hair transplants and weightlifting

This is a good friend of mine Chuck that recieved a transplant in his hairline from Dr. Hasson 5 years before this video. Some doctors recommend even waiting up to 6 months before returning to the gym. He was back at the gym as soon as his staple were removed without any problems with his scar. It actually a pretty cool video showing him in the afternoon of a bodybuilding competiton, he can barely move or talk because he is so dehyrated. This video shows his hairline with his haircut short even 5 years later it still looks great in my opinion.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

This is a good friend of mine Chuck that recieved a transplant in his hairline from Dr. Hasson 5 years before this video. Some doctors recommend even waiting up to 6 months before returning to the gym. He was back at the gym as soon as his staple were removed without any problems with his scar. It actually a pretty cool video showing him in the afternoon of a bodybuilding competiton, he can barely move or talk because he is so dehyrated. This video shows his hairline with his haircut short even 5 years later it still looks great in my opinion.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

lorenzo,

As you rightfully pointed out, patients can often resume normal workouts shortly after the staples are removed. In my opinion however, one should avoid lifting too heavy too early on and week by week gradually increase the weight. A patient should use logic. If the donor area feels strained in any way, lessen the weight or move on to a different exercise.

For me, I was actually back in the gym on day 6 staples in and all. However, I lifted very lightly and focused on reps. I also avoided exercises that involved anything touching or straining the donor area for a few weeks.

Thanks for posting this video.

Bill

Not exercising for 6 months would drive me crazy.

We tell patients not to work out the morning of surgery, and they can resume (unless otherwise told) the day the sutures are removed--day 7-10.

I ask them not to Arch their back while bench pressing, nor to do crunches which stretch even our 2 layer closure, for 6 weeks. Otherwise, they are free to go to the gym.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Did nada for 12 days; once the staples came out resumed modest lifts and light cardio w/ no ab work; next week resumed boxing; after another week I started a more normal, robust schedule (including sparring, jiu-jitsu) and just cherry-picked certain exercises out if I felt a particular strain. The last thing that I felt OK in doing was running/sprinting.

Kinda odd that some doctors recco 6 (if not more) months. It seems to me that there is randomness w/ regard to the variables that lead to a "perfect" scar, so being a bit more aggressive isn't like jeopardizing your shot at a sweet scar.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

It's good to hear about people's experiences regarding working out. My biggest concern was and now is the stretching of the scar due to weight lifting, running and playing basketball.

I work out on free weights five/six days a week and run/play basketball three times a week. So, sitting around is driving me nuts. I actually put my membership at the gym on hold for a month so I wouldn't be tempted to work out. And, I am truly OCD in regards to physical activity, so it is extremely tough right now simply sitting around and I am only at the 12-day mark from surgery.

It seems like a good number of members here who had a HT went back to working out fairly soon after surgery. How are your scars? Any stretching? Any detriments to early growth? Hat or bandana (or no cover up at all)?

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

my doc advised me not to lift until the 1 month mark. I ended up waiting until 2 months, because I felt at little discomfort in the donor area, and didn't want to push it. I was able to start running at about 3 weeks though. Sitting around doing nothing was really hard for the first month!

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

My scar is solid, and though it stretched a bit, it's no worse than I've seen a myriad of other scars on people who played it ultra-conservative; def no detriment to early growth; between a uniform buzz, Couvre/Nanogen I did no cover at all (I had planted seeds setting up a psoriasis breakout and a fighting injury to help mitigate any of my irregularities).

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I had a discussion with dr. Arocha last week regarding stretching and scar. He says that exercices that should be avoided are the ones that but strains on the neck and thus the scar, such as squat, shoulder shrug etc. I am not sure that cardio exercise such as jogging or basketball would affect the scar.

All you hair geeks are prima donna. Nice hair, nice muscles, what else? any of you are using make up as well icon_smile.gif

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I can understand one month maybe the maxinum two months but six months? My experience that most people that are losing there hair usually concentrate on being in good shape. Could you imagine no going in for a transplant in great shape thinning by the time your hair comes in you are a fat guy with more hair.

I think the issue is less with "strain" to the donor area, or any area, and more with how resistance training can increase your blood pressure.

If you're lifting heavy, like doing squats or something, you could valsalva your way to some very high BPs, which could lead to a hematoma.

Do all the cardio you want, it has no detrimental effect on the scar. I ask my patients to wait one week, but I have caught some jogging in the local park a few days after surgery. Latinlotus that is correct, just limit the ones that can put tension on the neck muscles. There are many other alternative lifting exercises that can accomplish the same benefit.

Marko Ramius,

Please do not valsava when you lift. Yes it can raise your blood pressure, but more importantly it will decrease the return of blood to your heart and subsequently the blood pump out by the heart drops off causing you to become light headed or past out. Please use good breathing technique and breath out as you exert never hold your breath.

Dr Arocha's last thread gives good advice. But like many of you weight lifters, I too, arched my back, held my breath and did anything possible to get my bench press as high as I could. My wife, a cardiologist, finally beat it into me that I would wind up like my Dad, who died of a heart attack, if I kept it up. So one week after I turned 42, I maxed out with a #345 bench, and gave my self til age 43 to get 350. A year went by and I am sure its mental, but I never got more than that 345.

At my 43rd birthday, I reconciled myself that I was indeed getting older and I now follow my wife and Dr. Arocha's advice; and I suggest any of you guys getting older do the same.

It is a real ego let down, not to be pushing the weight to your personal best, and not have a new goal in mind at the gym; but its best for your longterm health.

Remember if you want your hair to be growing when you are 70, you have to live to 70 first.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians