Feller and Farjo on UK TV (14 Jun 2007)

Well well, some interesting things in this program called "I hate my bald head" last night. Basically this tall bald guy was going from one place to another to find "a cure" to his baldness. Tried the usual scams, like oil on your forehead poured by a "doctor" who's obviously found a good way to rip people off. Then he tried a wig on, then the "glued haird" (Advanced Hair Studio style), both of which didn't last long, and then came the bit on HT.

First he met Alan Feller in a hotel lobby, got a free consultation, told Feller what kind of "hair coverage" he had in mind, which was totally unrealistic: the guy was NW6, maybe more, and wanted full coverage with very poor donor area. Feller rightly told him that he should review his goals or forget about HT. He also told him that, due to his donor area characteristics, any transplanted hair coming from there was likely to fall within 5 years, which led the guy to summarize after the meeting that HTs were good for 5 years only (wrong of course).

And then the guy went to see Farjo, to witness an actual HT. The patient was probably NW4, mid to late 30s, and wanted full coverage. Farjo had drawn a line around his forehead that went from ear to ear, with a very aggressive, Armani-like, temple filling. This was close to a NW2 hairline. Well there is obviously NO WAY this guy will get it, and whilst the surgery itself "looked" decent from the few seconds we saw, the goals were totally unrealistic and I doubt any of the top surgeons here (Shapiro, Feller, Epstein, H&W, etc) would have drawn such a low hairline on a guy that age. What the guy will get is poor coverage all around, he will continue to lose his hair behind the transplanted area and will look terrible. I hope we get to see his picture in 3 to 4 years.

So since Farjo is considered "one of the best in the UK", this program convinced me even more that I should continue to cross the Atlantic for any work needed, and to advise others to do so as well.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

Well well, some interesting things in this program called "I hate my bald head" last night. Basically this tall bald guy was going from one place to another to find "a cure" to his baldness. Tried the usual scams, like oil on your forehead poured by a "doctor" who's obviously found a good way to rip people off. Then he tried a wig on, then the "glued haird" (Advanced Hair Studio style), both of which didn't last long, and then came the bit on HT.

First he met Alan Feller in a hotel lobby, got a free consultation, told Feller what kind of "hair coverage" he had in mind, which was totally unrealistic: the guy was NW6, maybe more, and wanted full coverage with very poor donor area. Feller rightly told him that he should review his goals or forget about HT. He also told him that, due to his donor area characteristics, any transplanted hair coming from there was likely to fall within 5 years, which led the guy to summarize after the meeting that HTs were good for 5 years only (wrong of course).

And then the guy went to see Farjo, to witness an actual HT. The patient was probably NW4, mid to late 30s, and wanted full coverage. Farjo had drawn a line around his forehead that went from ear to ear, with a very aggressive, Armani-like, temple filling. This was close to a NW2 hairline. Well there is obviously NO WAY this guy will get it, and whilst the surgery itself "looked" decent from the few seconds we saw, the goals were totally unrealistic and I doubt any of the top surgeons here (Shapiro, Feller, Epstein, H&W, etc) would have drawn such a low hairline on a guy that age. What the guy will get is poor coverage all around, he will continue to lose his hair behind the transplanted area and will look terrible. I hope we get to see his picture in 3 to 4 years.

So since Farjo is considered "one of the best in the UK", this program convinced me even more that I should continue to cross the Atlantic for any work needed, and to advise others to do so as well.

As usual thanks for your comments, as i have said on previous occassions everyone is entitled to their views.The guy you mentioned will be posting his results as his hair develops,although how you as a lay person can comment on what "top"doctors like Dr Shapiro,Dr Cooley etc would do is questionable to say the least.I am not interested in getting in to a debate with you on this subject,mainly because you have a bias against the UK but lets just wait and see his hair.

Patient coordinator for Dr. Bessam Farjo who is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I forgot to add the following information,the patient is not losing hair but developed recessions in his mid twenties,his situation has been stable for over fifteen years.There is no history of hair loss in his family.

