Advanced Hair Studio Strand by Strand

Golden Balls

Hi, I'm looking to hear from people who have had success with the strand by strand procedure from Advanced Hair Studio.

All I could find on this forum is people bashing it but I'm sure for every complaint there are many more happy customers.

I haven't done too much research into hair transplants but AHS seems pretty good. Being the biggest company in the world and all and my meeting with my surgeon left with me no doubts as to the success of the operation should I have it.

I can't be doing with using all these shampoos and drugs. I need thick hair NOW.

However the person who is lending me the money for the operation has said they will only do so if I am able to find some positive comments from 'normal people' who have had enjoyed success with the procedure.

Golden Balls,

One thing that is extremely important to remember is that advertising at best, overreaches to sell a product. This isn't true just of AHS but just about every company. Some however, enjoy stretching reality more than others.

Strand by Strand hair replacement technology is a fancy way of describing their "new and improved" hairpiece. Hairpieces can be beneficial for those who want to maintain it and care for it, but it is no way a hair restoration treatment - only a way to cover baldness.

Do not be fooled into thinking that your natural hair is being replaced.

The information below as copied from cap.org.uk. It is long but worth reading.

------

Complaint

Objection to a national press advertisement for hair replacement. It stated "THICKEN THINNING HAIR. A NATURAL GROWING HAIR EFFECT HAS BEEN PERFECTED! Finally an incredible procedure of hair restoration is available in the UK. Once only available in the USA this treatment involves utilisation of the STRAND-by-STRAND Non-Surgical-Skin Graft (N.S.G) along with selected and prepared hair filaments in creating new hairlines, or adding new hair to thinning areas of the scalp. So revolutionary is this baldness treatment that all other hair systems and surgical transplants with their limited results are now things of the past. Before you make any costly mistakes on any hair replacement system, you must come and see the startling results of this treatment. SWIM, SHOWER, PLAY SPORT? NO PROBLEM! Advanced Hair Studio - inventors of the patented STRAND-BY-STRAND and ADVANCED Laser Therapy". The complainant objected:

1. that the advertisement implied the advertisers offered treatment whereby hair was replaced, not a hairpiece;

2. to the claim "A NATURAL GROWING HAIR EFFECT HAS BEEN PERFECTED" because he believed it implied that it simulated a natural look without limitations and could not be bettered;

3. to the claims "Finally an incredible procedure of hair restoration is available in the UK" and "So revolutionary is this baldness treatment" because he believed it implied the system was new and revolutionary;

4. to the claim "this treatment involves utilisation of the STRAND-by-STRAND Non-Surgical-Skin Graft (N.S.G)" because he believed it implied that the treatments were one and the same;

5. to the claim "all other hair systems and surgical transplants with their limited results are now things of the past" because he believed it implied the advertisers'' systems were better than other systems;

6. to the claim "SWIM, SHOWER, PLAY SPORT? NO PROBLEM!" because he believed the adhesive and the hair used in the procedure could make those activities problematic and

7. to the claim "inventors of the patented STRAND-BY-STRAND and ADVANCED Laser Therapy" because he believed that the advertisers did not invent the treatments, or have rights to them, as implied by the claim and that they were trademarks, not patents.

Codes section: 3.1, 7.1, 19.1, 19.2

Adjudication

REVISED ADJUDICATION

This adjudication replaces the one published on 16 January 2002. The wording of the adjudication on Complaint 6 has been amended though the decision remains to uphold the complaint.

1. Complaint upheld

The advertisers said they offered hairpieces different to the hairpieces of the past. They said the old types of hairpieces could be removed whereas the hairpieces they supplied were intended to remain in place and were not removable. They said their hairpieces were better known as hair replacements or hair restorations. The Authority considered that the word "treatment" implied that the advertisers were offering some kind of medical treatment to treat baldness. Because they were not, the Authority asked them to amend the claim to replace the term "treatment" with "hair restoration" or "hair replacement" to ensure readers would not be misled.

2. Complaint upheld

The advertisers said that the claim was intended to mean a "natural growing hair effect" had been achieved. They believed that "achieved" and "perfected" could be used interchangeably. The advertisers said that, although the claim was not intended to mean that the process could not be bettered, they knew of no other hair replacement provider who could provide a better natural growing hair effect. The advertisers sent an extract from their brochure showing before and after pictures of someone who had had hair restoration. The Authority considered that "achieved" and "perfected" would not be seen as the same and that the claim implied the advertisers offered a process that was without limitation and could not be improved. Because they did not, the Authority asked the advertisers to amend the claim to remove the word "perfected".

