Potential Recommendation of Dr. Rosanelli of CA

My comments centered around the bad photos, yes, but since that is all we are presented with to either vote in favour of a doctor or against a doctor, what more am I to go on?

I think he should have purchased a better camera, had some patients post some results and then let us be the judge before being instated as 'recommended'.

Now if after several months he posts some mediocre results, will he be removed? And then how will the patients feel who followed this site's recommendation only to learn he has later been removed, despite a number of concerns from members in the very beginning?

My original comments were "I went through and visited each collection of photos in the order presented. Let me start by saying that before any consideration is given to this Doctor - even for recommendation - we need to see more pre, during and post op photos."

I also asked some questions to the doctor, but didn't solicit a response on why the 1225 graft case was spread out over such a large area and what benefit (sparse at best) it will likely achieve. I closed by saying "... I am holding this Doctor to the same standards I would expect this site to place on any recommended Physician. As it stands, without any further photographic evidence or patient contribution of photos relative to their expectations, I would not support his recommendation."

I still stand by this.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

I know that I'm not a veteran on this board and probably don't have the trained eye others have in regarding quality hair transplantation. But if I saw one of Dr. Rosanlli's patients (the ones in the pictures) walking past me, I would not be able to tell that they had work done. That for me, and I'm sure for all of you, is an important thing. I really don't see how his work can be described as crappy. I think all of those guys look better in the after pictures than the before pictures. What is so bad about this guy's work? What am I missing?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Anytime we are dealing w/ opinion -- especially opinion essentially centered around what is and is not "beauty -- there is a high degree of relative subjectivity. The two questions are of what caliber work Rosanelli does, contrasted with the question of what does it take to get recco'd. Both are subjective, but the former, especially.

I wouldn't say Rosanelli does bad work; I honestly would not recommend a family member to him, either, not that that is a be-all-end-all barometer. I don't think anyone is saying that there is not improvement in the documentation, or that the work is some travesty. Rather, as doctors get better and better -- and more and more transparent -- the standards that people have developed and become accustomed to become ever more stringent and dynamic. Coupled w/ really poor documentation and a lack of megas (which always impress people) and we have the reason why most are leery of actually coming out and saying: "I nominate Rosanelli and feel he should be recommended".

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I would have to agree with you all. I was not happy with the number of sessions it would take to achieve the results shown, especially when you can get a better result with a single session and the same number of grafts by a clinic just north of the border. If someone wanted to stay on the west coast for a HT and asked me who I would recommend, I would say get your passport in order and head up to Vancouver.

I am going to get flamed over this comment, but to me, the session sizes are very Bosely-esque--doing multiple 1000+ graft sessions to get these results. His results are decent and better than Bosely, but it takes too many sessions to get there when in this day and age it can be done in one.

Ultimately I trust Pat and Bill opinion, I just wish we had seen some larger single sessions and better pics.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

These type of decisions are what make this site sort of a joke.

It seems the majority of the posters felt that the work wasn't up to par, yet Bill and Pat kept coming back trying to put some icing on a burned cake.

It is obvious that what the forum posters do or say will have little outcome in the decisions if Bill and Pat already have their minds made up.

Now some poor soul is going to see this recommendation and make an appointment with this Doc and possibly have their head split open, when there are many other doctors much more qualified.

The majority has been silenced. What a shame.

Bill last line say's it all

"rather you agree with our decision or not....."

Sad! Someone must be shelling out some big bucks for this. Also, the guy doesn't even list his prices on his website.

I can only imagine how this 1,200 graft beauty is going to turn out in an area that should have had 3,000 grafts minimum.

Way too Little

Also Bill, if you are adding this doctor against the majority of negative forum member responses, could you at least show the results of your poll with "leading physicians". On record, who were these doctors that gave a positive response regarding Dr. Rosanelli?

Also on another thread you give this reason for not having Dr.Unger on the site.

"The truth is, I haven't seen a lot of Dr. Unger's recent work. I believe he may be doing quality follicular unit hair transplantation now, but I believe he has a preference for smaller sessions less than 2500 grafts. Coalition membership requires surgeons to perform regular sessions exceeding this number on a regular basis WHEN appropriate for the patient."

This sounds similar to Rosanelli's track record.

Dear forum members,

We made our recommendation process as transparent as possible and we value your input. But not every decision we make will be popular.

There are times when considering all the evidence that we will disagree with the popular vote. And even if it goes against the flow, we are going to do what we think is right considering ALL the evidence and input we acquire. We just happen to disagree that the reasons provided (poor photo taking skills and smaller sessions) are good enough not to recommend him.

This is one of the reasons we were initially chastised for adding the Farjo clinic to the Coalition. Ironically, today, the majority of members have no choice by looking at the evidence to say "Pat and Bill were right all along". Though the pride of some won't allow it.

For those of you still complaining about the Rosanelli photo albums showing session sizes as small as 1200 grafts, go back and view the additional photo albums I've linked to showing sessions close to and above 2000 grafts in a single session.

I feel that based on the evidence and information we've acquired, we owe it to this community to give Dr. Rosanelli a chance.

Ultimately, you will have to choose for yourself whether you trust our decision or not.

Regards,

Bill

Byehair,

It's funny you choose to insult us for not listening to you when I don't recall reading any legitimate feedback from you on this thread prior to Dr. Rosanelli's approval.

It's quite clear that you have little faith in our community and instead of providing any legitimate reason not to recommend Dr. Rosanelli when it mattered, you insult us. If you lack the faith in this forum community and our decisions, but fail to offer your input when it counts, why do you come here?

