have a receding hairline is because my hairline started to recede when i was 17 and i became very self conscience. Now i feel as if it was the wrong move to have this procedure done becuase even if it does come out looking great im always going to have that dark secret that i had a hair transplant at the age 21. Im also going to always have to depend on propecia taking it everyday or else my ahirline will recede past the implants and i will look like a freak. Therefor i inquire to know if there is anything i can do to stop the hair before they come in, if indeed so i will shave my head, discontinue the use of propecia and move on with my life. thank you for your help

hi, i know this question may seem weird but is there anyway to stop the transplanted hair from growing? Again i know this sounds weird but im about a month and a half post op and i feel as if i made a wrong decision. I had 500 grafts implanted in my temple region on july 5. I feel as if i made the wrong decision becuase after 4 years of hiding my hairloss and being ashamed of who i am i finally just cant take it anymore. I dont want to hide secrets anymore, i feel now that i have had this procedure im going to have to keep it a secret for the rest of my life and secretly take preopecia with out telling anyone. The reason i keep it a secret and have hid the fact that i have a receding hairline is because my hairline started to recede when i was 17 and i became very self conscience. Now i feel as if it was the wrong move to have this procedure done becuase even if it does come out looking great im always going to have that dark secret that i had a hair transplant at the age 21. Im also going to always have to depend on propecia taking it everyday or else my ahirline will recede past the implants and i will look like a freak. Therefor i inquire to know if there is anything i can do to stop the hair before they come in, if indeed so i will shave my head, discontinue the use of propecia and move on with my life. thank you for your help

Hello Mr. Invisible -

I know what you mean. We all have made decision where we regret later in life. But I am not sure why you would regret such decision. I mean what's the shame in telling somebody you care or close to? I mean in my case, the only people know about my procedure are my parents and my sister. And nobody else needs to know that I had a procedure done (maybe my wife will know when I get married).

But there's no shame I think. There's no secret in taking propecia everyday. You can tell anybody that you take it because you want prevent future hair loss. Ofcourse propecia is expensive, but there's no shame in taking it daily.

Now I am not aware if there's anyway to have your new grafts from growing, but shaving your head is out of the question because if you trim your hair with lower than # 3, your scar in the donor area will be crystal clear. But believe me dude, you're young and you have long life ahead. You will be much more happy with full head of hair than being bald!!! Take my word for it.. I have been thru a lot because of my hairloss, and now I feel like a new person. My confidence is back. I haven't seen your pictures, but I am sure you have not made a decision as long as you went to a good doc for your HT. Just keep taking propecia and you'll be a happy man for yours to come.

KG

You did nothing wrong in getting a hair transplant at the age of 21... You needed that at that age and thats it...

People get there longsightedness fixed(Spectecicals removed) through lazer operations.... Girls get boob jobs done... You did absolutely nothing wrong... Just pray that it gives you excellent results... Just be worried about that and give a F*** to others...

People that have lasic surgery or breast implants are protected to some degree. They are given information booklets given the consent form in advance and in some cases required to watch an educational video. Those specialties are regulated. Hair transplants are not. The mistake was not yours it was the doctors . Filling temples is taboo.On a 21 year old with early hairloss it is highly unethical.One the bright side you may be able to reverse the doctors mistake and poor judgement with a series of laserings and some micro-dermabrasion. Who was the doctor/clinic that put the first cut on you?

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

It was only a mistake if it looks bad, if your appearance would be more appealing without it than with it.

There is no shame in having a HT procedure.Its not a deep dark secret, but no one needs to know.That does not mean you need to be ashamed of it.

Do you tell everyone every time you brush your teeth? How about when you empty your bladder? Is it because you are ashamed? Of course not!Its your own personal business and if you choose to tell somebody that is your perogative,not your duty.

Invisible -

I think the anxiety, doubts and second thoughts that you're experiencing is completely understandable. I believe it's something that many of us have experienced because of the intense emotions that we feel about our hair loss.

As you mentioned in your post, you became very self-conscience about your hair loss at the age of 17. You've had to live with this condition for the past 4 years and I completely understand your frustration and angst about your receding hairline.

I also understand your desire to try to remedy your hairloss problem. Now that you've committed to a specific course of action (i.e., a hair transplant and Propecia), I would give this solution a chance to work.

I understand that you feel strange about having a hair transplant and you feel as if you're being secretive. I think this is a natural reaction to hairloss.

For years, I watched my hairline slowly recede. I kept hoping that eventually my receding hairline would "stabilize" and in the meantime, I tried several techniques to help disguise my hairloss (different haircut lengths and styles).

It bothered me that I simply couldn't accept the fact that I would eventually be bald. I felt like I was between a rock and a hard place: I hated the way I looked but I also worried about what "others" would think of me if they realized I had had a HT. Rather than decide on what to do, I ignored the problem and continued to hope that my hairline would stop receding.

When it became evident that the styling gel that I was using for my "hair" was styling my forehead rather than my hair, I realized at the age of 40, that I could no longer ignore this issue. It dawned on me that this was something that I needed to do for myself and I couldn't be bothered about what "others" might think. Last November, I got 1,600 grafts transplanted and began taking Propecia. It's been almost 10 months and I'm glad that I got my HT. Does it look perfect? It's OK - the hairline needs work and I could use more density. But it's far better than before and I can finally finish up that bottle of styling gel that was gathering dust for a year!