3. Complaint upheld

The advertisers said the advertisement had first appeared in June 2000 and had re-appeared in April 2001. The said, although the STRAND-BY-STRAND procedure itself was not new, the process was constantly updated and improved. The advertisers said the reason the product could still be described as new and revolutionary was because for the first time through the Non-Surgical-Skin Graft (N.S.G.) the membrane that was attached to a client''s head could be adhered to the skin making the membrane undetectable up close. The advertisers believed the N.S.G. system was still the most up-to-date available and therefore it remained new and revolutionary. They said the advertisement was targeted only at those who were not already using the system. The Authority was concerned that the advertisers did not send comparative evidence to show that the advertised N.S.G. process was the most up-to-date available and it considered that, because N.S.G. had been offered by the advertisers for more than a year, it could no longer be described as new. The Authority asked the advertisers not to repeat the claim.

4. Complaint not upheld

The advertisers said STRAND-BY-STRAND was a technique that offered varied and modified procedures that included N.S.G., HAIRFUSION and Trico-fuse. They said different variations and modifications existed within those procedures. Because the N.S.G. procedure was one of the STRAND-BY-STRAND processes, the Authority considered that the claim would not mislead.

5. Complaint not upheld

The advertisers said surgical transplants were generally accepted to have limited results. They said they knew of no other hair replacement system that could achieve results like the one advertised. The advertisers said they were market leaders who tried to keep one step ahead of the market place. They said the claim was merely their opinion and, although they understood that customers may still use other hair systems and surgical transplants, they believed their procedures were the best available. The Authority considered that the claim was not one of superiority and would be seen as the advertisers'' opinion of the service they offered. It concluded that the claim was acceptable.

6. Complaint upheld

The advertisers said their clients could swim, shower and play sports after undergoing their procedures. They sent a promotional video showing three men engaged in various sporting activities and the cricketer Greg Matthews swimming and playing sport. They also sent over 150 signed testimonials in standard form signed by satisfied customers including Greg Matthews stating that they could swim, play sport and shower without restriction. They later sent a statement to the same effect sworn by Graham Gooch. The Authority considered that the claim implied the hair replacement would not be affected or detectable when customers took part in the stated activities. It noted that the advertisement made no reference to the need for customers to return for after-care if the advertised qualities of the product were to be secured. The Authority considered that the promotional video and testimonials were not enough to support the claim that any customer who had undergone the Strand-by-Strand N.S.G. procedure would be likely to be able to participate in the advertised activities without any adverse affect to their hair replacement. The Authority was not satisfied that the advertisers had substantiated the claim and asked them not to repeat it unless they held, and could send to the Authority on request, substantive and objective documentary evidence to prove it. The Authority also asked them to make plain to customers the need for regular afer-care.

7. Complaint upheld

The advertisers said they held several patents for the various STRAND-BY-STRAND procedures; they supplied the patent numbers they held. They said they did not hold patents for Advanced Laser Therapy and did not claim to do so. The Authority considered that the claim implied the advertisers held patents for both the STRAND-BY-STRAND procedure and Advanced Laser Therapy. Because they did not, the Authority considered that the claim was misleading and asked them to amend it to make clear that the patent was held for STRAND-BY-STRAND only.

Issues

There are no issues associated with this adjudication.

hi goldenballs

by your title are you a football fan and a fan of beckham,if so take a look at john hartson who was the face for ahs advertising and he is now bald as a coot.

Bill has given you some good advive,do a search on here for grav15 post regarding ahs and them being exposed by the bbc.they are not the biggest company in the world,maybe one of the biggest at fancy marketing.

you say you have no doubts as to the success of the operation,there is no operation just a wig glued to your head and as for the surgeon/salesman ask him what qualifications he has so you can check him out.

you really need to do more research before doing anything but if you are happy to wear a wig and pay to have it maintained for the rest of your life then thats your choice.

hope this is of help to you

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

Guest josh - b

'take a look at john hartson who was the face for ahs advertising and he is now bald as a coot'...lol chucky.

If i remember correctly he had 3 homer simpson strands of hair on his head when advertising for them.

For the amount of money you are going to spend on this Hair system (which maybe on a GREAT day will look semi-natural) you could have a nice HT procedure and think long term. of course this is your decision but talk to the many on here who have had a wig.. Most didn't like it or thought it was a waste.. Instant hair is a short term solution in my mind but it is your head

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Ok this is really upsetting. icon_frown.gif

But part of me just refuses to believe that this method is as shoddy as you guys are suggesting.

However I'm aware that this could be because I just want this to be sorted out as soon as possible. I'm only 19 and I'm at University which is supposed to be the best time of your life.

Anyway do you guys know for sure that the procedure is a sham and that it doesn't look natural?? And what would you suggest I do instead??

For the amount of money you are going to spend on this Hair system (which maybe on a GREAT day will look semi-natural) you could have a nice HT procedure and think long term.

Dude, your 19, listen to the wise old ones here. We have seen how young guys get taking in by these shady descriptions of a WIG! IT IS A WIG, IT IS A WIG!!! You are in college, are you willing to let people know that your hair is fake. It may look ok now and then, but people will eventually find out, what about the women???

Keep your hair cut close and wear a cap for a while if it really bothers you. In a few years look into HT if you are a good candidate.

