Scalp Numbness

Abby

I'm 6 months post op and still a little numb in the graft area. However, it's getting better slowly and I've heard this is normal.

I don't know if it's connected but as the numbness goes away the hair seems to grow more and more.

• Moderators

It's been 19 years since my 1st HT (13 years since the last one) and the entire recipient area is still numb. The numbness never went away.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Anything over 1 year would be an unusual case. I would say it's not unusual for numbness to last around 6 months, maybe longer. In my own case, numbness lasted around 8-9 months on my previous HT...hard to say exactly when...I just remember one day not feeling the numbness anymore. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by BeHappy:

It's been 19 years since my 1st HT (13 years since the last one) and the entire recipient area is still numb. The numbness never went away.

Is not possible that the methods used then may have slightly primitive compared to todays technology, i,e needles, aneasthetic doses etc etc.

Depends and how many HT you have had. Numbness is surface nerves that were severed that have to regrow so to speak.

I had numbness over a year.

SMOOTHY

Dr. Shapiro

Propecia/Rogain xtra

MSM/Saw Pallmetto/Zinc

Nioxin Shampoo line

Zrii 3oz daily

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Abby

The numbeness does get improve over the period of time. If you think it will be 100% normal it will never be. There is always some residual numbness that prsist.

What you will feel is when you touch your hair the sensation is 100% normal but when you touch your skin on scalp its about 80% or so. The reason is when we make sites they tend to damage the fine network of nerves and when we place the grafts in those slits, the base rest on those nerves and it does not grow further to the skin, so you will feel 100 on the hair as they rest on nerves, but the surrounding area develop sensation from surrounding neves so that is why you have some reduced sensation.

The important factor is that it des not really cause any hinderance in your daily life.

It is precisly this reason that if your headache triggering factor is cold brease then due to reduce sensation your headache does get better.

---

I am a medical advisor to Lexington International and Hairmax. What ever I say is my personal opinion.

Dr. Mohmand is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network