Psychologically, I find that I am not as fixated about my hairloss as before; this is one of the greatest benefits of my HT. I was also surprised to find that with the exception of my father, no one has commented on my hair. I think it's a case where most people simply don't realize that I had it done - which I still find surprising.

As I said before, give this solution a chance to work. This is an adjustment period for you both psychologically and physically, and it's understandable to start second-guessing your decision. However, do not do anything that might undermine the success of your HT - that would not be a good idea and might even cause some unwanted results. Please give yourself some time before you make any rash decisions about the HT.

Regarding the Propecia - it doesn't work on the hairline but on your crown. Basically, the Propecia will slow down your hair loss and essentially buy you time. Perhaps it might keep you from having to have a second HT in the foreseeable future. Hopefully when that time finally comes you'll be older and there will be additional options available to treat hairloss.

All the best - FS

There is a post-surgical depresssion sometimes. This doesn't get mentioned very much, bcause it doesn't happen to everybody. It may be a factor here.

You should cross your fingers and hope your hair transplant turns out well, and that Propecia works for you. Hopefully you can move on with your life.

You can have the grafts removed with laser, however that would be a mistake at this point. Wait and see what your results are. Give yourself two years to judge your situation (letting your transplant grow in, and giving Propecia time to work). It's way too early to try to undo your surgery. Stay on Propecia if possible and try to ride this out.

Originally posted by arfy:

You can have the grafts removed with laser

Yes, however laser is not very accurate: it treats an AREA of skin, not single hairs, and in addition you need several procedures and even then you might be left with some permanent redness in the area treated. So it all depends on how and where the HT was done.

My first HT was butchered and I have about 30 FUs that were very badly placed and that my 2nd HT could not hide (without an additional 1000 FUs that were not available). So I remove them one by one with tweezers as soon as I see them coming. I only have to do that once a month in front of a magnifying glass, so it's not too much of a hassle and the result is perfect. Of course if you have hundreds of hairs to remove this would probably not work so well. But the above advice to "wait and see" sounds good to me in your case.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

I thought there was a way to remove the hairs via Laser (epilight?) I really should not comment on hair removal because I don't know very much.

I also goofed when I said you could "remove the graft" with laser. That's actually not what you would do (or want to do). I was trying to describe removing just the hair, not removing the actual graft itself (sometimes known as graft correction or repair).

Mea culpa...

I have had three laserings on my forhead to remove mini-plugs. Each time the hairs are smaller but you can see the graft/plug. I had no redness so far. You must be careful who is doing it just like a h/t or you may have problems as hairworthy stated. I should not have given you off hand medical advice.I just want you to know that 500 can be reversed if you are unhappy.One thing I will say is that if you are unhappy don't build on them to make it look better.I know someone who did that. Six surgeries later,each one bigger than the last until he ran out of donor hair just behind his ear (halfway point).

You don't necessarily have to take Propecia for life (do you?) - you could stop taking Propecia and let your hair loss continue and finish what you started by having a second procedure once the rest of your hair has gone. Then you would have permanent hair, no need to take Propecia secretly and you could forget about it.

• 1 month later...

Can I ask about the laserings you had to remove mini-plugs. How did this procedure work and can it be used to remove incorrectly placed hairs?

Originally posted by Mahair:

I have had three laserings on my forhead to remove mini-plugs. Each time the hairs are smaller but you can see the graft/plug. I had no redness so far. You must be careful who is doing it just like a h/t or you may have problems as hairworthy stated. I should not have given you off hand medical advice.I just want you to know that 500 can be reversed if you are unhappy.One thing I will say is that if you are unhappy don't build on them to make it look better.I know someone who did that. Six surgeries later,each one bigger than the last until he ran out of donor hair just behind his ear (halfway point).

It works pretty well. I have had three sessions done so far each time the hair falls out then comes back finer than the last. It is pretty benign and has been a great improvement. Reversing a low pluggy hairline is hard to do but so far I am pleased with the improvement.I imagine it would work for you too.

I don't know of anybody in the U.K.. You must use due dilligence in finding somebody.Most of my donor was wasted the rest caused shockloss. Take it from there . Marcus Wellby is dead.Try to find a reputable doctor and you will do fine. I am having my lasering done by an expert although I hear there are alot of QUACKS in this field too so be careful.

• 2 months later...

thinkingaboutit made some great points. I hope you read his post mrinvisible. having a HT is nothing to be ashamed of.

I do hope that your doctor performed the right procedure though. if he didn't. there is no shame for you in having a ht. you will just be in a position where you have to ask 'okay- what do I do now to fix this' and then do it. No shame.

Originally posted by mr invisible:

hi, i know this question may seem weird but is there anyway to stop the transplanted hair from growing?

In my opinion there is absolutely no shame or stigma attached to HT. Women have breast augmentation all of the time and seem to make no secret of it. You made the investment, took the time to go through the surgery, why not enjoy the results? Your surgery does not need to be a secret unless you decide to make it one. It is your choice. There is no shame in Propecia either. This is a personal medical choice that is no ones business but your own. Again, no one needs to know unless you tell them. Millions of people take drugs for different things every single day that you would never know about.

As far as reversing the transplant I am unsure if that is even possible without removing the follicle? A very painful experience IMHO.