Intentionally going totally bald

anonymous man

Has anyone considered going the OTHER way?

I thought, hey, I am thinning - I may as well shave my head to the skin.

But that requires heaps of maintenance. I hate the stubble look on the sides, and it makes it so much more obvious when you have regrowth on the side and a shiny top.

I was thinking possibly, when things get to an advanced stage, just getting ALL my hair zapped electronically or with a laser (or howeevr they do it)

Then I will be left with a smooth, smooth head, no hair, it will look like I shave it to the skin intentionally. Then a bit of a tan on the head, and add a bit more muscle mass (I am fortunate enough to be built like a tank, and I train pretty hard - and no, no steroid or drug use, and I will have that commanding, strong dominant look in me

For me, going bald, my main concern is social status. I fear that people will look at me, as the bald man, as some 'meh, sweep this dude under the rug' type of guy

My inspiration for the total smooth look came from a few sources. Although I always thought about it, I was inspired by a folk music singer from my home country (in Eastern Europe) who, since I remember as a little boy, was totally, totally bald and shiny (not a hair on his head).

It became his trademark, and it became his distinguishing feature.

Then, I watched the movie Hitman the other day, and that lead actor looks fantastic with a totally smooth, bald head.

ITs definitely an intimidating, powerful sort of look.

Thoughts? I am rambling a bit ....

Cheers

Yeah, it is a good look but only if you have a good looking head to begin with. Me I need the hair or at least somewhat of a hairline as my forehead is way too big. There are lots of goodlooking men with shaved heads, but you gotta try it first to see if it suits you. You may find that your head is full of divits and that is not cool..As far as bald heads go, in this case anyways...small and round is the best look.IMO

Ya if you can pull it off go for it. This is a cool look and will save you a lot of cash and maintenance free.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Bald men are sexy ;-) My husband shaves his head even though he doesn't have a hair loss problem. I'm always like "man, you wanna get rid of yours and I wanna keep mine!"

Some people look weird with a bald head though. I saw a guy at the store the other day and you could see imprints of his brain LOL.

Originally posted by anonymous man:

Has anyone considered going the OTHER way?

I thought, hey, I am thinning - I may as well shave my head to the skin.

But that requires heaps of maintenance. I hate the stubble look on the sides, and it makes it so much more obvious when you have regrowth on the side and a shiny top.

I was thinking possibly, when things get to an advanced stage, just getting ALL my hair zapped electronically or with a laser (or howeevr they do it)

Then I will be left with a smooth, smooth head, no hair, it will look like I shave it to the skin intentionally. Then a bit of a tan on the head, and add a bit more muscle mass (I am fortunate enough to be built like a tank, and I train pretty hard - and no, no steroid or drug use, and I will have that commanding, strong dominant look in me

For me, going bald, my main concern is social status. I fear that people will look at me, as the bald man, as some 'meh, sweep this dude under the rug' type of guy

My inspiration for the total smooth look came from a few sources. Although I always thought about it, I was inspired by a folk music singer from my home country (in Eastern Europe) who, since I remember as a little boy, was totally, totally bald and shiny (not a hair on his head).

It became his trademark, and it became his distinguishing feature.

Then, I watched the movie Hitman the other day, and that lead actor looks fantastic with a totally smooth, bald head.

ITs definitely an intimidating, powerful sort of look.

Thoughts? I am rambling a bit ....

Cheers

and you could see imprints of his brain LOL

Through the skull? That's scary!

I am one of the men that does NOT look good with a shaved head unforunately. Otherwise, I may have chosen to go this route.

Many men do choose to shave their head and be rid of the problem. It is quite a good look for many men as well and often times women DO find them sexy.

But each person has to make their own decision. Hair transplantation is cleary not for everyone but it does give those who want to have a head of hair, an option for doing so.

Good topic!

Bill

I think the bald look can only be pulled off successfully by a few mainly

Fit men with a nice profile

someone with style

Also, it is cool in your 20-30's but I cannot see an older guy looking "cool" doing it ..

Of course it is my opinion only but this is based on seeing people randomly around and in business

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by Mrjb:

I think the bald look can only be pulled off successfully by a few mainly

Fit men with a nice profile

someone with style

Also, it is cool in your 20-30's but I cannot see an older guy looking "cool" doing it ..

Of course it is my opinion only but this is based on seeing people randomly around and in business

You see, this brings up a totally different thread I wanted to start

Again, its sort of a psychological one - what age is the age we choose to let go?

Like you said, a guy in his 20s or 30s might suit a shaved head, but someone aging might not - but then, some people might not care past 40 about their hair. I hope this is the case with me.

It just strikes me as 'wow', seeing a heap of older gents, in their 60's etc, going through all sorts of time consuming and maybe painful HT treatments

But anyway, thats another thread.

