Hair Transplant #3 w/ Dr. Feller

GratefulHead

I've been gone for quite some time, but I'm back! I'm chillin' 3-days post-op strip HT #3 with Dr. Feller and doing A-OK. I had 1899 FU grafts dense packed into my front-right, mid-scalp, and crown/vertex to hopefully satisfy my hair density greed icon_smile.gif I originally was a thinning Norwood 5A with 20-40% of my original hair at age 33 and had 4711 FU grafts total since then (1503 in June 2003 plus 1309 in Nov 2004 both by Dr. True -- see corresponding stories on this board if interested -- besides the most recent 1899 by Dr. Feller). As for this time around, my swelling is gone on Day 3 and I have no discoloration around my face! That is excellent! The reduced swelling probably resulted from only getting shot up with novicane twice in the donor scar and once in the recipent area during a relatively short less than 6 hour surgery time (I waited till afterwards to even eat lunch by my own preference). Also, sleeping in a recliner at a 45 degree angle as they emphasized really helped fluid drain away from my face. I didn't have a recliner available to sleep in after my first two surgeries. I was very impressed by Dr. Feller and his technicians. I can relate to him also because he has various engineering interests as do I by profession. He has a bit more agressive approach than I was accustomed to, but that is pretty much what I was looking for at age 37 and what is most probably my last large strip (I have average to slightly below-average scalp laxity). The donor pain is by and large gone now (definitely consumed more Vicodin than previous times). This was the first time I had to get shaved down and will try to sport the 2-week buzz-look at Christmas. I go back to work Christmas week on day 11 and hope to get away with a hat because most everyone is on vacation. That way I hope to squeeze out 3 weeks before being nudie-headed at work. I got some ideas from others on here to try to pull this off without going "full disclosure" and have ordered ProThik (for scar camo), bought pure Aloe Vera (help with redness), and Mederma (minimize scar). I've used DermMatch to cover previous HT surgeries as well as Toppik (which I use as low-density camo all the time and love it) and will try whatever camo combo works. I've never had to deal with a buzz-cut and this presents new challenges, but hopefully I can pull it off. Hey, I got away with the first two HTs without a soul suspecting and have to at least try again -- but I really don't care much if I have to tell people either. In conclusion, if anyone out there has other fast-recovery tips or any questions for me, please append away. Peace all.

GratefulHead

I've been gone for quite some time, but I'm back! I'm chillin' 3-days post-op strip HT #3 with Dr. Feller and doing A-OK. I had 1899 FU grafts dense packed into my front-right, mid-scalp, and crown/vertex to hopefully satisfy my hair density greed icon_smile.gif I originally was a thinning Norwood 5A with 20-40% of my original hair at age 33 and had 4711 FU grafts total since then (1503 in June 2003 plus 1309 in Nov 2004 both by Dr. True -- see corresponding stories on this board if interested -- besides the most recent 1899 by Dr. Feller). As for this time around, my swelling is gone on Day 3 and I have no discoloration around my face! That is excellent! The reduced swelling probably resulted from only getting shot up with novicane twice in the donor scar and once in the recipent area during a relatively short less than 6 hour surgery time (I waited till afterwards to even eat lunch by my own preference). Also, sleeping in a recliner at a 45 degree angle as they emphasized really helped fluid drain away from my face. I didn't have a recliner available to sleep in after my first two surgeries. I was very impressed by Dr. Feller and his technicians. I can relate to him also because he has various engineering interests as do I by profession. He has a bit more agressive approach than I was accustomed to, but that is pretty much what I was looking for at age 37 and what is most probably my last large strip (I have average to slightly below-average scalp laxity). The donor pain is by and large gone now (definitely consumed more Vicodin than previous times). This was the first time I had to get shaved down and will try to sport the 2-week buzz-look at Christmas. I go back to work Christmas week on day 11 and hope to get away with a hat because most everyone is on vacation. That way I hope to squeeze out 3 weeks before being nudie-headed at work. I got some ideas from others on here to try to pull this off without going "full disclosure" and have ordered ProThik (for scar camo), bought pure Aloe Vera (help with redness), and Mederma (minimize scar). I've used DermMatch to cover previous HT surgeries as well as Toppik (which I use as low-density camo all the time and love it) and will try whatever camo combo works. I've never had to deal with a buzz-cut and this presents new challenges, but hopefully I can pull it off. Hey, I got away with the first two HTs without a soul suspecting and have to at least try again -- but I really don't care much if I have to tell people either. In conclusion, if anyone out there has other fast-recovery tips or any questions for me, please append away. Peace all.

