hair transplant cost to go down?

Hi guys

I was just wondering since more and more people are choosing hair transplants and costs have already come down. How long before it reaches $1 a graft, im talking about strip. so far the best prices ive seen are for about 3000 grafts for $9000, which is about $3 a graft..

main key is quality work, im not talking about the mills*************

1.25mg finasteride

drugstore.com 100 pills $225

quarter them

5% rogaine foam

samsclub $50 4 month supply

vanity my downfall

Hi guys

I was just wondering since more and more people are choosing hair transplants and costs have already come down. How long before it reaches $1 a graft, im talking about strip. so far the best prices ive seen are for about 3000 grafts for $9000, which is about $3 a graft..

main key is quality work, im not talking about the mills*************

1.25mg finasteride

drugstore.com 100 pills $225

quarter them

5% rogaine foam

samsclub $50 4 month supply

vanity my downfall

Naruto.

Welcome to our community.

Honestly, there is no real way to predict the cost of hair transplantation surgery. Whereas some physicians have come down in cost, others have gone up. With inflation, the general rule of thumb says that prices will eventually go up rather than down.

Keep in mind that though price is worth considering, it should be the LAST consideration in the process. Above price should come:

1. Education: Educate yourself about and research hair transplantation

2. Expectations and Goals: Developing realistic expectations regarding what you want to accomplish from your surgery (with research you will learn to be specific - rather than stating something like "a full head of hair")

3. Results: the quality of the results produced consistently by the clinic (this can be found by looking at countless before/after pictures

Anyway...from your last statement, it seems you know this, but never hurts to remind people icon_wink.gif

Bill

A HT is very labor intensive. If the Doc's want to keep quaity control consistent, they must retain thier Experienced Technicians.

Of course the longer an employee is with you & the more responsiblities & experience they gain, the more $$ they are worth.

In all, I believe there were 6 techs working on me for at least 9 hours, plus the doc. I paid $4.00 per graft.

I don't think the cost of a quality Ht will be coming down. It's not like computers or technology were they can speed up the process or get cheaper parts.

A quality Ht takes time & skill, both of which are at a premium!

Folica, well said.

With refinement of ht procedures--smaller incisions, bigger session sizes, labor intensity has certainly increased.

I did run across a website where they were advertising an internet special of $1 per hair. I'm not endorsing or encouraging, it's out there for those who are looking for bargains. I don't believe any informed prospective patient would enter those types of clinics.

Originally posted by Janna:

Folica, well said.

With refinement of ht procedures--smaller incisions, bigger session sizes, labor intensity has certainly increased.

I did run across a website where they were advertising an internet special of $1 per hair. I'm not endorsing or encouraging, it's out there for those who are looking for bargains. I don't believe any informed prospective patient would enter those types of clinics.

Hi Janna,

Good to hear from you. If that quote is correct, then $1 per hair is pretty close to $2.50 per graft, or not much less than getting a world-class doctor...

PS - I will send you my 12-month photos next week!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Originally posted by Naruto:

Hi guys

I was just wondering since more and more people are choosing hair transplants and costs have already come down. How long before it reaches $1 a graft?

Well it depends where you are looking...

Dr. Arvind Postwal already charges $1/graft and apparently a lot of people have been very happy with him. I couldn't find a single negative review OF HIS SURGICAL WORK (though there are plenty of negative reviews of his marketing practices).

Dr Damkerng Pathomvanich has been highly recommended by a number of Docs that are highly respected on this site. His patients seem to be very happy as well. Again, I could not find a negative review. He has also done a number of demonstration surgeries with Dr. Jerry Wong. He charges as little as $2.10 per graft if you get at least 3000. His price for 3000 is about $6300.

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.

Hi

Benchmark price is about $2.50- 3.50 a graft and then about .50 cents less after 2000.. Can't see the price going down but you can get discounts by doing a lastminute procedure when someone cancels

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

As the old sayng goes, "You get what you pay for"...and when it comes to a HT, that is not the time to look for a bargain!

I believe the reason Dr. Arvind Postwal and Dr Damkerng Pathomvanich charge the prices they do is because of location, the countries they operate out of have a lower living expense so they can charge less, also exchange rates play a big factor.

I really don't see HT prices going down anytime soon, most doctors I have been researching have actually raised their prices over the past five years. If I were you, I would do a lot of research and pic a few to consult with and ask if they could lower their prices to meet your budget.

I agree that you shouldn't look for the cheapest clinics, but you should also not have to be overcharged, as I believe some well-known clinics do. Just because some doctors charge a lot doesn't mean they are the best in the world or even good doctors, and just because some doctors charge less than others, it doesn't mean they aren't well qualified doctors. Just do research and trust yourself and your doctor.

Originally posted by stillhere:

I believe the reason Dr. Arvind Postwal and Dr Damkerng Pathomvanich charge the prices they do is because of location, the countries they operate out of have a lower living expense so they can charge less, also exchange rates play a big factor.

I dont agree that Dr. Arvind charges less because the living costs are less. In fact, I think he charges more.

But I have come across other doctors here in India who do crap work and charge rupees 50/- per hair, not graft.

Dr. Lokesh is one of them.

Then you see Dr. Rajput's patient Sahil who was told he got 2400 grafts...looked 1000 to me.

Excuse me, I am rambling I guess.

But one thing is true. Dr. Arvind does solid work and no unhappy patients. If one is searching value for money, Dr. A is worth researching. I have been in touch with his office and have met a few of his past patients. The results are impressive.

I wish he were cheaper icon_smile.gif 50 cents a graft will make me a happy man.

Originally posted by M&M:

Hi Janna,

Good to hear from you. If that quote is correct, then $1 per hair is pretty close to $2.50 per graft, or not much less than getting a world-class doctor...

PS - I will send you my 12-month photos next week!

Hi M&M,

Good to hear from you too. I look forward to your 12 months pics. Can't believe it's been a year already. Though it probably seemed a little slow for you.

• Moderators

I don't think it can go down any more. It's a pretty good deal now especially considering that you can achieve a much better appearance than in years past. Back in the late 80s and early 90s it cost between $18.50 and $23.50 per graft and it usually came out looking pluggy.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Janna makes a great point in this thread. Given the increased demand by the consumer for larger session sizes, Doctors and staff overhead have increased.

Personally, while we'd all love for ANYTHING to cost less, I believe the current pricing range of $4-$4.50 per graft for the first 2000 then a discount for more is very fair.

I do not believe pricing in the United States will be reducing further. To me, it is likely that we've reached the bottom and it will now creep upward with everything else as the cost of living increases.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

In the years past when price per graft were much higher, the session sizes were around 200 - 400 grafts. It looked pluggy because a graft sometimes contained up to 20 hairs. Thank goodness we are out of the dark ages, but as session sizes grew, new pricing structures had to be formed. Price per hair remains basically the same. IMO, the pricing is in line with other cosmetic procedures.

The current pricing seems pretty fair given the options and quality the consumers get from many top doctors at the top of their game. There are doctors who cater to the rich and famous who charge double or triple the standard fees because they can get it. From what I understand, their practices are booked up months ahead as well. Go figure. Maybe "the higher the fee, higher the quality" mentality is too prevalent among the rich? Well, no change in price structure since 1994 for Dr. Shapiro.