Stem Cell Growth for hair

I was reading something about hair transplant on wikipedia and they had something very interesting about stem cells being used to make grafts for patients. Anyone seen or heard anything like that so far? It looked mighty interesting as it would make the amount of donated hair much more bigger!

I was reading something about hair transplant on wikipedia and they had something very interesting about stem cells being used to make grafts for patients. Anyone seen or heard anything like that so far? It looked mighty interesting as it would make the amount of donated hair much more bigger!

hello goodtogo,

yes, cloning of cells for hair grafts in under development...but the last projection I heard was at least 10 years away. I'd say if you double or triple that, that's probably more realistic. I wouldn't hold out for cloning of hair cells at this point...but it will be interesting to see where the science goes.

Bill

Dr. Cooley has been involved with hair cloning research as a consultant of InterCytex. During my HT with him less than 2 months ago, I specifically asked him quite a bit of questions on this. Below is a summary of what he told me:

First of all, he believes that this technology should be available to public in about 10 years. Initially the price will be very high, due to the need to recuperate the enormous amount of R&D costs. However, he is also pretty certain there are people willing to pay for it (you know, those NW6s and NW7s with a lot of money icon_smile.gif). With this technology, you essentially get unlimited amount of donor hair in the form of stem cells, so there is no longer the need to tap into your conventional donor area. Also, treatment should be effective for everybody. In other words, even those who have been NW7 for the last 30 years can restore their original high school hair density, even exceeding it. I guess that means once this technology is available, I can walk into the clinic, demanding 200 fu/cm2 should I wish icon_biggrin.gif Originally I thought this involves growing all the grafts you need in a dish, then have the HT surgeon doing mega-mega-mega sessions of 20,000 or 30,000 grafts in one pass. However, Dr. Cooley said that is not the case, and it's actually more like injecting hair follicle stem cells into your scalp and let them grow.

Once we do see this becoming a reality, I think it will truly change some of our current perceptions:

1. The term "finite donor supply" will no longer exist

2. No HT patient will ever have to live with a donor scar again

3. You don't need to receive lower density grafts like 50 fu/cm2 to achieve the "illusion of full density." You can have the original density, even exceeding it.

4. Scalp exercise will be a thing of the past

5. Finasteride and minoxidil will become ancient history: just let all the DHT-sensitive hair fall out and play catching up with unlimited supply of DHT-impervious hair. We no longer have to depend on these current medications for life.

6. Cost: I believe the reason why current HT is so expensive is because it consumes an inredible amount of time on the part of the surgeon and his entire staff. Once this technology is available in mass volume, I think the price should become much more affordable, simply because the HT doctor can now see many patients per day.

7. We probably won't experience any new graft shedding anymore.

8. I wonder if the surgeon's skill still comes into play, if the main thing he has to do now is injecting stem cells into patients scalps. Do we still need a list of Coalition Doctors for this?

So these are my two cents. Hope it helps.

If stems cells are injected into the scalp how do we know the new hairs will grow at the proper angles? What if they grow out funny? Part of being a HT doc is the ability to place the grafts at the proper angle to achieve a natural look for fit within someone's hair style in some cases. Can anyone explain?

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

BTB-

Thanks so much for sharing the detail on HM in your post. I've heard about it, and read some on it, but really appreciated the finer points you provided courtesy of Dr. Cooley.

We understand that the initial cost will be high, I wonder how high it will be? No way of knowing I realize, just curious.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Maybe they will grow the follicles in a dish and then insert them into the scalp in the same manner they do today. Anyone know about how this may work?

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hairfree that is an excellent question. The stem cell injection method does create a problem of hair exit angle being uncontrollable. As Dr. Keene puts it, it will be used for providing an "underbrush". It will have its limitations.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Woah, nice posts fellas. Some projections were of 2009 but yeah I think that would be very aggressive given that stem cells are not very frequently being used even right now. I was thinking maybe we can all look like 20 years icon_cool.gif

• Administrators

"Hair cloning" has always facinated those of us with severe hair loss. When I began online ten years ago it was a hot topic online then.

