Regret Your HT?

Predator

Many do I guess

I wish I'd never done it my hair was good enough to pass. The last three months have been bad to worse to even worse, Itching numbness et.c. I lose so much of my grafts and existing hair, even now; that I doubt my result will be worth the effort

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=2397&WebID=920

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Predator:

Many do I guess

I wish I'd never done it my hair was good enough to pass. The last three months have been bad to worse to even worse, Itching numbness et.c. I lose so much of my grafts and existing hair, even now; that I doubt my result will be worth the effort

Predator some people do regret their HT for sure. On another board I was reading about a patient called 80's hairband. I believe he was a Dr Armani patient. He had his HT a while ago and now regrets it. We have a poster on this board named John that had a HT with Dr Weis that has tremendous regrets.

I looked at your blog. I'm a bit confused by your dates. It says you had your procedure done August 28th. That would mean Nov 28th would be 3 months right? Your blog shows pictures listed at 3.75 months. I saw you had your HT with Dr Rahal. I had my HT with Dr Rahal as well. For me I'm cautiously optimistic so far. I'm truly sorry you are having some second thoughts. I believe most people's numbness goes away over time. I really hope things turn out well for you. Everyone says 3 months is way too early to decide anything. I'm about a month and a half ahead of you. I had mine on July 2nd. I wish you the best of luck with everything. Please keep in touch and let us know if things improve. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Predator, not to discount your feelings, but you are not even at the three month mark yet! You are just beginning to enter the phase where growth begins. Slowly but surely you will begin to see some growth. Your hair is still dormant and will begin growing in the next couple of months. The road is tough, but you have made it this far. Have a little patience and I am sure you will begin to see some results.

Unfortunately, this is not an instant gratification process. There are other types of cosmetic procedures with almost instantaneous results, however, this for sure is not one of them. The months before you start to see any type of progress sucks, hence the term the doldrums!

I feel your pain man. Being a month behind you, I know that I have a ton more time before I see anything. I would say that I am almost back to where I was before with the exception that there is still some pinkness, pimples galore, forelock not completely back (due to shockloss)--so basically even uglier than before the HT. But that is part of the journey.

Some guys heal faster, some grow faster, some don't get pimples, some have scars that are almost invisible early on. I know that is hard to see when maybe you are not one of them. You have a long way to go buddy. The doldrums for you will probably last a bit longer, so hang in there.

Keep your chin up and like Spex and Bill have said before, "Throw away all the mirrors". Have a little more patience and know in a couple of months time your feelings about this whole thing will hopefully change. Trust me, I feel what you are going through.

We are all here to help and support each other, so let me know if you need to talk...anytime!!

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Predator when you said you lost so much of your grafts are you sure they were not just the transplanted hairs shedding? From what I have read the grafts are pretty secure after 10 days. If you look at my 2 month pictures you will see most of my transplanted hair shed away as well.

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Predator I sincerely hope this turns around for you. I'm right now considering HT, and appreciate that you have the courage to share with us your current situation. I hope over the next 2-3 months your situation does a 180 and then you let out a HUGE sigh of relief, and say "OK....it was well worth it". Please keep us posted because your situation is certainly of importance to guys like me who are on the fence about whether or not this is an operation that is worth doing.

Hang in there!!!!!!!!!!

Predator,

I 100% agree with E-man. Though it sounds like you have a case of the post-hair transplant blues, you aren't even close to seeing the fruit of all the labor (Dr. Rahal's and yours).

Before concluding that you regret your decision, at least give the result a chance to grow in. I too wasn't a huge fan of the itchiness and numbness, not to mention the terrible shock loss I had after my first two hair transplants, but now that I have hair and no more symptoms associated with the first several months of a hair transplant, I feel so much better about myself.

Try to hang in there.

Bill

Oh one last point. The first 2-3 months are called the ugly duckling period for a reason probably. If you had shock loss you are not alone. Many people have it but it often grows back. Once again I wish you the best of luck. I'm optimistic that things will improve for you in the next 2-10 months. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

I did do my research...

maybe I'll post here again and say how pleased I am with the results and I was glad that I did it in the end. If that is the case I wil be sure to post..I Know about the doldrums and ugly ducklings and I've been telling myself it's normal since month 1. What worries me is despite propecia, continued loss to the forelock area and the thinning down of grafts I lost that grew back (if you follow)I've talked to Rahal about this and they say it's normal. I have confidence in my doctor, my scar is really well healed, but the lingering doubt remains as after 3 Months the itching, redness

Originally posted by Predator:

I did do my research...

maybe I'll post here again and say how pleased I am with the results and I was glad that I did it in the end. If that is the case I wil be sure to post..I Know about the doldrums and ugly ducklings and I've been telling myself it's normal since month 1. What worries me is despite propecia, continued loss to the forelock area and the thinning down of grafts I lost that grew back (if you follow)I've talked to Rahal about this and they say it's normal. I have confidence in my doctor, my scar is really well healed, but the lingering doubt remains as after 3 Months the itching, redness

