My follicular journey

pushing 40

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One week away!! Having a hard time with the scalp exercises because of the herniated disks in my neck. Have to be very careful putting pressure on the back of my head in any direction as it causes lasting pain. My luck Dr. Hasson will say "darn, we can only get 67 grafts"....... Oh well, hoping for the best. Still very nervous about the flight but I'm going to just go for it and try to relax. Today is the first really nice warm day we've had in months here and I oh so want to take the bike out but fear hurting myself putting on the damn helmet. I wanted to ride a lot up to leaving for Vancouver since I won't be able to ride for a few weeks after surgery. My wife wants to ride also but won't ride without me out of pity. This sucks.

Hang in there, Pushing..................you're gettin' close! I'm sure when Doc Hasson is done with you the term "chia pet" will come to mind ;^)

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I better NOT look like a chia pet when they're done! icon_smile.gif I am getting more and more nervous every day. BUT, finally some warm weather here and I spent most of the day on the motorcycle yesterday and today. Man was that nice. There were lots of bikes out too. Saw some young morons riding in a group and doing wheelies on a crowded busy street. Idiots. They see my wife and I and think we want to do the same crap since we have expensive Super Sport bikes. Not. I know what pains is and the permanance of death. No thanks.

Only a few more days til i'm in the chair. Yikes.

And thanks for the compliments on my wife guys! I'm a lucky guy. And the "why we do it anyway" statements were exactly in line. I just want to look like I feel.

And I haven't mentioned lately how much I'm still enjoying retirement! Damn this is nice!! Its 3pm and I just got back from the tanning salon and now I'm enjoying some espresso! icon_wink.gif

Dude your wife is looking good my friend!!!!!!!!

Congrats on new hair and having someone who loves you for who you are, regardless of hair or no hair.

BTW, I wouldn't post to many more of those pics...... some of the guys here may start showing up unannounced!!!!!!!!!

Take Care 40,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

As a matter of fact, if you or anyone else who is there in Vancouver would like to stop by the night of my surgery to "inspect the goods" after I'm done, just let me know. Wait....that doesn't sound good....I mean "check out my scalp post surgery". Yeah, that sounds better. Seriously, I wouldn't mind a bit. Might help to ease your worry. Or then again it might scare the hell out of you!

Pushing 40.........You're gonna be fine. You are in good hands. I do recommend taking a hand held mirror to check it out after you are back in your room. I broke the hotel wall mounted mirror trying to get a top view.

Good idea rj. Well, I get on a plane in the morning. I feel like right now all I'm capable of focusing on is the blank wall in front of me. Ever notice all the funny patterns you start seeing when you stare long enough at something? Seriously, I am a nervous wreck. I'm sure I'll be fine though as many of you have reminded me. I guess I'll be moving on from #1 obsession (do I do it or not) to #2 obsession (was this the right thing to do, will it grow right, will it look good?). Hopefully by New Years this will all be behind me.

pushing 40,

So your big day is 2 days from now...I know you are a nervous wreck. If you want to talk brother, my offer still stands. PM me if you want to talk on the phone about anything...perhaps to prep and pep you for the big day. You will be FINE bro...Dr. Hasson will treat you well.

Bill

Much Love Bro'!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see the results!!!!!!!

PS--folica-- don't pull too hard buddy!!!!!! J/K-- you want to keep as much hair as you can!!!!!

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

C'mon pushing......we're all waiting to see the pics and here about your journey??

Hope all went well and you're now mezmorized by the new hair stubble on your head. Post when you can...

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Dude,

Your -1 day post op- looks crazy clean.. looks like an amazing hairline in the works. 5K in that area should leave your hair looking out of this world...I think I will have hairline envy in 8months...good growth and healing 40...you should change your handle from pushing 40 to 40-oz now cause your hair could become gangsta.

Thanks Bay! I've shyed away from gangsta names so far but maybe I'll change that now icon_smile.gif. This is really starting to be crazier than I thought.

I dug out one of the only photos I have from when I was 19 and shaved my head in basic training. My hairline right now is no more than a centimeter above what it was then. How crazy is that??

The swelling is really bad also. My forehead and temple area beside my eyes are ballooned out almost a half an inch.

Pushing40,

I normally don't say or even abbreviate curses...but you are going to be ONE HAIRY SOB!!!!

That's an amazing amount of grafts in the frontal area dude! In about 6-12 months, you are not going to be able to recognize that young man in the mirror except for comparing yourself to high school pictures!

One word: PHENOMINAL!

Bill

The swelling is really bad also. My forehead and temple area beside my eyes are ballooned out almost a half an inch.

LOL...yes, you will look like Elephant man for a few days...but don't worry...it will go away. Just probably don't want to go out in public for a few days bro. Hang tight and let your gorgeous wife take care of you icon_wink.gif

Bill

Thanks Bill! That's my plan!

Yeah, those puppies are packed in there pretty tight. I didn't realize how many hairs there actually are until I got home and was able to get a really close look with a magnifying mirror; holy crap!! Standing back looking at it and it looks like there is little places with no hairs. But then up close its like "holy crap" there ARE hairs in there. Doc Hasson did a great job.

Something else that is funny: my wife and kids have never even seen me with a hairline like this. They are really tripping out.

They will REALLY be tripping out in 6 months to a year. As you know, be prepared to say goodbye to the little treasures between 2 weeks to a month....but they will return again slowly. Just a forewarning as you probably have read from many posts....they WILL NOT all start regrowing at once...it will take place over time. Here's a funny statement that you probably won't listen to but here goes: Try not to look in the mirror too much after the little guys fall out. I already know you will ignore this advice...heck, I ignore my own advice on this. It's hard not to look in the mirror...but as Spex says over and over again "A Watched kettle never boils".

Oh and as tempting as it is, don't play with the grafts until at least 10 days. I mean...take care of them as per post op instructions....but I know for me it was tempting to put my hands on them and rub back and forth like a buzz cut. It was fun to do after 10 days though!

Bill