There is no such thing as an aggressive hairline here,as we all know each case is different and decisions are made after consultations with your doctor and all the issues have been factored in.Including additional treatment requirements.the guy is on our website under graft placement if anyone wants a look.(video)

Patient coordinator for Dr. Bessam Farjo who is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

hi mick,glad someone else was watching the same show as me,hairworthy obviously wasnt.norwood 4?low hairline?he was a 3 at worst and his hairline was maybe 5mm if that under his original.as for wanting full coverage ive watched it 3 times now not once does this guy say anything of the sort.he looks like a guy approaching middle age and wanting his temples filling in,nothing fantastic or unrealistic.seems to me hairworthy you have something of a grudge against the farjo clinic ive read your comments on abbie which seem to fly in the face of other opinions posted here.im surprised you could bring yourself to say the surgery looked decent even if it was only for a "few seconds".at least the man is willing to show his work and bring hts into the public eye.i understand you had a bad experince with noble ,dont mean one bad apple spoils the whole lot.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

Then his assessment was from sleeping at the Holiday Inn. Thanks for clearing that up.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

Originally posted by balody:

b spot,sorry forgot to say mick is not a doctor,he is just well informed and educated in his field .

Then he should not use the term "lay person"

Using that term here, in the manner used, is not well recieved, especially by people like myself who fall into that category.

Regardless of how imformed he is, he is not a doctor, thus he is a lay person.

I don't really care what his opinion is, he is free to express it, just as hairworthy expressed his.

However, it is an OPINION and correct me if I am wrong, the opinion of a person with a vested interest in the Farjo clinic.

I am not agreeing nor disagreeing with anyone here, but don't for a second think that because someone is a "lay person" their opinion doesn't count or possess merit.

That really pisses me off.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

although how you as a lay person can comment on what "top"doctors like Dr Shapiro,Dr Cooley etc would do is questionable to say the least

Mick,

It looks like B Spot beat me to the punch. Personally, I think this statement is 100% wrong, unless you want to redefine a lay person. To me a "lay person" is anyone who is not directly involved in the clinical side of the surgery, which includes patients like me.

And I would venture to say that if you and I went head to head in discussion about HT, we'd both be able to share a plethera of valuable information. Don't assume that when a patient gives his/her opinion that it is coming from an uneducated stance. Read some of my and other's posts who know a LOT about HTs. Clearly these opinions from lay people like me are based on our education and knowledge of HTs, not just personal bias.

However...opinions are opinions...therefore ALL are welcome.

Besides it is LAY PEOPLE who run this community.

And the truth is, though I confess I can't make a real evaluation without knowing the specific case of the patient hairworthy has mentioned, I'd have to say that his concern is 100% valid and I would agree generally speaking.

A NW4 would most likely need at least 4000-5000 grafts to achieve decent coverage and density.

IMO, I believe starting with a conservative hairline is best. If the patient is satisfied with the coverage and density of the transplanted hair starting with a conservative hairline, he can always choose later (assuming grafts are available) to have it lowered. But starting with a low hairline is opening up to risk if the patient wants more density later and can't get it because he is out of donor grafts.

Cheers,

Bill

P.S. I want to add that I'd definitely like to see pictures of this patient (before/immediately post op/after pictures) in order to make my own opinion. I will also ensure everyone here that I have no bias toward any particular clinic. I simply let the results speak for themselves.

Bill

hi Bill and b spot,firstly let me say i respect your opinions but as far as im concerned hairworhys opinion wasnt educated it was yet another dig at farjo.why cant mick defend his clinic?you should be taking hw to task for lying about the "full coverage"thing.as mick said in another post pat asked him to get more involved in the site showing results,blogs,etc.well its a bit of an uphill struggle when ever the name farjo gets a mention someone jumps straight in and starts spouting rubbish about a "few seconds" of tv they watched.thats what pisses me off!

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

Bill and B spot,

You're right , it was really an inappropriate term to use, sorry.

The point i was trying to get over was really that it was an inappropriate response from a person who has not got anything good to say about the UK and you know what i can understand Hairworthy, having had work from a certain clinic he will be biased because in 15 years i have never seen a good result from them.Normally i am calm, reasonably cool but i do occasionally see red mist,it normally happens when the UK is slated.We have worked hard over the last few years to overturn this bias.I would be more than happy to invite Hairworthy to visit our Clinic and see result for himself.We all know that the web has enabled knowledge to be spread widely and quickly and sharing of knowledge can be a great thing, but sometimes it needs to be more constructive rather than destructive.

Balody,

"you should be taking hw to task for lying about the "full coverage"thing."

Whoah,whoah,whoah. Where does this come from? What lie about full coverage? Why are we even mentioned in this thread to begin with? If you have something to say, do so now.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

sorry joe,i knew when i typed that someone would mistake it for hasson and wong.i meant hairworthy my man,dont worry i think youve had enough bashing for one week icon_biggrin.gif

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

Mick,

Apology accepted from my POV...no big deal...thanks

----------

Balody,

Mick has every right to defend his clinic...nobody said anything about that. I just hope in "defense" of his clinic, that he'll post this patient's pictures, numbers, patient expectations and goals.