I definitely understand your concerns. I hope you hang around and post your pictures every month so we can follow right along with you. It can be helpful to other people. I have had some redness also but I thought that was more an effect of the rogaine. I do not have any itching. If you just started taking propecia with your HT it is possible you went through the shred that many people speak about with propecia. As I said previously I'm around 6-7 weeks ahead of you so I went through the doldrums as well for sure. I wish you the best of luck! icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

HT surgery can be overwhelming immediately post-op. You don't really "get hair" after right the surgery. You get a donor incision, scabs, and pinkness. Of course, this passes. And hair does come. As previously mentioned, you are in the early stages with your work. We often hear that transplanted hair starts to come in at 3 months. In general, I think it is more like 3-5 months. It's a challenge, but hang in there.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Originally posted by Mp96:

Dude,

Your only at 3 months or so...You have a long long road ahead of you.

3 months and complaining... icon_smile.gif

MP does your web blog work anymore? Your link doesnt take me to it.

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Hey Predator (I never tought I'd be writing to someone with a screenname "Predator"), please don't be discouraged. I, too, am in the waiting period. It really is hard during this time, but hey, I'm a woman, who had the top of her head shaved! Just think ahead to the summer, when you'll have all the new growth....look at pics of you from last summer and think of how much better it will be in 09. Do not regret your decision- think ahead and try to be positive icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by MikeN:

Predator, the first few months SUCK! See my weblog and you'll be happy with your 3 month pics. It's going to be OK. In another 4 or 5 months, you're going to be happy you did it. It's all going to work out.

Mike I checked it out. Congrats to you. Big improvement from 3-10 months. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Thanks guys i know I'm a better situation than a lot of people, I had 2900 grafts in the front on a Norwood three. probably the reason for such fierce itching and numbness. It's hard not to scratch, and what I find strange is the worst numbness and itching is in the areas he didn't touch^. I'm hoping it will improve soon

My crown itches too and I had no work done in that area. It was numb up there until recently and and now itches.

Like you, I had the front 2/3s worked on, so I found it weird that it was numb. But the itchiness is still here for me as well. I think it is because I am washing my head more than I ever did in the past and it is making it dry.

Sounds like you are doing better, which is good! Keep hanging in there and in time you will slowly start to see the results that you went in for.

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Hi Predator,

Looks like you've recieved alot of good feedback here. I think you're definitely in for a VERY pleasant suprise in the months to come. As you mentioned your existing hairloss with a NW3 puts you at a really good starting point for your HT especially at 41. It must have bothered you enough to proceed with the HT and I definitely think your end result is going to be what you were looking for. From the looks of it your a lucky one and your loss pattern may not progress much futher either. Stay on the propecia.

As for the itching this is very normal. The cause is due to the severed nerves in the donor an recipient areas caused by the incisions. As the nerves grow back you experience this itching sensation and as time goes by the itching goes away along with the numbness as the nerves get all connected back up. Try not to dwell on this much as it really shouldn't be that bad. This process takes longer for some than others. Best of luck to you but I honestly don't think you'll need any.

The da*n thing about MPB is that it is progressive. The good thing about HTs it that it, too, is progressive---only in a good direction. I'd rather have HOPE that my hair will improve rather than HOPE that my hair loss will not get much worse. I have the same feeling about the economy(getting better that is)but a HT seems a whole lot more certain given the current state of technology.

Predator, this period sucks, I have had similar thoughts as I approach the two month mark. I really do empathize. Shockloss blows, the itching I experience where I didn't even have hair planted is fierce but....these are temporary symptoms we all knew we would experience. Don't forget that. icon_biggrin.gif

I don't blame you for having regrets at this stage since it is the hardest phase (as far as the physical appearance of the hair). I know it's a cliche but give it time. You're going to look fantastic my good man. I'm not just saying that, with your characteristics you're going to be a hairy beast. icon_smile.gif

Keep your chin up.

Hey Predator. Did you do any research at all before getting the HT. ? Thats why its so important so you dont have unrealistic expectations post HT.

I understand everyone has different personalities and some worry needlessly more than others. Best thing to do is forget about the HT till at least the 8 or 9 month mark. Then give us all an update then on how the land lies. I would safely bet things will be a lot different for you then.

I am now approximately 8 months post-op and have experienced some growth. My H/t growth has been a little slow comming but Im sure by 12 months post-op I'll be fine,that'll include thickness and maturity etc. I must admit the wait has been agonizingly long . You have days everything looks fine and some days not so fine so you have your ups and downs untill you experience the real thing (real growth). Basically, patience is the essence. " [All good things come to those who wait] " after all patience is a virtue.