NoBuzz

Ugh, I relate to the panic that sets in when hair loss really starts to become noticable, especially at such a young age (I'm in my 20's myself). I too wanted to beleive so badly in the amazing looking hair systems I saw being paraded around the net and on TV....in fact, I almost got suckered in by "Virtual Reality Hair" -- thank god I backed out at the last minute after doing some extensive research.

flat out: they are NOT a panacea and not nearly the solution you think they are. Especially for someone as young as you, in school, getting into a hair system would present a whole new array of problems, not the least of which would be the very reasonable paranoia that goes along with always wondering if you are being detected....if the system is looking ok (because it WILL deterioriate)....can you take part in this activity and not damage (read: make obvious) the system. also, if you lead an active lifestyle (read: working out, sports, even if you just sweat a lot) there will be even more paranoia and potential problems. Not too mention the really obscene cost (this doesn't go so much for places like toplace and coolpiece, which, imo, are an elite, safe option if you ever do go that route). as it was pointed out, the money spent on these juiced up wigs can be put towards some truly marvelous procedures (e.g. an elite HT, or, in the future, hair multiplecation/cloning).

i would: take some pictures and post them on a site such as this and get feedback; talk to your doctor about The Big Three (propecia, rogaine foam, nizoral); save up and know that you are living in a golden age of hair restoration where, when you become a viable candidate for a HT, you will get a devestatingly effective solutional path. w/e you do, don't get suckered into a contract before you are 100% sure you know what you are getting and how it will work.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

My own personal take on hairpieces are they work on some but not on all. Anyone who is young and in college seems like the perfect opposite of who would be advised to travel this route of wearing one of these. Again, using hair loss drugs such as Propecia and Rogaine and keeping it cut short is best advice. Youth is always spent chasing hair and sometime the smartest route is to wait, (not borrow money for something that is not going to be a smart financial decision as well as a mistake)

Either way, good luck, choose wisely, and be creative with styling what you got, getting a HT is a much bigger investment you can consider when your finances improve someday.

• Moderators

Golden,

Don't do it!! They tell you it's real hair and integrates with your own, etc, etc, but it's just a hair piece, toupee, wig, whatever you want to call it. I got suckered into that back when I was 21 (from another company, but same thing).

Before I went there I was shying away from going out places or dating women because I was a NW 5 and felt I looked so much older than the other people my age. I felt out of place. I remember when I was 20 I dated a girl at work who was only a year younger than me and I got told I was "robbing the cradle" (dating young girls that I was way too old for). For a while I was dating women who were 5 to 10 years older than I was just so I wouldn't feel too old for them. So anyway I know how you feel.

So I got the "strand by strand" hair replacement and the problem got 10 times worse! All I did all day was worry about who could tell if it was fake. I was always looking at mirrors. I was doing that alot before, but with the hair system it was a LOT more. When I was out with some people, I'd go to the men's room and check to see if it was noticeable. Let me tell you it's the most horrible thing when you look in the mirror and can see that it's fake. You just want to rip it off. I used to stay there combing and combing to try to make it look half decent. Most time it doesn't happen. Even if I was able to make it look OK, how do I go back out there knowing that everyone there knows my hair is fake because it was so obvious. Sometimes I'd just sneak out and go home without even telling anyone. That was the few times I actually did go out. After that I hid from everyone and never went anywhere. After 7 months of that I finally got rid of it. I tried hair transplants, but that made my hair even worse. But no matter how horribly ugly I look from the scars from the hair transplants, I will never go back to wearing a hair system.

The only thing I would consider is wearing a partial hairpiece for the back if you can get the front filled in with hair transplants (I don't know your situation. I can only tell you of mine). That's what I originally wanted to do when I went for my hair transplant, but they insisted I was a good candidate and started towards the crown rather than the hairline just to prove it.

But that's another story.

Anyway.... Don't do it!!

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Golden,

In my opinion, "strand by strand hair restoration" is a perfect example of today's marketing tactics in order to sell a product to the naive believing public. I myself once was in this category until I learned quickly to research everything.

But once you become educated and see past the marketing, you will have to decide whether or not you are really buying into is worth the price.

Keep in mind that it is not a "method", it's just a hairpiece. It most likely is a very nice and natural looking hairpiece but you will have to be willing to properly care for it and maintain it and from what I've heard, it's costly and cumbersome.

Bill

Actually Bill, the wigs AHS sells look horrible by all accounts. They're also extremely overpriced and it's hell to try to get a refund.

Golden, don't go to AHS. If you want a wig, find a reputable wig shop. Otherwise get on Propecia and get a transplant in 8-9 years (most reputable doctors won't work on someone who's 19 because your hair loss pattern is likely not established yet and they run the risk of making you look bad in the long term).

I would love to hear Glock's feedback because he went from wearing a wig for years to having a 4000 plus HT ..

He can speak from 1st hand experinence

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!