Sleeping first few nights after hair transplant?

I had 3139 graphs by Dr. Cooley on 4-18-08. Everything went great. He said to sleep normal and gave me a few surgical caps. I wore just the cap the first night while sleeping on my stomach making sure not to let my graphs touch the pillow. When I awoke, I noticed a few of the graphs bled a little. I also noticed that I lost at least two graphs. From what I have read, losing a few is expected. Anyone else have the same issue as me? Do I need to sleep in a recliner?

Thanks,

Jabba

I had 3139 graphs by Dr. Cooley on 4-18-08. Everything went great. He said to sleep normal and gave me a few surgical caps. I wore just the cap the first night while sleeping on my stomach making sure not to let my graphs touch the pillow. When I awoke, I noticed a few of the graphs bled a little. I also noticed that I lost at least two graphs. From what I have read, losing a few is expected. Anyone else have the same issue as me? Do I need to sleep in a recliner?

Thanks,

Jabba

Maybe it was just a hair, but it had a bulb at the bottom. I read somewhere on some doctors website that a few graphs lost is expected. I think I'll sleep reclined tonight.

For what it's worth

This is an excerpt from BernsteinMedical.com on after care.

Lost or Dislodged Grafts

It is not uncommon to loose a few grafts after the hair restoration procedure. Do not be concerned, this is expected.

It's best for you to sleep on your back with 3 or 4 pillows under your head. You will want to cover the pillows with a towel because your donor may bleed a little. This is normal. If the back of your head is tender you may want to try an airplane pillow/collar. This can help with taking the pressure off the suture line. Congratulations and happy growing......

BTW: I also had a procedure on Friday with Dr Epstein.

Regards,

Aaron

former hair piece wearer

1997 550 micro/mini

2002 1483 grafts

More to come???

Disclaimer: I currently work for Dr Jeffrey Epstein. I am not a doctor. I have over 10 years of hair transplant experience to share.

Dr. Epstein is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Jabba,

I would use the saran wrap under the surgical cap. I wore both for the first six nights. Again, I took a valuim every night so I don't think I moved much.... icon_cool.gif

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Dewayne,

I did use saran wrap on the 2nd night with no problems. Maybe I should have did it the first night as well. You live and learn. If I only lost 2 graphs out of 3139, that's not too bad.

Thanks,

Jabba

Originally posted by jabba:

Dewayne,

I did use saran wrap on the 2nd night with no problems. Maybe I should have did it the first night as well. You live and learn. If I only lost 2 graphs out of 3139, that's not too bad.

Thanks,

Jabba

So, that means you only got 637 'extra' grafts, instead of 639.....

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

Dewayne,

Should I call him and demand those two graphs refunded-he!he! Fyi, I was scheduled for 2500 and he gave me 3139, so I got 639 at no charge or as Dewayne would say 637!!

Jabba

Originally posted by dakota3:

dewayne,

Watch it! you dont want to become a junkie... with a full head of hair. LOL

Yea, I could join my 15 year old's "rock" band and be their addict....

Unfortunately, Dr. Cooley only prescribed a weeks worth. (j/k)

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

AndroGel - once daily

Jogging - 3x per week

i wore 72 staples in my donor strip for 10 days, then 1/2 of that for the remaining 10 days of Dr. Bernstein's recommended 20 days of staple hell!!

I needed the damn vicodine and valium, and thinking that i didn't want to form a habit, i tried switching to extra strength tylenol. FORGET IT! i was a wreck for 2 nights and had to go back to Dr.B to get refills of the vicodine and valium.

for my next surgery, i know that i will maintain the valium/vicodine stack as long as the staples are in my head. after 20 days, the scar should me pretty stable and i think mine was okay. i only had one scare while i still had the staples during a rough night of sex, (just being honest), but i went to see Dr. B right away thinking i had screwed up and it was fine.

• 5 months later...

So when does one start sleeping normally on a single pillow. (Post Surgery) I noticed that the tightness in the donor area increases by sleeping in the normal position.

Logically, the scalp will take more than 4 weeks to totally heal so should one continue with 2-3 pillows till the tightness reduces?

5700 Grafts, Dr. Hasson

My donor area still feels a little tight 6 weeks later. I would say that after 4 weeks though I was back to comfortable sleeping with just one extra pillow. But then I normally use two pillows anyway, so I don't know if just one pillow would be uncomfortable.

Hawk,

I think anytime after the first 10 days, you are safe to sleep however you are comfortable. Like sonnyboy11, if it takes you longer and you are more comfortable with two pillows, by all means, keep sleeping that way.

Donor area tightness and numbness can take longer for some.

Best wishes,

Bill