GratefulHead

Grateful,

Good luck with round #3, would love to see your pics if you can post. Thats great that your head did not swell too badly like it sounds happened in your earlier jobs.

Yea, the buzz look is not for me either (note my alias), It sounds like you are prepared with your camo plan so I am sure you will pull it off. I will go for the hat myself for as long as possible. I go in for #3 in a few weeks and can't wait.

I am sure in good hands with Feller, he is very highly regarded. Do you have any donor left in case the greed factor arises?

NoBuzz

Yo NoBuzz,

Thank you for the good wishes. I've stayed incognito as far as pics go on this board up until this point. If someone wanted to see my pics to help them make a decision, I e-mailed them directly and requested keeping them private. I will reconsider posting pics publicly -- but no promises.

Yeah, I was stoked the swelling was minimal! I had pretty much elephant-man swelling the first time around... probably due to the multiple numbings for a nearly 9 hour surgery and more importantly the fact I slipped down and slept flat the first night. My second surgery had very little swelling similar to this time... probably due to much less liquid injection after I mentioned swelling as a concern to Dr. True and better elevation.

I hear ya about the buzz look. That was an important factor in my decision, but having gone to Dr. True twice I had to try another top surgeon for variety if nothing else. The goal this time around was to add substantial density to my already good coverage. The previous two surgeries served me very well, but to facilitate above-average densities a buzz-cut becomes imperative in conjunction with 0.9mm (or so) blades. As a means to accomplish this end, I was quite willing to buzz and risk people inquiring if I had a HT.

Lastly, yes I do have donor left to accomodate any future need for hair greed. In my non-professional but semi-experienced opinion, I think I could pull off 900 - 1200 grafts down the road given I perform scalp exercises. My scalp laxity isn't THAT bad. Then, of course, there is always FUE. At this point, I believe I will have more than adequate density once I grow in and I plan to save any remaining grafts to fill in potential future lowering of my side margins or other thinning. I've been on Finesteride since December 2001 and it has helped tremendously in stabilizing my hair loss, but the studies do show a slow long-term (multi-year) decline in effectiveness. At 5 years out, I've noticed this in personal experience -- but I also know it would be DRASTICALLY worse if I stopped taking it all together. I want to be prudent and have a solid "non-freak-boy" plan for the long-term, but still achieve density in the near term on top of my already adequate coverage. Generally speaking, I have a fairly high tolerance for risk and given my particular hair situation hopefully I can meet these often times impossible dual-goals of density now without poor consequences much later. Time will tell...

Good deal you are back in for #3 soon like I just was. Who are you having do the work? May you have good success and keep up on those scalp exercises!! Caio for now...

GratefulHead

Congrats on #3 Grateful............here's to quick healing and growth! icon_smile.gif I hope you'll consider posting some pics at some point so we can see the results!!

Best of luck to you!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Gratefulhead...good to see you back on the forums brother. I believe I actually have a set of your photos saved on my hard drive (before and after) from Dr. True from your second HT. If I recall (now I'm not at home so i can't check), you had a pretty nice head of hair already, so I'm sure this transplant will add nicely to your density. If I am mistaken on your hair density, then oops...I've seen a lot of pictures. But I'm going to have to look now when I get home in my archive.

Since we haven't talked for awhile, I did similar to you...I went from Dr. Katz, to Dr. True, to Dr. Hasson. Dr. Hasson pulled off a whopping 3701 grafts thanks to his excellent skill and my diligent scalp exercises. I'm hoping for big changes in the next several months as I'm not almost 2 months post op. I too did the shaving of the head thing...but I'll tell you, overall, this has been the cleaneast hair transplant out of all of them. Scabs didn't last long, redness is minimal, minimal shockloss, minimal swelling, AND the greatest number of grafts unlike the other surgeries. I'll attribute these things to Dr. Hasson's amazing skill. Of course, I can't sing praises yet because I'm still waiting on the final result...but I'm confident, just as you should be.

