Week 4-5, after 1st HT did I over pay?

zerro

I'm 38 and a class 5-6 who just had 1600+ transplants done 4+ weeeks ago. I feel I did and continue to do a lot of research about HT. However, at $7000 did I over pay? The doc, which I will perhaps name later, recommends a second session of 1600+ at the same price. Should I look for a different doctor? I chose him because he seemed credible and non-commercial.

Additionally, I really do not know what to expect? (help) I've kept hold of many of the grafts in certain areas however, I felt I shed much of the one side in the first week. Can anyone tell me if this is typical or have I lost them forever?

I counted 8 follicles that I know I lost do to them coming out. If the follicles did not noticeably come out they should be safe, yes?

Also, if I decide to do a second procedure (I really want to wait to see the results of the first,) is shock loss a concern with the first transplants?

Thanks for your help zerro

If woman don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -Steve Smith 'The Red Green Show'

I'm 38 and a class 5-6 who just had 1600+ transplants done 4+ weeeks ago. I feel I did and continue to do a lot of research about HT. However, at $7000 did I over pay? The doc, which I will perhaps name later, recommends a second session of 1600+ at the same price. Should I look for a different doctor? I chose him because he seemed credible and non-commercial.

Additionally, I really do not know what to expect? (help) I've kept hold of many of the grafts in certain areas however, I felt I shed much of the one side in the first week. Can anyone tell me if this is typical or have I lost them forever?

I counted 8 follicles that I know I lost do to them coming out. If the follicles did not noticeably come out they should be safe, yes?

Also, if I decide to do a second procedure (I really want to wait to see the results of the first,) is shock loss a concern with the first transplants?

Thanks for your help zerro

If woman don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -Steve Smith 'The Red Green Show'

Zerro-

did you get a HT from a doc on this site?? It seems you were charged a little higher than the norm. But then again it depends on the results of the HT. In general I've seen most people pay $3 per graft. I had a 2000+ HT by Dr Deyarman in San Diego and paid $7000. Before you make the decision to get another HT, consult with as many doctors as you can find, but DO NOT commit to any of them until you are satisfied with what they are telling you.

Any consult should include a general diagnosis of your current state of hair loss. They should also try and plan on your future hair loss. The doc should also tell you about shock loss and medicinal treatments. ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS BEFORE you decide!!!!!!!!!!

Shiny Side Up!!

tymman...

Yes it was a doc from this site. Dr. Haber in Cleveland. We did talk about future hair loss and meds however, since most of my hair on top was gone, shock loss wasn't a concern and it never came up.

I have the feeling he knew I felt comfortable in his office and he quoted me high. I will definately negotiate better if I do it again.

I have no doubt he knows what he was doing; during the procedure he took quite a bit of care and time (6 hrs.) It's too early to tell if I made a wise choice in selecting him. His professionalism, ethics, knowledge and care did impress me and for what it's worth he told me he was one of the best and like I said I wasn't about to go into one of the commercial slaughter houses.

In truth, I guess I'm a little anxious to see my Ht develop-like, yesterday.

I'm a little confused about the 'ask a lot of questions' it all seeemed pretty cut and dry, quick, easy, simple and relatively painless (although, the iching feeling over the last few weeks is driving me crazy.)

Well, thanx for the reply and I welcome anything you can add.

Here is my opinion on number of grafts and pricing.

Now unless you personally harvested all of the grafts and counted them and then placed them. You have no clue what you're getting at all.

They can tell you you got 2,000 when you only got 1500. Or vice versa.

Some Drs allegedly count and I know some people will argue this fact. But at the end of the day it isn't science. Not even close!

The key is to negotiate. Again some people here will argue with me.I have had 5 surgeries with 2 Drs here on this site with which I am very satisfied and I negotiated every surgery and I am talking very hard negotiating.

I have literally saved myself thousands.

Here is the key.You ask the Dr to cut you from ear to ear which is I believe around 20-25cm with 1/2 blade(again I believe)and you will give him $4,000.

The average person with ear to ear strip will get between 1500-2500 depending on past surgeries or hair density.

They don't give a crap about number of grafts. They want a certain amount of money for a surgery.

