Just back from my HT with Dr. Feller...it went great!

Jersey23

I'm about 2 hours post HT and everything is fine (if you consider a head the size of a watermelon normal..just kidding, the swelling isn't that bad yet). As expected Dr. Feller and his staff made me feel very comfortable. We redesigned my hairline 3 times, but he said we'd do it until I was happy with it.

Overall, was a very positive experience with the only real pain part being the strip injections, but they don't take that long. The hardest part might have been staying still the whole time, but I half slept through most of it. They work so deftly (and my head was completely numb) that at times I'd open my eyes just to confirm the two techs were still working on my head.

I am very happy with the shape of the overall grafted area and the very natural looking hairline. He did 2800 grafts for my front 1/3 (no native hairs, so my post pictures will be all HT) and he did 300 on my temples (more on one side since it receded more).

I won't have his pictures until staple removal on 3/5, but will try to post some this weekend from the ones I took with my cell phone. Thanks again to everyone's well wishes.

I can't wait until month 4!

• Administrators

Jersey23,

Wow, two hours out of the chair! Now that's a fresh post. Any fresher and you'd be posting from the OR.

Congratulations and welcome to the real "Hair Club"! A good surgery with a top notch clinic really should be a positive experience and not just because of all the drugs :-) It feels great to know that you and the staff really accomplished some thing that will make a big difference for you for the rest of your life. With almost 3,000 grafts in the front third you should have a whole new look with decent density.

Aren't you a bit pumped up and spending way too much time checking out all the grafts in the mirror?

I look forward to seeing your photos and watching progress in the coming months. Feel free to create free weblog to journal your progress. They are fun to create and you will get feedback from others.

Best wishes for great growth.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Dang Jersey,

Couldn't you get us a real time update?? Bring in your laptop next time! icon_biggrin.gif

Two hour post-op post- sweet!

Congratulations, follow carefully your post-op and heal well. Your bad swelling days may be 2-6 if you get any.

Good luck my friend,

NoBuzz

Dude!!!! Take some pills and go to sleep!!!!

(gently of course!!!)

We can wait to see your pics buddy!!!!

Fast and Happy Healing!!!!

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

Be sure to ice/cold pack your forehead now to prevent any swelling down the road. Sleep well and dream about sprouting follicles.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Congratulations Jersey, I was actually thinking about you today.

I slept really well the first week after my HT (with the help of Ambien).

Glad it all went well and you're happy with your new hairline. Like everyone else, I'm anxious for you to share those pics.

Rest well.

2967 Total Grafts w/ Dr. Cooley on 1/3/07 [1st HT]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

Congrats, Jersey! And thanks for the speedy post. Nexy up: someone's going to have to do a live simulcast of a HT surgery. What do you think, Pat?

My blog.

HT1: 4063 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 12/9/03

HT2: 3537 grafts by Dr. Hasson, 5/15/06

Total grafts: 7,600

Jersey,

Wow, that's probably one of the quickest updates I've seen. Get some rest buddy...I hope by now you are sleeping soundly (or as sound as you can the first night after an HT).

Be sure to ice/cold pack your forehead now to prevent any swelling down the road. Sleep well and dream about sprouting follicles.

Pat

Ironically, different doctors have different opinions on this. Dr. Hasson's instructions were NOT to ice, because the swelling is caused by the fluids injected at the time of the procedure and ice will not help it. I tend to agree with this experiencially because I iced like crazy my first two HTs and experienced a good amount of swelling whereas I did not ice for my third HT and had minimal swelling. Anyway...what I've heard that seemingly prevents swelling more, or at least helps get rid of it quicker is:

1. Sleeping with your head propped up (at least 3 pillows).

2. Stay upright most of the day (sitting rather than laying down)

3. Do some light walking every day (nothing that causes a sweat) to help work the fluids down your face.

I think I'll post this in it's own thread as a general discussion.

Bill

Bushy, I am willing to do this-- you guys will have to wait 12-14 months though!!!!!!!

I would LOVE to get a simulcast in High Def from one of our Coalition Docs!!!!

Imagine being able to "hang out" with one of our brothers during his surgery?

That has to be the coolest!!!!!!!

Hope it happens soon and I want to be there when it does!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

Live simulcast surgery? Sure, why not.

My Hair Loss Blog

I removed the donor bandage this morning and the only place I could find the staples was part of the back. I did have my hair pretty long on the sides and back, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the lack of obvious HT work done.

I'll be rinsing my hair for the first time tonight and that will give me a better look.

Sleeping last night was tough, since the only way to stay upright is to lay back on the donor area, which was very tight. I took some meds at 6 this morning and grabbed a few hours of sleep and haven't had to take anything since.

My forehead is pretty swollen, but that's it. So far everything looks good. I'll try to post some pix this weekend.