Bill presented many interesting points. But I have heard from various experts that controling the direction the new hair will grow is problematic. Thus some expect that the hair stem cells, when first introduced to the public, will be injected in areas as "filler hair" with the critical areas still being done with conventional transplanted follicles.

I'll be the first one in line to get a mega dose of density if and when it's available and I'm not in a nursing home.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

I read a posting there yesterday from intercytex.

They claim that the direction of new hair growth should be the same as it would occur naturally.

There are different theories and i heard the growth in the mice hair tha was tested on was blotchy.

In regard to stem cells. I saw on the news fiur articles. With stem cells they can grow part of a human heart. In three years this particular research team reckon that that they can grow a whole heart from stem cells.

New Stem cell breakthroughs have provided an alternative to diabetics requiring insulin injections.

In India a woman who was paralised was treated with stem cells and regained mobility in both her legs.

This is all stuff that was on the news last week alone. It would seem to me that progress is being made in stem cells research overall. Thing s are happening fast. It stands to reason that if they can grow a heart in three years, a vital and perhaps one of the most complicated organs in the body, they will sure as hell be able to grow hair follicles on someones head. Im optomistic. I think they'll crack the problems in a few years. It may be ten years before it becomes a commercial reality, or less.

Intercytex have been researching stem cells for 40 years. This isn't a new gymic to them like it probably is to Bosley. I am sceptical in some ways also but there is scientific eveidence to suggest that it will happen. I don't think furthermore that one can compare the development of stem cell research to the evolution of hair transplantation. Hair transplantation is surgery that involves skill and took years to perfect it as a craft and procedure. Almost like a form of horticulture, whereby taking a tree from a rainforest in south America, digging up its roots, driving it in a truck, flying it to Holland, and planting it on a Beach.

From what i have read, this process involving stem cells is a treatment, or a type of medicine that will be injected into the scalp.

Perhaps within that same ten year window for stem cells to refine, they will come up with a way to avoid scars all together as well. Then we can all go in for our scar corrective surgery while we grab more density. Kinda like the guys that have to go in today for 1980's plug removal and corrective surgery today.

We'll all look back twenty years from now and describe what we went thru to a bunch of, now, teenagers and 20-somethings and they'll look at us like our Docs were barbarians and that we are ancient. Heck, I already feel old just thinking about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Once we get rid of the war criminal occupying the White House, perhaps Stem Cell research in our country will roar ahead with all kinds of treatments and discoveries for various diseases and conditions.

Hoping,

Careful, my friend. Stem cell research is a hot topic...............no reason to mention anything negative about our Pres. He may not be all things to all people (who is?) but he is a man of character trying to make choices based on what he thinks is best for America.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• Administrators

Hair loss is a truly "bipartisan" issue. I also find that hair and politics don't mix well. Except of course you want to talk about Senator Biden's hair transplants, which fortunately have been improved in recent years.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Originally posted by Hoping:

Uh-OH. I can see I better keep my mouth quiet around here. Let me just respectfully say that we agree to disagree :-)

No problem, Hoping icon_smile.gif! Just better if we stick to Hair loss/restoration subjects..........at least we have a common reference point that way!

Originally posted by Pat:

Hair loss is a truly "bipartisan" issue. I also find that hair and politics don't mix well. Except of course you want to talk about Senator Biden's hair transplants, which fortunately have been improved in recent years.

LOL.........I agree Pat........only exception to the rule of discussing hair loss and politics! Some of the politician combovers are the best (worst) I've seen icon_wink.gif! On that note, I see that Al Gore no longer has a balding crown................wonder where he had his work??

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Wow someone is not a big fan of the current pres icon_wink.gif In any case, stem cell research is going on in many countries and I am sure there will be plenty of breakthroughs. We just have to patient for the US of A to catch up.

And surely, you have to cringe at McCain's combover icon_wink.gif