Negotiate pricing using those guides and you will be fine.

HS2 damo...

HS2 your correct, the dr probably doesn't care about no. of graphs only his time and staff that is involved and they know the averages better than anyone. My donor was like 16 cm in length. However, I do believe that his staff of 5-6 who prepped the graphs kept a diligent count on each one. -And from what I heard I will definately try to negotiate next time. thanx

Damo my hats off to you for attacking early and aggressively before you became a cue ball like me. I waited to the point where I was wearing a cap everyday for the last five years. Good news though, nobody (or at least only a select few icon_smile.gif) know how bad it was so, there should be less shock or surprise I believe. Someone like you with as much hair as you had/have there probably wasn't any.

I question a doc that gave you 1600 FU's, charges high prices (most top surgeons are about $4 a graft and over 1500 usually drops into the $3 range)-- then that doctor immediately telling you to get 1600 FUs more. Sounds like a profit scheme regardless of how good the doctor is. IF a medical doctor believes you need 3200 FU but doesnt tell you until after the first 1600-- that lacking integrity and character-- a doctor that I would not recommend.

Now if he initially said 3200 but do to cost, said he would split it up-- that is OK because he was upfront and honest-- But still charging almost $5 graft is pretty high.

smoothy...

Honestly guys I have know idea if this guy is any good or not--this is an art form and hopefully I met the current day Da Vinci. I'll let everyone know in 4-5 months.

And from what I'm gathering I may have paid to much. I will certainly compare dr's for future work. By the way, he was totally up front that I needed at least 2 HT's and his prices would drop by $500 dollars for each subsequent work. It sounds like I need to get him to come down by $1500 or more. However, if he is as good as I hope he is, it really doesn't matter--I'll be happy.

I want to add one more thing... the dr. said he could and has done larger sessions however, because I have not had a real hair line in 10+ years he would like to attack the front hairline first with some coverage over the rest and wait until I see how it turns out to see what areas I would like to attack next. Believe me this made a lot of sense to me because... it has been so long I really don't know what it is I will be happy with. What he suggested was... will I want more fullness in front or a even lower hair line or will I be content with that and and attack the back aggressively. Truly, I don't know...it will be a waiting game for me now. -And, waiting sucks!

Zerro, the pricing sounds within reason. There is always going to be variation. I met with Dr. Haber while doing my research in and he struck me as being very knowledgeable and also a straight shooter.

I am also about 5 weeks out(Dr. Charles) and agree the waiting is rough.

zerro,

I'm surprised to hear some of the responses are to the contrary, but the pricing you received is in line with industry norms, with the top docs. Some of the well publicized hair mills actually charge higher than that. At this point it's a sunk cost so don't worry about it, and you should look forward to the results.

Hey, thanks for all the responses the good and the bad (especially the good.)

Powerplay... in the end, why did you not go with Haber? And, since we are both at the same stages, I would like to compare notes now and again if that is alright with you. Additionally, how bad was your hairloss and how many graphs did you get; was it your first?

tkotko... I agree the money is gone. However, to me spending this money is like buying all the farmers crops before he sows the field. No one truly knows what the harvest will be like (to many variables.) In this case, the best we can hope for is to view photos of past harvests, talk to the doctor about his ethics and knowledge and hope that you made a right choice and that the growing season is optimal. No, although a lot for me to spare, the money is not that big of an issue if I made the right choice.

Zerro, I elected to go with Dr. Charles over Dr. Haber, and others because the pics I have seen of his hairline work are very good. In addition Dr. Charles is someone who really puts you at ease. Will answer your questions all day and his personality is first rate.

I also felt Dr. Haber was a bit conservative for the results I was wanting to produce.

I had 1400 grafts all in the frontal hairline. This is my first and hopefully last procedure.

I would be interested to compare notes over the coming months.

I currently have shed about 75% of my grafts,(I have read it's not uncommon for some to just grow right from the start w/o shedding.

I have some pimples at the front occasionally and also a little bit of color still (pink) in certain spots on scalp.

powerplay...

Check out this thread. We're not alone (also newbies.) Original post By KenEastCoast

help!