hair transplant advice with pics

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, if 'no hair sux' is not happy with his receding hairline, he should go for the HT. I know that I wasn't happy with my receding hairline, even though many people told me that I didn't need an HT. I ended up getting two HT's and am very happy at the difference that they made. In fact, I'm thinking of an FUE procedure to fill in the cracks!

As previously mentioned, the chances of Propecia helping a lot on hairline aren't always good, which I believe is the area that 'no hair sux' is concerned about. I also believe that the same goes with Rogaine. Like Propecia, it is known to work better on the crown area.

So, in my opinion, 'no hair sux' should continue with the Propecia and also consider getting an HT if he's not happy with his current situation.

No Hair, while I certainly feel your pain, I think it might be a tad early to start doing HT's. My reason for this is when I look at your level of hairloss I see a potential for doing many small sessions, as opposed to attacking your "core" with density. Of course, this is simply my opinion, but I think we have to be wary when we become overly concerned with periphery (ie. temples, lowered hairlines, etc...) and not a long-term strategy.

Now, could a doctor give you a nice temple fill in, and bring that hairline down a bit? Sure.

Could you be happy for the next 2,5, 10 years? You Bet!!

Could you also accelerate your frontal zone hairloss? Yep.

Could you be forced to do a series of smaller (1000, 1500) sessions to "stay ahead" of your hairloss? You bet!

This is both sides of the coin, and BOTH perspectives should be considered. I think you have gotten some good advice for right now, which is stay on meds, see if they work, and then possibly attack your frontal zone with 2500 or more grafts at one shot.

It just comes down to what you are comfortable with and willing to go through to treat YOUR situation.

I think Kamin is right on when he says that it may be tough to get 50cms using only 1500 grafts.

Anyway, look around, do some consults and keep thinking it through. In the end it is your decision.

Hope this helps you out!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

thanks for the advice. trust me, i'm not looking to rush into anything. i've been reading everything i can get my hands...err...eyes on. i'm giving meds a year and then making my decision.

i'm in total agreement about future loss; in fact, that's my biggest concern regarding having something done at this stage. maybe i'll get a little worse, maybe i'll get a lot worse....it's like rolling dice!

who knows, maybe that hm stuff will work and i can avoid an HT icon_razz.gif

Hell at 34 with your hairloss I think you are in a pretty good position to have the hairline you want without depleting your donor.

I personally would not bring the hairline down any further and just make the receeded hairline less receeded into a mature hairline. It is a good feeling at about 3-4 months post op when you start to see your more youthfull hairline returning.

Of course if you havent been on the meds before I would give them a while to see what they could do for you before going down the HT route.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Jake says you're 34, no hair. I don't see where you indicated your age, but if you're in your 30's I've no idea how it can be too soon for an HT if you want one.

I'd be considering augmenting your temples and going for a bit more thickness up front.

In your 30's I think it has to come down to your donor hair and your pocket book.

mark h

i wrote my age in the first post icon_razz.gif

actually, i'm 35 now. i think it's about the right age to start looking into things. definitely DON'T want a huge scar though. i'm really getting excited about this HM talk and wondering if i should hold out. ahhhhh, decisions icon_eek.gif

i definitely appreciate all the advice...this place is like cheap therapy icon_biggrin.gif

assuming money is not an issue (after all, we go out and buy a $30K car) I don't see why you should stay on propecia for ever when a HT will fix up nicely. I doubt propecia will ever restore your temples so a HT seems inevitable. At your age, you seem in a good spot donor wise, and I'd say that 2500-3000 will fill in your temples and front leaving more than enough donor for any future HT should it be needed. of couse this is just an opinion. Personally I hate pills, and while many say that propecia is safe, I wouldn't take it for too long. You have a choice.

Originally posted by no hair sux:

i'm really getting excited about this HM talk and wondering if i should hold out. ahhhhh, decisions icon_eek.gif

Hair Multiplication is still a pipe dream. I would say it at least 8 years away from commercial reality. I think its still unknown how many extra grafts it will supply and how much it will cost.

Jake,

I'm starting to have more faith in the coming of HM within the next 10 years. It hasn't been posted on this site, but the UK government provided Intercytex with a 1.85 million pound grant just recently. This made mainstream news!

If HM goes to plan, it should increase our donor area infinitely. Then we can all head off to Armani for dense packing/low hairlines lol.

oh, i would stay on propecia, even with an ht. hairloss moves onward and, well, upward unless it's impeded with something. luckily i haven't had any sides with the medication.

i don't think hm is a pipe dream so much anymore. like htown said, it's gaining momentum. hopefully everyone will know where it stands by this time next year after some more trials are done. call me an optimist icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by htownballa:

Jake,

I'm starting to have more faith in the coming of HM within the next 10 years. It hasn't been posted on this site, but the UK government provided Intercytex with a 1.85 million pound grant just recently. This made mainstream news!

If HM goes to plan, it should increase our donor area infinitely. Then we can all head off to Armani for dense packing/low hairlines lol.

Guys even if it is a reality in the next 10 years it is probably not going to produce an infinite donor supply.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1890357,00.html

But a spokesman from the Trichological Society, Barry Stevens, has warned that it was not a 'cure' for baldness: 'Most men will lose more hair than they can have replaced from the same head.'

Guys even if it is a reality in the next 10 years it is probably not going to produce an infinite donor supply.

Jake,

The definition of HM is to produce an infinite donor supply. However, traditional hair transplant techniques will still need to be used to implant the multiplied follicles on the patient's head. I think your quote is referring to the limitations of dense packing by the surgeon- no matter how much donor the surgeon has to work with, he won't be able to replicate natural densities of those without any hairloss.

Originally posted by htownballa:

Jake,

The definition of HM is to produce an infinite donor supply. However, traditional hair transplant techniques will still need to be used to implant the multiplied follicles on the patient's head. I think your quote is referring to the limitations of dense packing by the surgeon- no matter how much donor the surgeon has to work with, he won't be able to replicate natural densities of those without any hairloss.

Ummm, no HM or Hair Multiplication is not Hair Cloning - it does not grow new hair. If it does work it splits the bulb of the follicle into 2 or more parts which hopefully will produce a living hair follicle. I am also curious as to how many hairs can be created with a single follicle but if its only 2 or 3 than that will not mean an infinite donor supply.

either way, IMO, hoping it comes is not a good strategy--unless you have no other option (i.e, you're a #7 or have bad donor). Why wait 10-15 years for something that may never come when a thin scar or fue will solve the problems for most?

john: unfortunately, i don't have access to family history since i was adopted. i hope things will start to settle down up there. i see your point about waiting. hm or whatever miracle cure may be 10 years away. i would rather just get it over with now

i understand that hm is taking a sample of 100 or so hairs and creating (x) cells that they implant via a needle. with one sample you can have as many as you need. i think quality and direction would be the biggest issue

• 1 month later...