amount of graphs

JTB

I am pretty bald but have a thick donor area. I was told by my surgeon that I could get 1000 graphs per session. I told my surgeon that I saw pictures on the internet of people who received 2000 to 3000 graphs. He told me that his graphs included more then one hair. Does this sound reasonable?

JTB

I am pretty bald but have a thick donor area. I was told by my surgeon that I could get 1000 graphs per session. I told my surgeon that I saw pictures on the internet of people who received 2000 to 3000 graphs. He told me that his graphs included more then one hair. Does this sound reasonable?

JTB

JTB,

So he's saying his 1000 were equal to or better than 3000? Doubtful. You're most likely speaking with a doctor that still utilizes mini/micro grafting.

Most of the patients you are referencing have had follicular unit grafting where the grafts are simply the bundles of hair as they grow naturally in the scalp, in groupings of 1 to 4 hairs (average 2.3 per bundle).

This doctor, using mini/micros, determines the size of the grafts by including multiple bundles in each graft. Errr, no. Not good.

Besides, you should get as much as possible (toward your goals) in one session or two max instead of several. Less downtime, less scarring, less expensive, better growth.

Glad you asked the question. Now ask more so you can get a handle on what a great hair transplant doctor can do for you.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by JTB:

short answer is NO, it doesn't sound reasonable.It sounds like the advice i got from a doc that just wasn't up to the standard of the top doc's mentioned on this site. do plenty of research and be prepared to travel to get the best results from the best doc's.

HT2 2570 grafts Dr Feller

HT 2350 grafts Dr Epstein

Finax 1mg per day

nizoral 2% 3/week

MSM 3000 mg / day

TOTAL GRAFTS 4920

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=albumtopic&TOPIC_OID=6751014913&f=2566060861

JTB

That sounds like a horror story waiting to happen!!!

If you want good (read: undetectable) results, you want nothing other than FUT/FUE from a top doctor.

Your lucky you found this website JTB. Research is your friend!

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Hmmm...

I'll share this...I asked Dr. Feller (before my 4200-graft job) about the amount of grafts possible, and mentioned that I'd heard much smaller recommendations for my own scalp (1600-1800 grafts) in prior consultations. He was emphatic and confident that the amount he initially suggested for me -- which was 3000; we upped it later on -- was not only entirely possible, but the only worthwhile choice. In my case, I had a Norwood 3v-or-so situation combined with an "ideal" (thick as hell) donor area. He also thought that one reason why other doctors aim low may be that they can't do larger sessions.

My point being...I'd recommend that you try other doctors with megassession street cred -- Faller and H&W, among others -- and get their opinion of what your head and donor area will buy you. My opinion going into my own procedure was, I want the biggest possible yield in one shot, partly because I want to see a big difference when it grows and also because, having spent the last 2 weeks healing from this, and wearing a cap every day because of my funky hairstyle icon_smile.gif, I don't really want to do this more than I need to!

Hope this is of use to you...feel free to post photos if you like; there are plenty of guys here who know far more about this than I.

Benjamin

JTB

As many others have shared.............NO, this doesn't sound reasonable. I won't repeat what other posters have already shared regarding this. I will advise you to do some serious research on this site using the find feature, and ask you to start consulting with some of the Docs who are members of the Coalition and can be viewed on this link.

You said you're pretty bald...............how do you rank on the Norwood scale? What is your age?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by Michaellovesnyc:

Your Doctor is seriously misleading you and I detect a trace of dishonesty. ALL grafts, regardless of surgeon, include between 1-4 hairs on each graft. 1000 is nothing. I was not bald by a long shot and I got 2750 grafts. Many doctors suggested 2 treatments of 1250 each. Dr. Feller of Great Neck did it all in a single operation. TRUST ME; you want to MINIMIZE the number of procedures. It is less painful, less expensive and you will get faster results with less hair shock loss. Get as many done at first as you can; MINIMUM 3000 if you are really bald, if not 4500 if possible.

Where did you hear that you get less shockloss with a fewer no of procedures? I was told it was the other way around, less grafts, less trauma, less shock loss.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Hey Michaellovesnyc, I was wondering if you had any pre and post op pictures you could post. You said you weren't "bald by a long shot." What Norwood were you. Just curious so I can see what 2750 grafts would look like.

Jotronic is correct. The top doctors today perform pure Follicular unit transplantation. Hair grows naturally in what are called Follicular Units, which consist of 1 to 4 hairs. So transplanting them just as they occur in nature gives the most natural look. I received 2700 follicular units, which averaged 2.3 hairs per unit. Therefore I received approximately 6200 hairs.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

• 2 weeks later...