Shout-Out To All You One-Month Hair-a-Thoners

Hi FacelessMan,

I am just over 1 month myself i think things are going to plan where most of my transplanted growth has shed and have not seen any real growth thus far. Since my redness has been gone for quite some time I am unsure as to where my eventual hairline will be! So yeah I have some anxious/excited times coming up in the coming months.

How about yourself? how are handling things at your end?

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

I too am just over a month and all my transplanted hairs are long gone for the time. Suffered some shock loss to the existing hair and look worse than I did pre op at the time. Cannot wait to get past this stage and get some hair growing. I know on my last HT I was worse looking until about month 2 or so when I started to look like myself pre op. Then in months 3 to 4 slowly started seeing some growth. Believe my shockloss is all about done as am not finding all those hairs in myhand when I shower anymore.

Hi all

Glad to hear you all are doing well. 1 month is soo early in the process. Be prepared to feel a couple of emotions in the next year.. Doubt, and impatience... BUT! Then elation, happiness and relief... Give yourself until 7 months or so to see a cosmetic difference or you will drive yourself crazy.. I've had 2 HT's and know what you feel..

Goodl luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I remeber hoping with in 3 months i would have a major cosmetic change, but the more i researched i saw it was more 5-8 months that the real changes happened. When I go for number 2 I wont even be thinking about changes for at least 5 months. The biggest hurdle is healing getting back to stage one so you can go one with your life while patiently waiting for the growth to come in. My guess at one month you all should have jumped that hurdle and be well on your way.

I remember with my last HT I didn't notice improvement until about 5 months or so, but my wife said I looked much better after 4 months, hard to tell yourself when you look at your head everyday. But others seem to notice sooner than yourself, I just want to get back to pre op hair, and hopefully like last time that will be in about a month or so

I'm getting close to my 6 month mark. 2-8-06 1500 with Dr. Cooley in Charlotte NC. Pretty much healed up completely in about a month. Other than the scar area which was a little sore and sometimes a little numb until about month 4. But nothing that really bothered me. A little neosporin helps and the lady who does my hair can't even find the scar. But like most I noticed a little growth starting after 3.5 months, but now it's starting to really get noticeable. So you really shouldn't expect much growth before about 5 months and like Dr. Cooley said about 6-8 months you really get alot of growth but give it about 12 months to really get the full affect. But time flies and I can't believe it's been almost 6 months. So be patient b/c it'll be over before you know. Also anyone considering a HT, Dr. Cooley is a great surgeon you can trust and he really cares.

Thanks for all the replies and good thoughts...for my part, things are progressing as I've read/heard they would, and I am eager to see this take shape. Once the front/top grow to a less odd-looking length and I can ditch the hats, the rest will be just a waiting game...

Glad to hear that everyone is progressing well. Keep growing!

Benjamin

• 1 month later...

fellow June HT patients,

how is everyone progressing? I am finally at the pre op looking stage with some other growth happening. When my hair is wet now I can see a bunch of the fine hairs coming in and I can definately feel a lot more hair. Cosmetically it isn't there yet, but it is only 3 months post op. Would take some pics but my camera is down right now, How is everyone else doing at the 3 month mark?

Hi all,

Just reached 3 months myself; there is definitely growth going on; in certain light I can see the "shadow" of hair on the recipient area, almost as I had during the first month or so after surgery.

It's interesting, and kind of cool to see how the hairs do their own thing...it looks like the hairline is growing first, and the hair in the temple points, as far as I can tell, never shed, and seems to be thickening, or at least blending in more to the sides.

I just got a much shorter-than-usual haircut, as well, to get the rest of my head more in synch with the top and temples...pictures coming to my blog soon, as part of my 3-month update, for any and all interested...

Good growth to everyone! Enjoy the ride...

Benjamin

Yep a little over 3 months myself, and I see a mixture of week wispy blonde hairs and some thin dark hairs (my natural colour). It is not particularly dense though and I can still see original hairline clearly. Though it definately has a cosmetic impact as I now have a weak hairline in pictures where before I was receeded.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

they are staying stubble. Does a late fallout also means late growth????

Originally posted by tkerr22:

not sure trojan, have heard from time to time some people don't have much fallout, have heard that others had theirs stay in for 2 months before they fell....are they growing or staying stubble??

Originally posted by TrOjAn:

they are staying stubble. Does a late fallout also means late growth????

Originally posted by tkerr22:

not sure trojan, have heard from time to time some people don't have much fallout, have heard that others had theirs stay in for 2 months before they fell....are they growing or staying stubble??

Watch for the skin immediately around the follicle getting red ("redder" than the pink glow from the transplant). If that happends you probably want to be more forceful in trying to get them out. You don't want the skin in that are to be irritated by a follicle that's stuck or something.

You should probably ask your doctor about it though.

I am almost 6 weeks post op and my recipient area is still very red. I have considerably less hair than pre op. At what point does the redness go away? I thought I would have started to look better by now but I still need a hat to go out in public.

z

I noticed in my last two HT's it took till about 3 month to get to where I was pre HT. As far as redness it all depends on the individual, I have very Irish skin and my redness stayed for about 6 months if not a little more. Didn't bother me though as the rest of my skin gets redish as well. at six weeks you have probably lost most of your transplanted hair and experienced some shock loss, this period till about 3 months or so is frequently on here called the ugly phase. You just have to stick it out, a lot of us have gone thru it recently, myself included. you are not alone in this situation so try the best to just hang in there for another month or so and things will start improving slowly.

I am just over one month, and it has been a difficult one. I had major shockloss and was getting depressed about it. I just want to thank all of you for talking about your stories and sharing the experience because it truly makes me feel so much better knowing that it will all get better with in the next few months. For now my hats are my best friends. Keep up the support guys and I wish you all thick growth...

Hey, I'm approaching the 3 week mark, so I'm in the ugly phase. I guess I'm lucky in a backhanded way though: my ugly phase looks about as good as I did pre op.

I wear a ballcap when I go out, but its mainly because of the redness that outlines my HT. If that goes away, I'm just a bald guy, and I can deal with that for a few months.

Heck, before my HT I was under the impression I actually had some frontal hair. What a joke. My baldness had happened so slowly that even after I recognized it was happening I didn't fully see it in the mirror.

Now, I'm just like Leon Spinks, "I ain't got nuthin' to lose!"

mark h