I respect your privacy for wanting to keep your photos off the forums, but may I suggest that you post your photos but block out the face? if you want, I can help you with that if you send me photos, I can block out the face and send them back to you. It's your call though.

Again, good to see you on here.

Bill

Originally posted by hairbank:

Congrats on #3 Grateful............here's to quick healing and growth! icon_smile.gif I hope you'll consider posting some pics at some point so we can see the results!!

Best of luck to you!

Sounds great Grateful!! and I repeat what was said above! icon_smile.gif pics if possible would be very nice to see please.

Hairbank & BadhairUK,

Thanks and no worries... I'm considering away (posting pics that is)...

Nikkop23,

I'm glad my above appends answered your question on "why the doc switch". To further elaborate, I was looking to be more aggressive in terms of density. There are other threads on here discussing the technical advantages of combining a two-stage buzz/shave-down with small custom blades, so I won't bore everyone with details. Furthermore, I'm all about variety and non-excessive risk in general. Don't get me wrong -- I have zero regrets about my first HT with Dr. True. I was VERY self-conscious about my thinning in public, especially at the vertex/crown. So employing a relatively lower density all-over transplant to reinforce my hairline, provide coverage in the crown/vertex, and fill-in my thin front/mid-scalp without shave-down was ideal for me!!! With or without Toppik I had a remarkable transformation in my opinion -- just awesome with Toppik!! I went from lots of unsolicited comments about my hairloss to very nice compliments. Having a full-head improvement all at once without shave-down was the perfect solution for me since my MPB self-consciousness at the time made it extremely important that no one knew I had a HT. And no one did -- except one friend who I voluntarily told. I went with Dr. True again for my second HT (where I was just looking to add density) because of my good first HT experience and I liked him. While I attained some added density with #2, my untransplanted hair MPB natural attrition slowly marched forward (see Finesteride comments above) and my greed for density just wasn't satisfied. Hence, enter Dr. Feller based on lot's of contributors to these and other forums...

Sup Bill?!

I remember YOU!! I'm glad to see you are doing so well folicularly and otherwise! You have come a long way since we last talked and are looking good! I think you have made some really good decisions and have become quite an advocate presence on this forum... well done! icon_smile.gif But yes, I did send you HT pics a while back. You are not mistaken... spot on -- although density is in the eye of the beholder. < Nice!!! ProThik just arrived at my door from Folica... THAT WAS FAST! I digress... sorry icon_smile.gif > I'm really happy you are satisfied with Dr. True and so far with Dr. Hasson!! You have every reason to be confident you will achieve as lush a density as possible! 3701 grafts after 3849 previously is simply amazing!! You are very blessed with donor riches icon_smile.gif Even more, good deal with your most recent minimal swelling, scab time, redness, and shockloss! I can only hope and pray to be similarly fortunate. Thank you on your offer to doctor up my photos and general well wishes... I will get back to you on the pics. May you continue to heal and grow far beyond your wildest expectations...

GratefulHead

Gratefulhead,

Glad you remember me. Thanks for the kudos brother. I just went back in my archive and looked at your pics. Of course, lighting could be everything, but your pics look pretty darn good after your second HT, but I do see areas in the mid scalp and crown area where it could use a bit more density (don't we all?)...but all around looking good! Actually the pictures I have seem to already have the face blocked out...so obviously you (or someone) knows how to do that icon_wink.gif. But if you need my help, I'll be happy to help. Hopefully you will as blessed with a clean transplant as I was the third time around! Hopefully our RESULTS will be even more astounding! Good to see you again!

Bill

Gratefulhead,

Thanks for the update on your recent HT with Dr. Feller. I am planning on scheduling a consultation with him at some point during the next 4 months or so to see what he can do for me in the way of a final surgery for added density in along the hairline and some additional coverage in the crown area. My 1st surgery was 13 years ago, and I have had total of 6, though 4 of them were very small compared to today's standards. So much has changed in the HT field over recent years as far as the number of grafts per session and techniques for obtaining a natural appearance. Unfortunately, I was thinning pretty bad by 22 and felt I had to do something about it rahter than wait a few more years.

