Dr. Theodore Katz

russtaman

Dr. Theodore Katz is a former long-term surgeon with Bosley Medical and he was also with MHR for a short time after he left Bosley.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Are you talking about Dr Theodore Katz near Philadelphia? If so, I've just had an HT with Dr. Katz. Surgery went without a hitch, and I'm on day 2 now. Stitches aren't noticable in the back as my hair covers it nicely (even though my hair is short) and my surgery looks like everyone elses, red and white dots on the top of my head with follicles placed in them. 1600 grafts were placed.

Ok, for those who want to know more, I will share. I am 27 years old, with pretty much a straight line hair loss, very thin in the front, balding badly in the back. i am going to attempt to post pictures if I can find out how on this site, both of before and 2 day post surgery (that being today). For those interested, I will keep everyone posted as things progress.

First Picture is before surgery taken July 2004.

Second Picture is today (2 days after surgery)

Bill

MVC-004F.JPG

Hey, I think we need to give people a chance, until proven otherwise. I can well understand someone starting off working for a hair clinic ( how else do they get training/experience ? ) then leaving it behind and doing better.

>>>> East Coast >>>>

I see Dr. Katz's website sites on the expressway. They are insulting.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Please be specific. What do they say that is insulting ?

Bill,

Thanks for the update and the pics. There is not a whole lot said about Dr. Katz on this forum so I, for one, would love to see you up date on your progress.

If you would like an easier way to upload photos, go to "New" at the top of this page and under it you will see "Photo Alubum." After you click that, just decide which forum you want it to be located in ("Post Your Own Hair Transplanted Photos" is probably best) and upload your photos there. You can upload as many as you want. If you have any questions, just "Private Message" me. This reaches me by emial and I check it daily.

Welcome to the forums.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Eastcoast,

I am going to have to ask you to curb your opinions down just a little and let Dr. katz's results speak for themselves. I do not think that it is fair to judge a physician solely on his previous affiliations and to give his name a black mark before you have even seen his work or witnessed any of his previous patients' experiences.

Your quote that to have worked for Bosley was a "good sign of bad character" is borderline slanderous as well. If you have had experience with Dr. Katz and you would like to share your experience, then by all means, I would love to hear it. If not, then please let his patients speak about their experiences - good or bad - and you can chime in on what you think of the results.

I may hear some grumbling about this but I do not care. This is the only way to be fair to patients and physicians. It is NOT fair to badmouth anyone - physician or anyone else - that you have had no personal experience with. I would not tolerate someone badmouthing a member (for example: you) nor will I tolerate a member badmouthing a physician without a credible claim.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Hey Bill please keep us updated! I was wondering about Dr. Katz's work because he is close to where I live and would save me from traveling far. By the way, what are his rates per graft and/or what was the totel cost of your HT?

Thank you all for your comments, and thank you Forum Moderator also for your help and ethical remarks. I also don't think it's fair to speak negatively about a physician without having a personal experience to share.

I will certainly keep you all posted. I will attempt to post some more pictures on here, and/or on the photos page, which ever one I find easier =).

As you can see according to the pics, I still have some hair on top and still have a pretty steady hairline (although very thin at that). The surgery I had was an all around fill in of 1600 grafts, 800 in the front, and 800 in the back. This is my first time getting an HT, so I will see how the results are, and then consider getting a second (and hopefully last) one as I lose more hair, etc.

My experience of Dr. Katz thus far:

The surgery day went very well. He and I had some really good talks during the surgery as he really put my mind at ease during the whole process. He was very gentle and took his time to really do a good job. In the process, as he was removing the hair from the back, he was telling me that he deems the back as important as the front in that he does the job in such a way so that there is minimal scarring. Of course, I will let you all know how that is later down the road. Basically, the surgery went very well, and he made the process very easy. As far as the "experience", I would definately go to him again. As far as results, well, I'm a newbie and never experienced HT before, so that's why I am here...to share my results!

I am going to attempt to post some pics now!

Please feel free to share any more opinions, etc.

Oh, by the way, the cost of the HT was 7000 for 1600 Grafts which from what I can see seems comparable.

Bill

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

First off, just wanted to say I have been "lurking here" for over a year and I have decided who I will see for my HT after very much research and agonizing so thanks, especially to the veterans here like arfy, etc.

Just my 2 cents on Dr Katz: I was there for a consult and felt very pressure by his salesman, Gerry. He seemed like he had his hand in my pocket the whole time trying to get me to put a deposit down by staying stuff like "girls don't like bald men." I wasn't impressed with the doc's manner either, he seemed really rushed and told me he was trained by Dr Bosley which I can't really look at as a positive. He also worked for MHR and now has his own place with few photos or references.

I did not "sign up" that day and decided to research a little more. I ran them both through Google to see what might pop up and I found that the salesman Gerald Olkus, has soon kind of shady background, is banned from doing business with the Dept of Defense, and was convicted of a felony in NJ, something to do with heating oil. I had a friend of mine (paralegal) check it out further and he turned up an indightment for racketeering and fraud and money laundering. Needless to say, I can't imagine what he's doing in a position of trust in a doc's office selling hair transplants with no background in the field. I also have to wonder why this doc would hired a convicted felon and why he didn't do a background check. I asked and was never called back.

So watch your back in that office and check it out for yourself before you make a decision.

Good luck.

If you are consulting in Philadelphia stay away from Dr. Gallagher and Tom Spatula. I was severely butchered by them. Tom is a pathological liar and a complete loser. I ran his address and the Doctors address for a lawsuit. I am going to run a check on Tom. I can't believe Dr. Gallagher would let him Tom represent him.

Hi haretoday,

Well, I'm not realy sure how to reply to your post. I never did do the background on Gerry nor did I feel necessarily that he was pressuring me when I was in there for a consultation. My wife was in there with me too, and he said nothing like "women don't like bald men", and he basically told me the decision is up to me, and to think about it for a couple days, without any pressure. I won't dismiss your experience of course, but mine was not like that.

As far as the background check on him...that seems a bit bazaar to me. What made you do a background check on him? I am sure if you did a background check on a lot of people in this world working for professionals, you would probably come up with some dirt, etc...so his past seems irrelevant to me. That being said, since Gerry doesn't do the HT, it is a moot point, I believe, at least to me. Besides, even if it was an issue, can you really confirm that this Gerald you found on the internet is the same guy? Could it be another guy with the same name?

My experience with Dr. Katz was very pleasant overall...or as pleasant as surgery can be. yes, there was a bit of pain, very little, and some pain and a bit of swelling over the next couple days (all considered normal). Take a look at the progress pics in the picture forum for a better look at my progress. I am 3 months out now and noticing some decent changes. It has a long way to go still, but that seems typical at this stage from what I have read.

Unfortunately, most of the posts here that involve Dr. Katz for whatever reason are a bit slanderous, and ironically, none of the people who have posted have had an HT with Dr. Katz. I'd like to hear some opinions from other people who have had an HT with him. Am I the only crazy/lucky one who has had a good experience? Look at my scar in my pics? Barely detectable...just a little red still (still normal), and the growth has begun as anticipated. (very exciting). What more can I say? Should I defend Dr. Katz? I feel I should to some degree because so far I'm pleased with what I am seeing, and the surgery day went smoothly too. Any people here have an opinion that had surgery with him? The end all to me is this: How did someone's HT turn out and what was their experience like?

That's a rap for me for now! I'd like to hear other perspectives on this. It gets a little tiresome reading posts like this from people who have never got an HT from a doctor.

Bill