had surgery with dr h. rahal at the age of 20

Byehair- this was the whole incentive of me to open this thread in the first place- opinion opinion opinions...

yes indeed future surgery was on the cards but coming in this respect i.e. having to work on something that was the amin issue of the first one was not the incentive. but what must be done must be done im afraid and thats the bitter truth.

3608 grafts with dr h.rahal, june 2007

1623 grafts- dr h. rahal, november 2008

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you're going for an appearance with more thickness, I thought I'd ask if you have used any concealers such as DermaMatch or any of the others? With the work you've had done and the good results you have so far, I'll bet you'd have exactly what you're looking for if you could master the application of a good concealer.

Either way, looking good dude!

I think IF you've got another 3500 grafts you should use 1500 in the front 1000 in the mid 1/3 and leave 1000 in hopes for future advancements such as cloning. It appears for the area you had to cover and the few amount of grafts that you used to cover that area it was a success. I do have to say that it definatly is thinner in the front then I would personally like, but its a MAJOR improvent.

Azza,

I had a HT with another coalition physician. I am about 6 months out and while my result is very thin, it looks mostly natural.

Your case helps me understand the wisdom of planting a slightly receded hairline. If you've only got 40-50% of your native density, and the doctor plants a low hairline, it cannot look natural or good. However, it is not uncommon to see thin hair and recession together. Also, a higher hairine means the Dr. can plant at a higher density because he has less ground to cover.

Your current result almost _requires_ that you get an immediate follow-up. Given the fact that Rahal knew you would need to go back for a second "in 5 to 6 years", why did he not plant a hairline that stands on its own from a naturalness standpoint? If you know you are going to return at a later date, then you can always lower the hairline.

I really do not think this was well planned by Rahal. He has demonstrated great technical and artistic abilty, but I would say his decision making in your case was flawed. Either that or there was a problem with yield.

Good luck.

Azza,

I think the best thing to do at this point is to consult with Dr. Rahal in person so he can examine your scalp and determine the growth yield. I'm certain that he will do all he can to make sure you are satisfied while taking into account your future hair loss and long term game plan. He has an excellent track record with a high level of patient care.

But as much as we'd like them to, no physician bats a 1000. If some hair didn't grow in and behind the hairline, I'm certain that he will do all he can to make things right.

Please keep us posted on your situation.

Best wishes,

Bill

firstly let me say what a surprise i got when i saw 10 different replies waiting for me at the same time on this forum. thanks for that

yes definately, as Bill says meeting up is the way forward right now and yes indeed both myself and dr rahal have agreed on this as the best plan for action first and then take it from there. hopefully hopefully, i would most lkely meet him in july sometimes.

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

• 3 months later...
I really do not think this was well planned by Rahal. He has demonstrated great technical and artistic abilty, but I would say his decision making in your case was flawed. Either that or there was a problem with yield.

There are so many mentions about # of grafts, density and the large surface of the recipient area of Azza786. However, there is only one post that mentions a possibility of problem with the yield. 3608 grafts is a huge amount, regardless of the size of the recipient area, and based on the picture, IMO, a lot of it did not survive. This leads to the question of whose fault is it: Dr. Rahal handling of the grafts during the surgery or the patient's scalp does not take implants well. IMO, based on the 2 day - up to 1 month post-op pictures, Dr. Rahal did a very good job planning the HT.

Azza786 mentioned a density of 40 grafts/cm2 and bverotti calculated a density of 27 grafts/cm2, but based on the 1 yr pics, it looks much less than 27 grafts/cm2. Draw a cm2 on a piece of paper and put 27 dots with a pencil and compare.

On a separate note, we are all here to get an honest opinion, not cheerleading. It does not help the patient to say the result looks good, when it is clearly not.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I must admit, i thought i was in bad shape. Such extensive hairloss at your age must have been detrimental.

know that you are not the only young one here having had a HT, both me and Thanopsy_awry had one at 21 (though i am the only one scheduled for a 2nd as far as i know)

but i am only a NW2.5

Never the less, best of luck in the future. Are you going to wait a while to see if there is any further shedding, or are you scheduling for a second one?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

latin lotus- not long to go till i go to canada so all shall be revealed there and then.

mike the dane- ye ofcourse it is detrimental. im kinda lucky as of now that my donor hair is good so i can always go back for future surgerys (not that im going to deplete them all in the next few years!). i just want to reach the goal of having a nice non-seethrough hairline which i failed to achieve first time round. i am going back in november for a procedure of 1500-2000 grafts focusing on the hairline so heres hoping for the best!

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

Azza,

Have you considered going back for a larger session (not that Rahal would foot the bill for the whole thing) to address as much as can be done in the next pass?

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

thana,

you should know that for us young guys...its best to make wise use of the donor that we have. its all about long term planning isnt it. i feel that if the objective of this trip is accomplished, then it would get one major objective out the way. i would love to have a mega session (wouldnt we all)? but we all have different circumstances. i even consulted with H&W just to get an idea of what they feel and they quoted the same number of grafts as rahal did for this 'touch up' procedure.

im sure i will end up getting more than 1500 grafts but even if we keep it to the minimum and assume that i end up using 1500 grafts, that would be a combination of HT1 and HT2 of just over 5000 grafts!

az

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

• 4 weeks later...

hello people,

im back to update my HT biography lol. im now at 16 month post op and 1 month to go for HT number 2.

I have updated my blog today. please take a look. The pics consist of my hair which has recently been cut-- been about 1.5 weeks.

im also currently preparing for my second minor HT with scalp exercise

feel free to have a look.

chow for now!

az!

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man - best of luck with your 2nd ht - i too am having my 2nd ht shortly, 1?? months, this time with Dr. Devroye of belgium, for what i hope can be 3k grafts, for a total of 4.5k.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

• 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...
yes guyz, you may be alarmed at me having a transplant at such a young age.

but i have been really patient for the last 4 years when it all began and did my research.

i had a strip surgery with dr rahal with 3608 grafts and density of 70fu/cm2 at hairline, reducing the density the further back the grafts were placed.

in all honesty, the surgery went really good, im 4 days post-op, things are looking good. im kinda glad i chose the doctor i did and didnt fell a sucker with doctors back home in the UK

please have a look at my weblog and let me know what you think. i will keep you guyz posted so theres more to come!

this result was 70fu/cm2 at the hairline?

do you think docs lie about these figures?