As for goign totally bald, I ran the question past my father - he went ballistic, and said that I will look like a

a) junky

b) criminal

c) loser

d) lowlife

e) criminal

f) criminal

So I need to experiment with the shave once I move out of home haha .... damn strict father

Umm, yes, I am a woman. Yes, I have severe hair loss. I was diagnosed with androgenic alopecia a few years ago. I wear wigs now since I've given up most hope.

a) junky

b) criminal

c) loser

d) lowlife

e) criminal

f) criminal

This just goes to show that there are terrible stereotypes that go along with going bald.

The phrase "you can't judge a book by it's cover" too often is forgotten.

The hair doesn't make the man (or woman), it is the soul (who we are).

Whether someone selects to attempt to restore their hair or go bald gracefully is a choice up to each person. And there is nothing wrong with either in my opinion.

Bill

Yup,

Just reinforces my point. I didnt make the rules but I can clearly see them in everyday society. I would even go as far to say the way I am treated by people is better than before. Now some would say this is crazy but trust me I'll give you examples

free upgrade at hotels

waiving fees on certain transactions

much more receptive when meeting people

Women's looks everyday walking around

better service in dept stores

Now , some may say this is total BS & psychological .. But today I had two instances and I did nothing else that I would do 3 years ago .. It's totally ridiculous but true. We live in a superfisical society. Look at the videos available when models dress up like heavy women.. They did a study on 20/20 about this and it was CRAZY after seeing the results

'Sad but true

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

*Completely* agree with the above. Along with weight, hair truly is the key cog in your aesthetics and how you are viewed AND TREATED by other people -- each makes a monumental impact on how you look and your personal vanity, of course, but also the connotations and stereotypes that go along with each which people immediately associate with.

Hair is so indelibly tied in with masculinity and virility (I would also argue it is associated with "happiness"); losing a substantial amount of hair is tantamount to being truly obese in my opinion for how it effects your image w/ regard to other people's perception and treatment of you. Being slightly or even modestly overweight bears nowhere near the stigma of hairloss; to say nothing of how it is by far a more fixable problem; look at commercials, movies, plays...not that uncommon to see overweight people cast in a positive light...but to show someone w/ hairloss -- a true rarity and when it does happen they are derided and cast as pariahs.

End drunken rant.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Imagine being a woman with male-type balding. It's the absolute worst. I won't leave my house without my freaking wig. I won't even check my mail without it on. My hair loss has made me quite paranoid as to how people view me.

some guys end up with hair that is beyond NW7 category and would never qualify for a ht. But Im sure no one every guessed they would end up that bad when they were in their late 20's/30's...Makes me wonder "who" could fall into this category...

nobody ever answers or even "attempts" to answer these questions when regarding getting transplants now. I just hope if I get em done now and end up one of those poor bastards later in life its when Im in my 60's/70's...

anonymous man, That's the very first time I've ever heard of someone stereotyping a bald guy as a junkie or loser or criminal etc, etc so don't even let that be a factor in shaving your head down. You might also be surprised that when you turn 40 or so that you feel exactly the same inside as you do today. That's all up to you.

I think the stereotype about the completely shave head came from his dad.. Older genrations are usually a bit more inflexible and conservative. If you look back there werent as many shave people as today.

Telly Sevalas

Yul Brenner

Hmm. Thats it from what I can recall. I also think there is a difference between being completely shaved down and just having the horseshoe look in peoples eyes.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

In England shaved heads are still looked upon as yobbish depending on how you dress as well.

Just like tattoos yhey have a similar effect.

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

i think its much more acceptable over here in britain than in the states,especially in london.a good percentage of our footballers,boxers etc have made it ok to shave down.

i used to box and wore this look for about 15 years untill the ht 2 years ago.still i think hollywood has made it fashionable lately with the likes of willis,statham,vic mackey etc.but i will agree it does stereotype the average joe into a)a thug

b)a hard nut

c)gay or for the very unfortunate d)a cancer/aids patient.i think people put me in all 4 of these depending on the weight i was at the time icon_biggrin.gif.

heres what i looked like about 5 years back.what do you think a,b,c or d?

100_2687.jpg.ed41b4d225c66ac66eec7b4f58518ae8.jpg

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

That is a totally different look for you Balody.

I vote for D....lol I'm joking icon_smile.gif

No doubt. thug but the soul patch gives a little style

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

mrj has it right - at home, my father associates the shaved (not balding, MPB) head with bad bad things.

The words in this thread, like thug etc. fit it perfectly. He looks at the shaved head and sees gaol/jail inmates, nazi skinheads, pub brawlers, general tough guy image. someone who is off the rails, isnt right in the head, is trying to make a point of some sort by shaving their head.

What makes things a tad harder is I work in an office environment with lots of clients to the firm work with - I dont know if management would be too happy if I rocked up to work in the morning with only skin up there - again, for the same thuggish stereotype.

If I do get permanent hair removal, I think I will need to do a career change, a-la Hitman movie style. That main actor sure did look tough with no hair. I am sure the rage inside me for not having any hair will be more than enough inspiration to be killing criminals.....

ok a bit far, I joke icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I have hope - all this talk 'should' be in vain - Propecia will save the day for me, I am SURe of it - I am in week 2 - woo hoo!