It's apparently easier for you in your anger to ignore the overwhelming evidence that forum member input is valued and often acted upon, such as times when surgeons recommended by this community have been removed. We have also presented surgeons for recommendation in the past and did not approve them based on member input. We just happen to disagree with the reasons presented for not recommending him.

You also apparently did not take the time to read the difference between doctors we recommend and those in the Coalition. To learn the differences, click here. You've also quoted me out of context and didn't complete the quote regarding Dr. Unger. Your failure to quote me correctly is a clear indication that you are trying to make it appear that I'm contradicting myself.

My entire quote is below

Dr. Unger has contributed a lot to the hair transplant field over the years and I own and am in the middle of reading his and Dr. Shapiro's book. It's a great way to learn all you can about yesterday's and today's hair transplants.

The truth is, I haven't seen a lot of Dr. Unger's recent work. I believe he may be doing quality follicular unit hair transplantation now, but I believe he has a preference for smaller sessions less than 2500 grafts. Coalition membership requires surgeons to perform regular sessions exceeding this number on a regular basis WHEN appropriate for the patient.

However, he just very well might meet our standards for recommendation. To see our recommendation and Coalition requirements, click here.

I have not been in contact with him about potentially recommending him to date. But perhaps if he is willing to present a number of examples of his recent work publicly, we can consider him.

Once again, read the differences between recommended and Coalition surgeons.

Bill

Sorry Bill but there is nothing funny about this.

The fact that the MAJORITY of the posters felt that his work was either average or below average is alarming. Posters were talking about his transplant skills as well as his photography skills.

Spin it as you'd like Bill, it is your site and you can do as you please.

But I feel putting 1,200 grafts in an area that should have at the minimum 2,000 and most likely 3,000 grafts is doing little justice for the patient.

As Please Grow Please stated, it is like doing a boob job on only one boob.

Actually I stated my dissatisfaction many months ago:

Posted May 11, 2008 12:55 PM Hide Post

Sorry, but this one doesn't look too good.

Actually I would be very disappointed.

Maybe HTN ought to slow down on the addition of doc's for awhile and let some of these other docs start showing some better results.

It would be sad to think that in a week or two this doctor gets added to your list.

And this was your response to me back in MAY:

I think you ought to have a little more faith in our recommendation process. Just because I am posting these on the physician's behalf does NOT mean that I am endorsing him nor does it mean that we have already made a decision to recommend him.

However, he is being considered, and with your and other member input, we will be able to make a final decision.

I am still waiting for clarification on this particular photo album, but there are also others to evaluate before drawing a final conclusion.

Bill

So yes I did provide a legitimate reason WHEN IT MATTERED.

Looks like you made you decision regardless of member input. Also as I asked before, who were the LEADING physicians that you polled? And why does this doc not put his prices on his website?

Byehair,

Since I've removed none of your posts, there is no reason for them to "no longer be here".

(Edit Note: I see you edited your post to remove your initial accusation that we removed your posts now that you found them")

Despite your claims, nobody made any specific reference to Dr. Rosanelli's surgical skills outside of small sessions. I've already addressed that in my previous post.

You are hung up on the 1200 graft procedure when other albums have been presented showing larger sessions. If you are going to form an opinion, it should be based on all the evidence, not a single photo set.

But since you want to discuss this photo album, why don't you read the clinics explanation for the smaller session performed. For your reference, I've copied and pasted it below:

"If you actually measure the area covered...from the anterior hairline to the pre-auricular line the patient actually has a depth,anterior to posterior of ~ 7cm and side to side ~10cm...this works out to about 35-40 sq cm, a follicular unit density of about 30 per sq cm...for this pt (as to what he expressed as his desired results and budget) this should give a very adequate result...I personalize ALL my treatments and if the pt wants more density I can provide this in the future...HOWEVER he probably will be happy and he has received a nice result for a more affordable price. TR"

You have to consider the patient's hair restoration goals and budget when evaluating photos. Dr. Rosanelli could have done a larger sesions, but started small at the patient's request.

Bill

Byehair,

In addition to the fact that all recommended and Coalition surgeons receive our newsletter, Pat sent out a separate email to several leading surgeons interested in becoming a part of our advisory group. Among the surgeons included in the email were Dr. Ron Shaprio, Dr. Bob Haber, Dr. Ray Konior, Dr. Bill Parsley, Dr. Paul Rose, Dr. Robert True, Dr. Mike Beehner, and Dr. Robert Dorin.

Though not every surgeon had the opportunity to respond, those that did were in favor of his recommendation. We did receive an email from Dr. Devroye in response to our newsletter with a question mark regarding one photo showing an appearance of a jagged donor incision. However, Pat saw nothing strange or unusual about the incision in person. Additionally, based on feedback we've acquired from other surgeons over the years, there are times when slightly jagged incisions can be appropriate.

I am no longer going to argue with you about this. It's time to let it go and move on.

Bill

• 3 months later...

I am new to this forum. I had a consult with Dr. Ronanelli and am seriously considering him for my HT procedure.

This recent forum is now giving me second thoughts.

Has there been any photographic updates to support his work?

Also, forgive my ignorance, but is the Bosley clinic a similar coalition as this?

Thanks in advance.

Trex_450,

As you can see, we decided to recommend Dr. Rosanelli on the Hair Transplant Network.

There are a number of Dr. Rosanelli results posted above and on his recommendation profile and this forum.

Despite some reluctance from a few patient members of this community, based on all the evidence we collected including Pat's visitation to Dr. Rosanelli's clinic, private and public information we collected, we are confident that he's doing solid follicular unit grafting.

You are encouraged to research all surgeons you are considering and select a surgeon you are comfortable with.

Best wishes,

Bill