Top surgeons for hair line and crown work

beanz

I've been perusing this board for years now to help with my research on choosing the right doc.

I'm moving closer to scheduling consultations and plan on a September surgery date.

I'm very impressed with all the feedback/reviews that I have read about Drs. Hasson & Wong and Dr. Shapiro.

I have this unusual diffuse thinning pattern. For the frontal hairline I just need it to look a little stronger and I need the temples filled in slightly. I don't want grafts behind the hairline. The crown is where the diffuse thinning has took off.

I want my issues addressed in one session. I narrowed my preferred method to STRIP for optimal yield. Now the choice is which doc for both front and crown work. Recommendations?

Thanks

I've been perusing this board for years now to help with my research on choosing the right doc.

I'm moving closer to scheduling consultations and plan on a September surgery date.

I'm very impressed with all the feedback/reviews that I have read about Drs. Hasson & Wong and Dr. Shapiro.

I have this unusual diffuse thinning pattern. For the frontal hairline I just need it to look a little stronger and I need the temples filled in slightly. I don't want grafts behind the hairline. The crown is where the diffuse thinning has took off.

I want my issues addressed in one session. I narrowed my preferred method to STRIP for optimal yield. Now the choice is which doc for both front and crown work. Recommendations?

Thanks

Beanz---either way you go, your going to have your expectations exceeded.

When people ask me this question, it is hard, b/c my personal choice is clear, but my very close second choice was Dr. Wong.

My advice is this: If you can meet with both clinics in person, do it. You will be able to make a decision b/c one clinic will feel "right" for you.

There is no wrong decision here, imo....

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks Jason. Some time ago, I received a packet from the Shapiro Medical Group and a DVD titled, 'American Medical Review'. I'm planning on scheduling a consultation with Dr. Shapiro sometime this month in July.

If I choose Dr. Ron Shapiro, will he be involved in my surgery or will I have to pay extra for him to perform the surgery? How involved will Dr. Shapiro be?

I live in the Chicago suburbs and Minnesota is a much more convenient location to have surgery. I can easily drive home in privacy the day after surgery; however, I'm not ruling out Vancouver.

I've seen some beautiful crown work by Hasson & Wong and hairlines that are aesthetic works of art by Dr. Shapiro.

I've consulted with other doctors in the past 2 years in what were both positive and negative experiences.

From my research, it appears Hasson & Wong perform larger sessions. I'm looking to have 2500 grafts transplanted. Do you have any before/after pictures posted of your transplant?

Does Dr. Shapiro use the lateral slit technique?

beanz,

It's ultimately going to come down to who impresses you the most. Hasson and Wong and Dr. Shapiro are first-rate. As Jason said, we all make our personal choices what we feel is right for us.

My surgical hair restoration journey was actually with 3 different surgeons however, as you can see from the links below, I chose Dr. Hasson for my third surgery and am very satisfied.

Spend time researching, consult with the physicians, and look through patient photos to make your decision.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by beanz:

Thanks Jason. Some time ago, I received a packet from the Shapiro Medical Group and a DVD titled, 'American Medical Review'. I'm planning on scheduling a consultation with Dr. Shapiro sometime this month in July.

If I choose Dr. Ron Shapiro, will he be involved in my surgery or will I have to pay extra for him to perform the surgery? How involved will Dr. Shapiro be?

I live in the Chicago suburbs and Minnesota is a much more convenient location to have surgery. I can easily drive home in privacy the day after surgery; however, I'm not ruling out Vancouver.

I've seen some beautiful crown work by Hasson & Wong and hairlines that are aesthetic works of art by Dr. Shapiro.

I've consulted with other doctors in the past 2 years in what were both positive and negative experiences.

From my research, it appears Hasson & Wong perform larger sessions. I'm looking to have 2500 grafts transplanted. Do you have any before/after pictures posted of your transplant?

Does Dr. Shapiro use the lateral slit technique?

Hey Beanz--- I from the south suburbs--moved to NW Indiana to go to school--so I completely understand--I drive to Minnesota--takes about 7 hours (less if my brother drives icon_biggrin.gif)

I'll try to answer your questions:

1. Dr. Shapiro will be involved in every step of your procedure and no he does not charge extra. His fees are 5.00 for the 1st 2000 grafts and 3.00 for any grafts thereafter. You can talk to Matt Zupan about a travel discount for our out of town patients.

2. 2500 grafts is no problem--in fact we have done many surgeries over 3000 and some over 4000 grafts, but on the average H&W do larger sessions than SMG does.

3. Yes, do a search and you will see my before and afters of 2 sessions. However, I was a type 6 --so also do a search and you will see SMG patients who have levels of loss similar to your own for reference.

4. Yes, Dr. Shapiro uses the lateral slit---mostly in the crown, or in the lateral hump region. In a recent demonstration, Dr. Wong and Dr. Shapiro transplanted a patient using both methods side by side--there was no difference, which is a testament to physician skill, not the technique.

Hope that answers your questions?

BTW--when are you going up to Minn? I might be going up sometime after the 18th to have another session---we might run into each other.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Jason - Thanks for answering my questions. I'm going to call the office on Monday and inquire about a consultation for the week of July 20.

Androgenic alopecia is a downer; however, the most painful part of this traumatic experience is just staying idle and slowly watching the inevitable unfold before your eyes when you get up each morning and take that first look in the mirror.

I'm optimistic that this consultation will be a positive experience. Thanks again.

Since you are already in the Chicago land area schedule an appointment w/ Dr. Konior. You don't have to leave the state to get 1st class work. There is no charge to have a consultation. Dr. Konior isn't as active as others, but that does NOT take away from his abilities as being a top notch Dr.

Good luck!

3147 ish) grafts Dr. Konior

No meds.

A good way to figure out who is best if distance/traveling and convenience are important is to do a search of all coalition docs. within a couple hundred mile radius, at least two in this radius are Konior and Shapiro (both are excellent and two of the better physicians at this of all coalition docs, IMO) but then I would expland the search to anywhere in the country (or Vancouver) and if one is what you consider the "best" and you are sold on your research, dont let distance get you down.

You probably dont have to drive far though, Chicago is a good location to be in, distance wise, from two of the top docs.