I am excited to see what Dr. Feller may be able to offer me. As far as the shaving goes, is that standard for all patients or just on a case by case basis depending what your needs are? I too have been able to keep the fact that I have had HT's a secret since I started the procees before I was bald and have always been able to keep enough natural coverage over the years. However, a close-up view from the sides (at the right angle) is detectable since I need some more density. A shaved-head would probably be a dead give away for me (particularly since I would have some noticeable scars from old surgeries), but just a short cut shouldn't present any problems.

After I buy a digital camera this X-Mas. I post some pics. for opinions. I hope you decide to post some pics from your recent HT as well.

Best of luck on your healing and growth.

Hi Shorty B,

You are certainly welcome regarding my HT #3 update. Man, you have been through A LOT of surgeries! It is unfortunate you were thinning pretty bad before HT technology really came of age by today's standards, but thankfully for us all it has been possible to obtain very good/excellent results in the hands of the right surgeon for some years. Better late than never Shorty B!

As far as shaving goes, I asked Dr. Feller if I could have my existing hairs left as long as possible because I was going back to work in 11 days and Christmas was in 2 weeks. He said during my consult that it might be a deal-breaker for me but he needed to make me into a skin-head!! (well, those weren't his exact words icon_wink.gif). I said "fine" because there is no way I was going to live with regrets if my density didn't come out close to the way I wanted (my main goal) AND I didn't do everything possible on my part to facilitate that outcome. I would just be buzzed and figure out how to deal with it. So I think the general rule is you need to be buzzed if you have existing hair in the target recipient area -- although you need to talk to Dr. Feller on whether or not he can make an exception on a case-by-case basis. I wasn't going to get into it in this thread, but since you asked, here are some of the advantages of buzzing...

1.) First a buzz to maybe 1/4" allows the doctor to make recipient sites at the same angle as existing hair without the potential error introduced by the added length/weight of long hair.

2.) It makes it easier to avoid transecting the follicles of existing hair because the overhead view is unobstructed and the true hair angle helps best locate existing FUs under the skin. For the same reasons, it faciliates filling in uniform high recipient density. Finally, it helps the doc to better take into consideration existing miniturized hairs while mapping out the final density.

3.) Next, after all the recipient sites are made, a second very short afternoon-shadow type length super-buzz is performed. Again, not having full-length hair faciliates technician FU placement by better seeing the incision angle while inserting the grafts and generally not missing individual recipient sites -- especially during a once-over unfilled recipient final check.

4.) As the transplant progresses, the scalp undergoes increasing degrees of trama. If the adjacent existing hair is buzzed out of the way the underskin FUs in already tramatized scalp are not further stressed by continual moving around of the existing hair to allow for overhead visibility. This may result in less shock-loss given transplanted density and everything else being equal.

5.) Furthermore, getting the existing hair out of the way should decrease the total surgery time -- which in turn means grafts are outside of your head for less time. The end result may be better growth yield and possibly more transplanted hairs not intially shedding (although this is probably negligable). The higher the desired density and the larger the session, the more important each of the above factors becomes. A lower-density all-over coverage type of transplant can and is commonly successfully performed without shaving. I know because I had that done twice with good results.

(Dr. Feller, Please feel free to set me straight or add to any of the above as I am utterly unqualified in the medical arena. I'm just trying to scrape together some info from what you told me and from other posters on this forum to help Shorty B.)

I hope this helps with your decision making process and I wish you the best outcome no matter what you decide. I certainly would be happy to take a look at some of your pics and give a non-pro opinion if you want to post them. As far as me doing the same... yeah, yeah, I know... EVERYONE WANTS PICS!! What if I am just a mysterious type of guy??? What if I'm just stealthy like that??? I'll consult my people and get back to you..........

GratefulHead

P.S. - Bill, you did promise to keep those pics confidential, right?? What are they still doing on your harddrive anyway??!

Gratefulhead,

Thanks for the info on the buzz-cut, it was very insightful.

I too have always used the X-Mas holiday time to get any HT's done since I am able to get about 15 days away from work without using all my vac. time. I could probably strecth it out to 3 weeks, but that would be it. Not sure how the buzz would look at that point since I haven't had one since high school.

Looking forward to those pics (after you consult your people of course).