Hasson & Wong Trichophytic closure results.

All,

Over the years innovations in this industry emerge that warrant investigation and review. Any clinic that wants to offer the best methods and care for their patients will consider these innovations and make the call as to whethor or not it is something that is truly benefitial. To Hasson & Wong most of these innovations have fallen short of their promises and have not offered true advantages for the patient. In some cases they were even counter productive. If we are going to change our methods or add to existing methods we must know that it benefits the patient and truly improves some aspect of the final result in some obviously measurable degree.

One such innovation that we reviewed was the trichophytic closure. After extensive consideration of the evidence provided it was obvious that this relatively minor adjustment to our existing closure method made sense. We hope you agree.

The following link highlights our first documented result thus far with more to come as we have more patients return for follow-up visits. The file is just under 7mb in size. Anything smaller would have jeopardized the quality of the video which for obvious reasons I simply could not do.

Here is the link...

Undetectable Scarring With Tricho Closure

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• Administrators

Joe,

Congratulations not only on using cutting edge techniques but multimedia as well. It's great to see video used online, especially for combing through the donor area. As they say, "seeing is believing". Personally I could not spot the "donor scar" either. Kukos

Interest in optimal donor harvesting and closure techniques has been very high among leading hair restoration physicians. The Trichophytic closure, also sometimes referred to as the "ledge technique", is being used in more and more of the leading hair restoration clinics.

For those who are not familiar with this technique - essentially the upper and lower lips of the open donor area are trimmed so they have a slight bevel. Thus when the donor area is closed and the top lip slightly overlaps the bottom lip the hair follicles contained in the beveled lower lip in time grow up and through the top lip. This not only makes the donor closure look virtually seamless but some claim it also strengthens the closure so that any stretching is minimized.

Given such techniques and careful attention to donor closure, the vast majority of current linear "donor scars" in leading clinics are cosmetically undetectable and a non issue for the patient.

While I think FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) is appropriate in limited and special scenarios, I believe that large and dense "one pass sessions" of ultra refined follicular unit grafting using state of the art donor strip removal and closure will be the procedure of choice for the most demanding and discerning hair transplant patients.

Such large ultra refined procedures enable patients to achieve fast healing and dense coverage over large areas with a minimum of surgical sessions. State of the art strip surgery also is far more cost effective than FUE and in my opinion has a lower transection rate (severed follicles) compared to the FUE technique.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Pat,

Thanks for the props. We will be utilizing video more in the future for these and other types of results.

With respect I need to ammend the information regarding the closure. The closure that we employ is a version introduced by Dr. Frechet in France. He trims the lower ledge of the wound to a bevel so the upper edge overlaps the lower edge. We then employ a few modifications that we have added.

Dr. Marzola in Australia has been using a version of this as well however he prefers to trim the upper edge so that it is overlaped by the bottom edge.

The "Ledge" technique is, I believe, unique to Dr. Rose where instead of a bevel he creates more of a "step".

We reviewed all techniques and opted for our current version based on the work of Dr. Frechet. We made some minor modifications that we feel have improved this overall excellent technique.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi

I just had my 2nd procedure with True & Dorin. They use this type of closure as well. I guess we can score 1 for Strip surgery for all of the "bashers" out there.. They removed my old scar ( which I couldn't see with a 2 guard anyway) and now I had the "Tri" closure..Looking forward to the freedom to go shorter on the sides

Technology is great!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Jotronic,

I just had time to view the video........it's amazing. I watched several times and couldn't catch a glimpse of a scar.

It makes me that much more psyched about my upcoming HT with Dr. Wong later this month. I know I'll be in good hands!

Hairbank

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Guitar Player,

I'm not aware of this. Trichophytic closure only adds a few minutes to the procedure. Once the strip is removed it only entails the trimming of a few millimeters along the edge of the bottom side of the wound. Instead of a right angle on the bottom half of the wound there is a "bevel". A few rows of hair are cut (not transected, just shortened) and they eventually grow through whatever scar forms. I'll try to put together a visual representation of how this works soon.

Dear Joe and H&W Team,

Thanks for sharing the results of this new closure method. I think its a great breakthrough in HT and it only gets better.

My only wish is that either Dr. Wong or Hasson opened an office on the East Coast of the US, I am sure we would fill up their offices.

Thanks so much.

Originally posted by Jotronic:

Guitar Player,

I'm not aware of this. Trichophytic closure only adds a few minutes to the procedure. Once the strip is removed it only entails the trimming of a few millimeters along the edge of the bottom side of the wound. Instead of a right angle on the bottom half of the wound there is a "bevel". A few rows of hair are cut (not transected, just shortened) and they eventually grow through whatever scar forms. I'll try to put together a visual representation of how this works soon.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

Dr. Cooley has been using the Tricophytic closure for about a year now. We think the results are excellant. It means "hair loving". Anyone who has done a procedure with us this last year has this closure. Any surgery can have unpredictable results. However, this closure has given great results everytime. The fact to remember is that a lot of the end result of the donor scar can be the compliance of the patient in post-op instructions. It is very important in the first month to make sure that the scar is not "stretched". For someone who does a lot of weight lifting they have to take care and not tuck their chin to the chest. This can widen the scar after the sutures are removed.

Ailene

Dr. Cooley's assistant

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Dr. Jerry Cooley's personal assistant and clinical supervisor for Carolina Dermatology Haircenter. My postings are my own opinion and may not reflect Dr. Cooley's opinion on any subject discussed.

Dr. Jerry Cooley is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi Everyone, I just had my 3rd procedure done 17-Jan-06 with Dr. Rose. My previous two were done by doctors who are stuck in the past and refuse to use the new technology, which resulted in very wide scars. Dr. Rose was able to use the Ledge technique for closure on most of the scar to revise it (some parts were too tight). So far it looks awesome, feels awesome and appears that old nasty scar I had is finally gone...fingers are crossed. Its like night and day for what the old doc did (not sure if I can say his name without being sued) God what I would to turn the hands of time back and start with Dr. Rose. If you are a first time patient, consider yourself very fortunate to have this closure technique done. Having a permanent wide scar in back is a horrible thing to live with especially when its not even smooth. I will follow up in a month or so with an update on how it looks.

GuitarPlayer,

I guess that I would be a shining example of a revision case from Dr. Cooley's clinic. My first procedure, back in 2004, was done right before Dr. Cooley implemented this closure technique. I was fine with the scar, as it was not visible when shaved with a #3 guard. This past time, however, Dr. Cooley did use the trichophytic closure technique for the donor area. It has only been 4 days, but I will make sure to document the results for the forums.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by JUst-a-guy:

Does anyone know of any doctors doing the Tricho technique to repair scars in NY Area?

I know that True & Dorin Medical Group are successfully utilizing this technique.

To date the physicians I have seen use this technique successfully either through high-res photos or in-person are:

Dr. Cooley of Charlotte, NC

Dr. Paul Rose of Tampa, FL

Drs. Hasson & Wong of Vancouver, Canada

Dr. Ron Shapiro of Bloomington, MN

Drs. True & Dorin of New York, NY

Dr. Jeffrey Epstein of Miami, FL

There are (hopefully many) more, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Time to take my thread back!

Here are the first photos we have of a patient that underwent revision of previous scars via tricho.

He had a pretty bad scar before that branched off into two scars on the left side. This was done at another clinic. The result of revising this scar was excellent but he wanted the best possbile result so he came back once he heard of tricho. At 1.5 months this is the result. It is still very early but considering where he started we feel this is fantastic.

2a%2EJPG

8a%2Ejpg