What full coverage thing are you referring to?

-------

Everyone,

Just wondering...why would Hairworthy have a problem with the Farjo clinic? Does Hairworthy have an objective? Or is he just forming opinions based on what he has seen in his research?

I am not familiar with all of hairworthy's posts about the Farjo clinic so I can't make a hypothesis as to what his motives might be.

I will say, howeever, that I don't see anything in this particular post of hairworthy's that is downright negative or wrong. It appeared to be his opinion based on the evidence he has seen in this case. I would honestly have the same concerns generally speaking.

But enough generalizations...can somebody post some pictures and this particular patient's experience with the Farjo clinic? Mick? Perhaps you could take initiative on this?

I think it's wise for everyone not to simply take another's perspective, but to draw their own conclusions based on hard evidence placed before them.

Bill

Me against the rest of the world huh? I don't care, I'll continue to speak my mind. Every US/Canadian surgeon that I mention in my first post can provide HUNDREDS of pictures showing patients with outstanding results, both in coverage and density. I look at Farjo's website and I can't see ONE. Farjo widely advertises the english actor Shawn Williamson as the flagship of his patients (the Farjo brochure seen in the program actually features Shawn on the front page). Well I'm looking at Shawn's pictures here and frankly: how could ANYONE be pleased with that HT? Poor coverage, low density and the work done is OBVIOUS, which is exactly the opposite of what an HT should be. I've got nothing against Farjo, he probably does the best he can and probably is one of the "best" in the UK but, I'm sorry, he's simply not in the same league as the ones I mention. My "lay person"s opinion, and thank you Mick for authorizing me to have one!

Balody, Mick has every right to defend himself or the clinic he represents.

This portion of the matter is closed.

As far as the Farjo clinic is concerned, they are moving forward...... they are not as bad as Hairworthy feels, nor are they near the work being done by Top Docs in the US.

On one hand, I would be remiss if I did not say that the goal here should be to continue to recommend TOP clinics and challenge those who are lagging behind to catch up.

It is my opinion that the Farjo clinic is trying to do this.

The ONE thing I dislike about the photos from the Farjo clinic is that I feel perhaps too much conservatism with regards to session sizes, but being more careful is FINE. Just make sure that is represented when displaying patient results.

The level of expectation is at an all-time high, so clinics not performing larger sessions need to remember this when posting photos.

BE CLEAR!!!!! as to how the patient is being treated.

Hairworthy, feel free to continue to post your opinions my man.

Your not alone, and your entitled.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

hairworthy,

I'd hardly say it is you against the rest of the world brother...you make valid points as I've stated above.

I feel the same way B Spot does...

The Farjo clinic has yet to impress me with any of their before/after transitions. This is not to say that their patients haven't experienced an improved look...just to say that they have not "wowed" me like a few select top clinics IMO. But I'm open to seeing more work by them.

The one thing I will say is I'm glad Mick is here to represent the Farjo clinic because most of us would like to see more work by them. Obviously the more data we have, the more we can form an educated opinion of their overall consistency, etc.

Conservative doesn't equal bad, necessarily, but when clinics are having high success rates with mega-megasessions in appropriate cases, it calls to reason that other clinics should make this a goal.

You will see many of my posts to Mick's posts have been questioning why a smaller session was performed when the patient could have clearly benefited from a larger session. The specifics of each case, however, must be provided by the clinic (or patient) in order to generate a more accurate conclusion.

Bill

Originally posted by the B spot:
Originally posted by balody:

b spot,sorry forgot to say mick is not a doctor,he is just well informed and educated in his field .

Then he should not use the term "lay person"

Using that term here, in the manner used, is not well recieved, especially by people like myself who fall into that category.

Regardless of how imformed he is, he is not a doctor, thus he is a lay person.

I don't really care what his opinion is, he is free to express it, just as hairworthy expressed his.

However, it is an OPINION and correct me if I am wrong, the opinion of a person with a vested interest in the Farjo clinic.

I am not agreeing nor disagreeing with anyone here, but don't for a second think that because someone is a "lay person" their opinion doesn't count or possess merit.

That really pisses me off.

Bspot, you usually talk sense. Here you are giving a tough time to Bush. Man, no one is supposed to do that. Back off, or otherwise aquarius will bite your butt.

Originally posted by Aquarius:

Hairworthy-

Don't you dare leave your post.

Hey man(optional) aquarius, did you finally learn what nincompoop means?

Dr. Nincompoop, my gawd, you are such an a*s