One month and still holding on?

Hey Fellas,

Question for those with experience:

It's been almost a month since my first HT and I still seem to be holding on to many of the hairs that were transplanted. I would estimate a bit over 50% remain and seem to be healthy & growing. I'm washing my hair normally & often run my hands over & through the transplanted hairs.

Do you suppose these hairs have survived enough to continue growing & shedding normally or do you think it is more likely I will lose most of them sooner than later?

I'm not stressing at all, I understand it would be very normal for them to all fall out & go into a resting phase...just curious to know if anyone kept most of their transplanted hair?

2967 Total Grafts w/ Dr. Cooley on 1/3/07 [1st HT]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

Hey Fellas,

Question for those with experience:

It's been almost a month since my first HT and I still seem to be holding on to many of the hairs that were transplanted. I would estimate a bit over 50% remain and seem to be healthy & growing. I'm washing my hair normally & often run my hands over & through the transplanted hairs.

Do you suppose these hairs have survived enough to continue growing & shedding normally or do you think it is more likely I will lose most of them sooner than later?

I'm not stressing at all, I understand it would be very normal for them to all fall out & go into a resting phase...just curious to know if anyone kept most of their transplanted hair?

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

It seems that the constant bathing with epsom salts may have interferred with the normal process of shedding, I told you. I believe you should contact your doctor at once and tell him what you have done, perhaps he can recommend a remedy to offset the problems your created. I hope all turns out well for you.

Well, there seems to be a few chaps who hold on to some transplanted hair, but by and large, most grafts do fall out.

I think you will probably lose more transplanted hairs in the next week or two, but again, it is not set in stone.

What you do is this: Look closely at the native hair you transplanted around and see if there are a few hairs sticking up here and there. In the next few weeks it will be obvious that some of the transplanted hair has not fallen out, but it is not growing either.

I will say that I think it is great that you still have so many individual hairs still left over from your HT. I know it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy thinking 5-6 months down the road icon_smile.gif

Question: Did you use Graftcyte shampoo's, concentrated spray, and compresses in the Graftcyte kit?

Thanks

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

It is possible that some of these hairs will not shed but it is more likley that they will. In either case there is nothing to be concerned about. Just as some people are slow/quick healers, some will sprout new hairs slower/faster than others. I would assume this applies to shedding as well.

NoBuzz

LOL...oh no, I damaged the normal shedding process icon_biggrin.gif

B-Spot, Yep, I used the Graftcyte shampoo and concentrated spray, but not the compresses (didn't have the kit).

thanks nobuzz, no worrying here at all, as i said just curious to know if anyone else might have retained more than 50% of their transplanted hairs instead of the typical post surgical shedding process?

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to remember but I can't, sorry. It must not have been long because I remember not being bothered by waiting for the regrowth. I think it was probably gradual, some went while others were regrowing so there was no period of noticeable hairlessness. I will pay more attention to this as I am going through the paces with this latest HT and I will report here.

According to my Doc... Some people lose very little, but most lose a significant amount of it within 6 weeks.

Everyone is different... and it is more individual based, versus how you treat your hair during that month. It's more about how your body handles trama and stress, how you heal in general, hormone chemistry and your DNA.

If it were what we did that determined the shedding result... there would be a clear one size fits all answer that would be well understood by now.

Bill:

Some grafts will hold on longer than others. There is a possiblility that some of them will hold on and not go into the resting phase...but don't count on it . I anticipate you will lose them in the next few weeks or so.

Well for the record, Bill was right. It's been about 6 weeks now since my HT and I would estimate only about 10-20% of the hair transplanted to my temples remain. I have the impression (by feel) that more than 20% of the hair transplanted to my crown remains (50%?).

Since the HT in my case is not very interesting or dramatic, I'll not post frequent progress pics, but I will post some after photos at the end of 2007 (maybe a 6 month shot if I remember).

I don't really think about the HT much anymore, but I am looking forward to going through the "reverse balding process" during the second half of this year. Should be interesting, for sure.

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog